• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm wanting to do my first interrail at the start of April, possibly following this itinerary:

I understand that the Interrail website lets you book reservations. Is that the best option, or is there a better (both cost/ease) way to book them? Also, would you recommend the above as I would ideally like to do sleeper trains. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If you’ve not already looked, this resource is invaluable for all things interrail, including booking seats. On a recent (my first!) interrail to Germany I found booking directly with LNER and DB was much easier.

Veteran Member
Only book via Interrail if you can't book direct with the operator.

As to itinerary, it is some 40 years since I did these routes but the scenery won't have changed (there's a few more bits in tunnel now!).
I would suggest skipping Stavanger altogether, as it is the least spectacular of the routes suggested.
I couldn't do the Åndalsnes branch but it is reportedly well worth it.
If time and money allow, go further North on the bus to Narvik and return through Sweden (or v.v. of course).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I haven't a lot of experience with Norway, but I do recommend the branch from Dombas. I did it in March 2017 (good gravy was it really that long ago) and it was a beautiful journey. I did a trip report on my Norwegian adventure, the relevant entry on my World Frenzy blog should be here:

The InterRail bits I can't help with, but I'd certainly recommend getting reservations where possible. It just makes sense.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm wanting to do my first interrail at the start of April, possibly following this itinerary:

I understand that the Interrail website lets you book reservations. Is that the best option, or is there a better (both cost/ease) way to book them? Also, would you recommend the above as I would ideally like to do sleeper trains. Thanks!

If you're only doing a single country then have you considered just booking tickets with NSB instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.