• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interregional in Romania

CS2447

Just been charged 12 Ron Romanian on an Interregional in Romania , the Guard said this is not covered with Interrail train number 10517 Razboieni to Cluj Napoca , I can not find any relevant info that this company use is excluded on the Interrail Pass, any body out there point me to the relevant web page exception.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Train 10517 is operated by the private company Interregional and therefore the guard was correct. Interrail is not valid o n this train.

Veteran Member
Just been charged 12 Ron Romanian on an Interregional in Romania , the Guard said this is not covered with Interrail train number 10517 Razboieni to Cluj Napoca , I can not find any relevant info that this company use is excluded on the Interrail Pass, any body out there point me to the relevant web page exception.
Does it appear in the OJP? It isn't in DB's so I guess not.

mad_rich

I don't think you need to find an exception written anywhere. It's the other way round - the default position is No, unless explicitly covered.

The vast majority of European carriers are covered by the pass, of course, so in reality you can usually just look for the few that aren't. But you can't rely on it.

peteb

When we were at Brasov last year there was a train for Bucurest (EMU) going before our (loco hauled) Inter Regional train and when asked the guard said interrail wasn't valid as it's a "private train", by which we took it to mean private firm running it. Incidentally we got ticked off once or twice for not paying the seat reservation fee on the IR valid trains, but were never asked to pay up.

When we were at Brasov last year there was a train for Bucurest (EMU) going before our (loco hauled) Inter Regional train and when asked the guard said interrail wasn't valid as it's a "private train", by which we took it to mean private firm running it. Incidentally we got ticked off once or twice for not paying the seat reservation fee on the IR valid trains, but were never asked to pay up.
I think only local trains and very slow regional trains are exempt from seat reservation charges in Romania for interrail pass holders unless something's changed since 2023.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That would be Softrans (a branch of the Softronic manufacturing group) who run three trains a day Craiova-Bucuresti-Brasov and vv.
You can book direct: https://www.softrans.ro/mersul-trenurilor.html

One of these trains used to go from Bucuresti to Constanza, but now it's just to Brasov.

U-Bahnfreund

From the Interrail app:

Our Pass Network
One Country Pass (OCP) and Global Pass (GP) that is valid for Romania can be used on all train services run by the national railway company CFR Calatori. All other operators in Romania are excluded.

superalbs

Established Member
As stated by others, the train is operated by Interregional Călători, who do not accept Interrail. I guess you will have to stomach the £2 loss.

CS2447

I don't see any CFR train by that number. What was its departure time?
Razboieni 0934 To Cluj Napoca 1056
Tren 19517 Regio Express, ok it's only 12 Ron which is nothing but but it should be listed as an excluded Train company on Interrails relevant info Regarding Romanian Train Operators

I think only local trains and very slow regional trains are exempt from seat reservation charges in Romania for interrail pass holders unless something's changed since 2023.
I don't think this was a seat Reservations issue , the guard after getting help from other passengers , Interrail was not valid on this Private Interregional Regio Express, but I can not confirm this , I've messaged Interrail and am waiting a response , will update
The Interregional Regio are the Red ones BTW old Austrian Rolling Stock

As stated by others, the train is operated by Interregional Călători, who do not accept Interrail. I guess you will have to stomach the £2 loss.
Cheap as Chips over here

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Sorry but it is 100% clear. On the Interrail App on the Romania page it says only valid on CFR Calatori. All other operators are excluded.

superalbs

Established Member
Razboieni 0934 To Cluj Napoca 1056
Tren 19517 Regio Express, ok it's only 12 Ron which is nothing but but it should be listed as an excluded Train company on Interrails relevant info Regarding Romanian Train Operators

I don't think this was a seat Reservations issue , the guard after getting help from other passengers , Interrail was not valid on this Private Interregional Regio Express, but I can not confirm this , I've messaged Interrail and am waiting a response , will update
The Interregional Regio are the Red ones BTW old Austrian Rolling Stock
As stated here, it is only valid on CFR trains: