• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

BRX

Established Member
I have a hunch it's filtering stuff out that's considered outside the search window. This effectively means you can't force an "extra mins" change that would push the itinerary outside of the four hour window that we use for searches.

I'd have to check to know for sure, though.
Does that mean, when I choose "depart after" it looks for any itineraries that start within the four hours after that time?

It must be normal for itineraries to complete outside that window, obviously, because many itineraries are longer than four hours.

Is it something like, the train that continues the itinerary after the forced stop, originates from the start station, at a time beyond the start window, and therefore gets filtered out?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
A friend of ours wishes to travel from Hebden Bridge to Fareham on Tuesday 11th July, using her Senior Railcard. Looking on the RailUK Tickets site, I see that there are some extemely good value fares available via Leeds, Kings Cross and Victoria. As she is elderly and will be travelling with quite a lot of luggage, she has asked me whether the 'via Victoria' fares would also be valid on Thameslink services from St Pancras to East Croydon for an easier connection. I think I know the answer to this, but I would appreciate confirmation or otherwise from the experts on here. Thanks in anticipation.
Made the booking this morning - using 'via Stevenage' and East Croydon - and our friend seems to be very happy with her split journey return fare of £72.06, returning on 25th July. She could have saved about an extra £10 in total by going via Kings Cross/Victoria, but she wasn't overly keen on taking her luggage on the Underground. In fact I have advised her that it will be easier to change at Crawley (same platform) rather than having to cross from platform 6 to platform 3 at East Croydon. I hope that will be permitted.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In fact I have advised her that it will be easier to change at Crawley (same platform) rather than having to cross from platform 6 to platform 3 at East Croydon. I hope that will be permitted.
What fares has she been issued?

D6130

Established Member
What fares has she been issued?
IIRC, on the outward journey:

Advance single Hebden Bridge-Leeds
Advance single Leeds-East/West Croydon via City Thameslink
Advance single East Croydon-Fareham

....and on the return:

Advance single Fareham-East Croydon
Advance single EastWest Croydon-Peterborough via City Thameslink
Advance single Peterborough-Leeds (with the itinerary showing change at Stevenage)
Advance single Leeds-Hebden Bridge

Will have to confirm the above when she gets her itinerary printed out from her confirmation e-mail.

Do I recall correctly that advance singles are not valid for start of journey short of the designated station of origin unless specified in the itinerary?

MrJeeves

Established Member
Do I recall correctly that advance singles are not valid for start of journey short of the designated station of origin unless specified in the itinerary?
Correct (and the itinerary won't say that).
In fact I have advised her that it will be easier to change at Crawley (same platform) rather than having to cross from platform 6 to platform 3 at East Croydon. I hope that will be permitted.
You've been given advance tickets, so you must follow the itinerary provided. She can't change at Crawley.

eastend43

I've recently started using RailUK Tickets instead of Avanti for Liverpool to London bookings. I had a booking with Avanti to London (Advance Single), with a Two Together railcard for next month, but found out today that my travelling companion needs to go to a funeral in Birmingham at the exact same time we are booked to go to London with Avanti. I knew that we didn't have a right to a refund or change the Two Together booking to just me, but contacted Avanti anyway and they were willing to do it as a good will gesture.

Unfortunately, by the time Avanti had replied (a few hours later) I had booked our separate tickets with RailUK Tickets. As my partner needed to stay overnight to get to the funeral, I made two separate bookings. I'm usually pretty good at making bookings, but for some reason I ended up paying extra for a London Zone 1 ticket from Marylebone to Euston which I don't need. The website must have offered me London Euston as my destination and when a ticket came up with what I thought was a good price (£9.40) I clicked on it.

Later in the purchase I did noticed that it said my ticket was to London Zone 1. I had worked out by then that it would be a Chiltern train they would be travelling on, but just thought that was how they described their ticket to London (after all, Marylebone is in Zone 1).

It wasn't until later when I booked my new travel to London, deciding to go via Birmingham to get the same train as my partner from there, I found that the fare from Birmingham to London should have been £6.40.

When I contact RailUK tickets / Trainsplit support, I just got made to feel that I'm stupid as they felt that it was completely my fault that I bought the separate ticket from Marylebone to Euston for £3.00. They did point out that if I had contacted them within 2 hours they have a 'grace period' but I was outside of that.

So given that I had to contact customer support for Avanti and for RailUK Tickets today, I would have thought the latter would have provided the best customer service, but that wasn't the case. With Avanti, it clearly wasn't their fault I needed to change a booking, but they still did it. I felt it was RailUK's website that was at least partially at fault, but they didn't seem to care.

And I am now left wonder why a website, which makes great claims about saving the customer money (and usually does), charged me £3.00 for a single Zone 1 underground trip, which costs £2.80 (peak) or £2.70 (off peak) if I bought it separately using contactless. I suppose they would claim that it's cheaper than the £6.70 paper ticket between two Zone 1 mainline stations.

OK, it's only £3.00 and I will have made more than £3.00 savings using their site, but I would have thought they provided better customer service than Avanti.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I'm not a massive fan of the fact that this thread has turned into a place to seemingly escalate customer support issues, but:

The website must have offered me London Euston as my destination and when a ticket came up with what I thought was a good price (£9.40) I clicked on it.

I've checked the search logs; "London Euston" was specifically searched for, and picked as the destination:

Screenshot from 2023-06-23 14-20-58.png
(NLC 1444 is London Euston)

The journey planner then planned you a journey from Solihull to London Euston and sold you tickets valid through to London Euston. You then wrote to customer support and complained that the site had sold you tickets valid for travel to the destination you entered into the search form.

it would appear that an opportunity to check the suggested itinerary and ticket breakdown was not taken during the search process, on the ticket information page, or on the checkout page where the tickets are summarised before payment. Similarly, an opportunity was not taken to request a refund during the fee-free same-day void period.

And I am now left wonder why a website, which makes great claims about saving the customer money (and usually does), charged me £3.00 for a single Zone 1 underground trip, which costs £2.80 (peak) or £2.70 (off peak) if I bought it separately using contactless. I suppose they would claim that it's cheaper than the £6.70 paper ticket between two Zone 1 mainline stations.
Third-party retailers cannot sell TfL's fares. They must either apply the add-on fares documented in the internal knowledgebase (table below) - rewriting the London Terminals fare to include travel validity within the required zones - or else sell a paper travelcard. Legs must not be left unticketed by default (i.e. retailers cannot just assume customers are happy to use an Oyster card by default). As you observe, a paper travelcard would have been more expensive than the final ticket you were sold.

These add-on fares are variations of a ticket through to a London Terminal. They cannot be presented as a separate ticket, because they are not - the TIS is selling one ticket from Solihull to London including Zone 1.

Add-on fares table showing that £3 was the correct additional amount to charge for the ticket.

I felt it was RailUK's website that was at least partially at fault

I had worked out by then that it would be a Chiltern train they would be travelling on, but just thought that was how they described their ticket to London (after all, Marylebone is in Zone 1).

I appreciate you feel that the website was unclear. The ticket destination was shown as London Underground Zone 1, which means the ticket includes Underground Zone 1 validity. It would be entirely misleading to use the terminology "London Underground Zone 1" to describe a terminus station (London Marylebone) where the ticket doesn't have validity in London Underground Zone 1. In fact, I'm quite confident a ticket issuing system doing that would fail its accreditation.

No customers should be being made to "feel stupid" after purchasing from the RailUK Tickets retailer (or indeed, any Raileasy site), and it's acknowledged and well-understood that customers make mistakes every day. Customers receive goodwill gestures on a regular basis, even where they have made mistakes themselves, but sometimes it's the case in life that we screw something up and have to take repsonsibility, figure out what it was that we got wrong and sometimes swallow the financial loss for the mistake.

I don't think the customer service rep's response to you was disparaging or derogatory; although it could've included an apology for the inconvenience of no refund being available under these circumstances.

Last edited:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just to endorse what @Adam Williams says above - lets not have this turn into a support escalations thread please. We definitely welcome feedback and suggestions here, but it undermines the excellent work of Trainsplit's support staff if follow-ups to their responses are aired publicly in this thread.

If there really is a genuine major support issue that you think should be brought to the attention of the forum team directly to follow up, please PM a team member, but for the most part, let's keep support related to specific bookings through the proper channels. Thanks!

Snow1964

Established Member
Just booked 3 tickets from my local station Bradford on Avon to London Paddington, and due to railcards was cheaper than group save, so entered it as separate with each railcard and added them to Basket. (Can't enter multiple railcard types together)

Bought them in one transaction, but it has allocated seats in different coaches on same trains, is there a way to force it to put the seats together when you buy it together.

In meantime, is there a way to change the allocated seats so we can travel as a family group.

We have ended up with mix of coach C and H changing to L and K on outward (same train), and coach D and B changing to anywhere (connecting train) on return. (Yes I know both coach C and coach H don't both stop in BoA as only 5car platforms, which is why I am surprised allocated this way, presumably a system glitch)

EDIT : the seats are now close together, thanks to those who helped

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
Just booked 3 tickets from my local station Bradford on Avon to London Paddington, and due to railcards was cheaper than group save, so entered it as separate with each railcard and added them to Basket. (Can't enter multiple railcard types together)

Bought them in one transaction, but it has allocated seats in different coaches on same trains, is there a way to force it to put the seats together when you buy it together.

In meantime, is there a way to change the allocated seats so we can travel as a family group.

We have ended up with mix of coach C and H changing to L and K on outward (same train), and coach D and B changing to anywhere (connecting train) on return. (Yes I know both coach C and coach H don't both stop in BoA as only 5car platforms, which is why I am surprised allocated this way, presumably a system glitch)

Happy to PM my booking reference if anyone knows how to change it, but don't want to put that on open forum.
I believe customer services resolved this one?

mangyiscute

Established Member
I'm having a issue with the website - I want to travel from Reading to Doncaster but doing the line from Peterborough to Doncaster via Sleaford and Lincoln. My aim is to take the 06:15 from Kings Cross and change onto the 07:31 at Peterborough which goes direct to Doncaster. However, the website doesn't seem to offer this route even when I include travel via Spalding or Metheringham, and always tries to send me southbound along this section and then back up the ECML, despite being longer and presumably more expensive routes.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm having a big issue with the website - I want to travel from Reading to Doncaster but doing the line from Peterborough to Doncaster via Sleaford and Lincoln. My aim is to take the 06:15 from Kings Cross and change onto the 07:31 at Peterborough. However, the website seems incapable of coping with the simple suggestion of travelling via Spalding or Metheringham, and always tries to send me southbound along this section and then back up the ECML. I don't understand why it is doing this, it is such a long and stupid route and I want an explanation, because it means i can't buy tickets for what is a very simple route
I'm not quite sure what you mean but I've been able to get it to put you on the desired trains by playing with the advanced settings. See for instance:

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm not quite sure what you mean but I've been able to get it to put you on the desired trains by playing with the advanced settings. See for instance:

Going via Grimsby isn't much better than the route the OP was offered - the 0731 from Peterborough is a direct train to Doncaster. I also tried and couldn't get the itinerary the OP desires, even limiting the search to travel from Kings Cross.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
This is an enquiry and a point for discussion, not a complaint!

I used the site recently, I tried the e-ticket option, everything arrived as expected, but....
....the pdf is very narrowly defined i.e. little to no white space around the edges. My phone has a forward facing camera which obliterates part of the pixel thingy and there seems no way to fully adjust the pdf so it is in the centre of the phone screen. A nice helpful man at the gateline managed to enlarge the pdf and move it down sufficiently for the gate to read it but the entirety of the pixel thingy was still not visible.

I like to use the site as it means I can donate to support the running of the forum, but I don't want the worry caused by this pdf issue, I no longer have a printer and my local station has a TVM but doesn't do ToD.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going via Grimsby isn't much better than the route the OP was offered - the 0731 from Peterborough is a direct train to Doncaster. I also tried and couldn't get the itinerary the OP desires, even limiting the search to travel from Kings Cross.
Yeah for some reason it doesn't seem to like offering the direct train, not too sure why.

Ahh gotcha, I hadn't clocked that it was a direct train! In that case I'm not sure, hopefully one of the people floating around here who know more about the engine underneath will have an idea :)

mangyiscute

Established Member
Ahh gotcha, I hadn't clocked that it was a direct train! In that case I'm not sure, hopefully one of the people floating around here who know more about the engine underneath will have an idea :)
I imagine it's just a weird edge case that for some reason causes issues - of course, it's impossible to test every combination and there's always gonna be some weird things that cause an issue.

BRX

Established Member
I too couldn't get it to work when it seems like it ought to - for some reason it just doesn't want you to stay on that 7.31 train even though it goes direct to your destination. Trying to force it using a max no of changes breaks it.

OscarH

Don't have time to have a play right now, but out of interest, will that leg be sold direct if you search for just that leg, and if not will that leg be sold direct on other sites?

Just want to check this isn't a compulsory reservation related problem where its run out of quota for even flexible tickets

Haywain

Veteran Member
Don't have time to have a play right now, but out of interest, will that leg be sold direct if you search for just that leg, and if not will that leg be sold direct on other sites?

Just want to check this isn't a compulsory reservation related problem where its run out of quota for even flexible tickets
Yes, that train will be sold as a through train for a Peterborough to Doncaster journey.

XAM2175

Established Member
I used the site recently, I tried the e-ticket option, everything arrived as expected, but....
....the pdf is very narrowly defined i.e. little to no white space around the edges. My phone has a forward facing camera which obliterates part of the pixel thingy and there seems no way to fully adjust the pdf so it is in the centre of the phone screen. A nice helpful man at the gateline managed to enlarge the pdf and move it down sufficiently for the gate to read it but the entirety of the pixel thingy was still not visible.
If I understand you correctly, that's the standard industry format for e-tickets from all retailers, rather than a Trainsplit-specific choice.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
If I understand you correctly, that's the standard industry format for e-tickets from all retailers, rather than a Trainsplit-specific choice.
Pre Covid I used to buy e-tickets via the East Midlands app, but that was with a different phone (no forward camera) and I can't remember what they looked like on screen. Given that it is my responsibility to ensure I have a legible ticket or else (pay again or a 'fine' of some kind) the current industry standard is therefore not one which will will encourage me to go down the e-delivery route!

There is a thread running currently about e-delivery and charging an extra amount (£1) for ToD which seems to be receiving general support. I may have to return to cash, real cash not even card payment, as the nearest TVM is unfathomable. At least I can still use a cash-point without having to tell it why I want the money, where and when I am going to use it!

The RailUK site is just a convenient way to financially support the forum with a modest donation with each transaction.

mangyiscute

Established Member

Yeah I can find it on other sites, including an advance ticket from Stevenage to Doncaster changing at Peterborough using this train.
I can also find it on the trainsplit website while looking at just a Peterborough to Doncaster journey, with the required via points

OscarH

Yes, that train will be sold as a through train for a Peterborough to Doncaster journey.
Cheers, I'll leave a message for someone to look into it properly next week

Pre Covid I used to buy e-tickets via the East Midlands app, but that was with a different phone (no forward camera) and I can't remember what they looked like on screen. Given that it is my responsibility to ensure I have a legible ticket or else (pay again or a 'fine' of some kind) the current industry standard is therefore not one which will will encourage me to go down the e-delivery route!

There is a thread running currently about e-delivery and charging an extra amount (£1) for ToD which seems to be receiving general support. I may have to return to cash, real cash not even card payment, as the nearest TVM is unfathomable. At least I can still use a cash-point without having to tell it why I want the money, where and when I am going to use it!

The RailUK site is just a convenient way to financially support the forum with a modest donation with each transaction.
There isn't much that can be done to change the PDFs, but you might be to solve this by using Google Wallet instead of the PDFs, which places the barcode further down. Other than that, a different PDF reader or one of the Android pkpass apps might also work

js517

Cheers, I'll leave a message for someone to look into it properly next week

There isn't much that can be done to change the PDFs, but you might be to solve this by using Google Wallet instead of the PDFs, which places the barcode further down. Other than that, a different PDF reader or one of the Android pkpass apps might also work
Or enable auto-rotate and hold the phone horizontally.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Or enable auto-rotate and hold the phone horizontally.
Yes, that was one option I considered if my ticket had been unreadable, but I have auto-rotate turned off because, well, it keeps auto-rotating when I don't want it to.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, that was one option I considered if my ticket had been unreadable, but I have auto-rotate turned off because, well, it keeps auto-rotating when I don't want it to.
Same here; it should be easy to turn this feature on and back off, though. That's what I do when required. It's also an option to print e-tickets, if you wish.
Yeah I can find it on other sites, including an advance ticket from Stevenage to Doncaster changing at Peterborough using this train.
I can also find it on the trainsplit website while looking at just a Peterborough to Doncaster journey, with the required via points
This is being investigated right now; I will let you know when it's fixed :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Any feedback is appreciated, either on the booking engine functionality (which we'll pass onto Trainsplit) or the look and feel - just reply to this thread.
Is the website able to issue through day return tickets, for local/regional flows where they're available, to "Raveng/ Esk Rlwy" (as opposed to "Ravenglass for Eskdale")?