• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverclyde timetable recast

Christmas

ScotRail has made the decision to completely recast its Inverclyde timetable. This is a positive, particularly for those on the Wemyss Bay line who will soon enjoy a half hourly service for the main part of the day. Gourock will also have a half hourly all stop service and a limited stop train too. Oddly the last fast from Glasgow to Gourock is at 18.25 yet the last Gourock to Glasgow fast is at 19.35.

This just shows that ScotRail now needs to get the same done for its Ayrshire lines which has seen a cut in services since their 'fit for the future' timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
ScotRail has made the decision to completely recast its Inverclyde timetable. This is a positive, particularly for those on the Wemyss Bay line who will soon enjoy a half hourly service for the main part of the day. Gourock will also have a half hourly all stop service and a limited stop train too. Oddly the last fast from Glasgow to Gourock is at 18.25 yet the last Gourock to Glasgow fast is at 19.35.

This just shows that ScotRail now needs to get the same done for its Ayrshire lines which has seen a cut in services since their 'fit for the future' timetable.
Inverclyde and Ayrshire were put out to consultation last year, as was Fife.

Gourock gets a half-hourly semi-fast to reduce headline journey times after the complaints, with Wemyss Bay becoming half-hourly to preserve a 30-min interval service at the stops the Gourocks now omit to make them faster.

Gourock doesn't get a half-hourly stopping service all day, just the semi-fasts.

Christmas

So stations like Bogston and Cartsdyke are only going to get one train per hour? Looks like there's going to be a lot of changing at Port Glasgow. This isn't an improvement on the pre Covid timetable at all.

roadierway77

So stations like Bogston and Cartsdyke are only going to get one train per hour? Looks like there's going to be a lot of changing at Port Glasgow. This isn't an improvement on the pre Covid timetable at all.
No they'll still get half hourly calls on the Gourock - Glasgow semi-fasts. Overall the changes aren't an improvement over 2019 as Gourock and Greenock to Glasgow is still down two trains an hour and Port Glasgow is down one, but it's as best as we can get for now. It'll certainly make the train more competitive with the bus and car. Wemyss Bay gets slowed down unfortunately but I'd say that loss is worth it for the flexibility of a half-hourly service.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The pattern is:

XX:05 Gourock. Fast to Paisley Gilmour St, then Bishopton, Port Glasgow, all stops to Gourock.

XX:17 Wemyss Bay. All stops.

XX:35 Gourock. As XX:05

XX:47 Wemyss Bay. All stops.

I.e. the Gourocks now run fast to Paisley Gilmour St, omitting Cardonald, Hillington East, Hillington West, Paisley St James, Langbank and Woodhall. Those stops are inserted into the Wemyss Bay line service, which is now doubled to half-hourly.

Gourock services are accelerated by about 11 mins.

kingston_toon

From the "best ever" Gourock line timetable pre-Covid, with 2tph fast and 2tph slow, plus a fast Wemyss Bay, I think this is a very reasonable compromise. It's just a shame there are no Gourock fast trains in the evening.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
From the "best ever" Gourock line timetable pre-Covid, with 2tph fast and 2tph slow, plus a fast Wemyss Bay, I think this is a very reasonable compromise. It's just a shame there are no Gourock fast trains in the evening.
I recall prior to COVID that the evening Inverclyde service was roughly 3tph.

XX:06 Gourock
XX:36 Wemyss Bay
XX:50 Gourock (Semi-Fast)

This is definitely a good upgrade because any Inverclyde services I see now seem to be very well loaded.