• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

iPhone 5 - File Conversion to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
This might be a long shot; I know I'd be better off asking on a tech forum, but here goes nonetheless....

Over the next few weeks I will be capturing a range of photographs and videos on my iPhone 5. This is part of a small project I am working on.

I would prefer to use my camera, but this is in for repair, hence it isn't an option.

My plan was to edit the videos I capture in Windows Movie Maker. Do any iPhone users out there know if this is possible, or will I need some form of file converter?

Alternatively, have Apple got any easy to use (preferably free) film editing software? (for the PC that is)

Having just started using the handset I'm not very keyed up on the iPhone yet.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This might be a long shot; I know I'd be better off asking on a tech forum, but here goes nonetheless....

Over the next few weeks I will be capturing a range of photographs and videos on my iPhone 5. This is part of a small project I am working on.

I would prefer to use my camera, but this is in for repair, hence it isn't an option.

My plan was to edit the videos I capture in Windows Movie Maker. Do any iPhone users out there know if this is possible, or will I need some form of file converter?
Depending on version, Windows Movie Player can be pretty awful software, though I don't have much experience of the more recent versions.

Surely an iPhone captures images in standard JPG format?

If not, then that's just bonkers.

Manchester77

Established Member
Plug your iPhone into your computer (presuming windows 7) using the lead and when it comes up with options to open in iTunes, open in windows file explorer and some others select the file explorer. Then you should be able to got through you pictures and videos. The first file will be a load of numbers and letters and then camera roll and if you have it photo stream. That's what I do with my ipad and iPod

If the videos aren't that long you could email them yourself and save to your computer if you don't want to plug in and you can do the same with pictures
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You can use iMovie by the way and select start project and add your own pictures, sounds videos or do it to a 'themed' trailer

D365

Veteran Member
Depending on version, Windows Movie Player can be pretty awful software, though I don't have much experience of the more recent versions.

Surely an iPhone captures images in standard JPG format?

If not, then that's just bonkers.

Yep, all standard formats. Connect to your computer from iTunes or use an online file-sharing cloud service as has been suggested.

WMM isn't that great, Apple's iMovie (or Final Cut if you're going proper pro) is better (particularly the good ol'06 version) but neither is available on Windows, at least for a long time and definitely not free. iMovie does come bundled with iLife (although not updated significantly for a while) on a Mac if you're interested in 'upgrading' :D

Sorry, I got distracted. Read the first paragraph and that's all you need! But do let us know if you need any further knowledge.

Crossover

Established Member
As others say, plug it in and it'll come up in Windows Explorer like a memory stick
Source: needing to do it on a work iPhone 5 (not mine, I have a HTC :P) only earlier today

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think many posters have missed the potential problem here.

Whilst you can transfer the files off the iPhone pretty easily, that does not mean that they will be in the right format. You start off talking about photographs, but then you talk about editing videos in Windows Movie Maker.

I don't own an iPhone or use Windows, but it was my understanding that the iPhone saves videos in Quicktime (.mov) format and that this cannot be edited by Windows Movie Maker - i.e. you would need to use a different video editing software, or first convert the video.

HST Power

Established Member
Many thanks for all the responses.

Dropbox may come in useful in the future, so I have bookmarked that.

I have also got myself a file converter to make the formats compatible; I believe maniacmartin is right in this case. So once the files are converted it shouldn't be too difficult to move on with the editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.