• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Irish Rail to Trial eTicketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

I was at an Iarnród Éireann presentation tonight about the implementation of new ticketing systems.

It seems that IÉ are going to be trialling eTickets, mobile tickets, expansion of the Leap card across all IÉ services (except Enterprise) and contactless card payments in the Greater Dublin DART and Commuter services.

One of the handouts was a PDF ticket from Cork to London, and the format is a bit strange.

They have no AZTEC or QR codes but they do have a weird blocky barcode, and the ticket is issued in parts. There's a main part of the ticket, a control ticket for the ferry part and what they call "seated booked allocation" print out which shows seat numbers etc reserved.

Unfortunately I can't upload the ticket yet (they have "not for publication/do not copy" printed on them), and the eTicket trial will be for staff PRIV/FIP tickets to start with and then to the public in September.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

One of the handouts was a PDF ticket from Cork to London, and the format is a bit strange.

They have no AZTEC or QR codes but they do have a weird blocky barcode, and the ticket is issued in parts. There's a main part of the ticket, a control ticket for the ferry part and what they call "seated booked allocation" print out which shows seat numbers etc reserved
I assume this will mean an end to the handwritten tickets currently used for Rail and Sail journeys from Ireland to the UK - and consequently will result in an end to open return tickets, the implementation of break of journey restrictions and discounted tickets being booked train only - changes which happened to UK-issued tickets over a decade ago, but Irish-issued tickets have continued to escape.

More concerningly, I suspect there will be a number of passengers connecting onto operators other than those which will see them on a regular basis - i.e. TfW, Avanti, GWR and perhaps Northern - wrongly threatened with penalty fares and/or prosecution, especially in the first few weeks and months, if the tickets switch to a PDF that cannot be verified in the UK.

At least the current format, even if completely unfamiliar to some staff, is so self-evidently genuine that issues are exceptionally rare. A PDF ticket format that can easily be edited to allow travel on any train in the country and cannot be validated by anyone would, on the other hand, be a fare evader's dream.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I assume this will mean an end to the handwritten tickets currently used for Rail and Sail journeys from Ireland to the UK - and consequently will result in an end to open return tickets, the implementation of break of journey restrictions and discounted tickets being booked train only - changes which happened to UK-issued tickets over a decade ago, but Irish-issued tickets have continued to escape.

More concerningly, I suspect there will be a number of passengers connecting onto operators other than those which will see them on a regular basis - i.e. TfW, Avanti, GWR and perhaps Northern - wrongly threatened with penalty fares and/or prosecution, especially in the first few weeks and months, if the tickets switch to a PDF that cannot be verified in the UK.

At least the current format, even if completely unfamiliar to some staff, is so self-evidently genuine that issues are exceptionally rare. A PDF ticket format that can easily be edited to allow travel on any train in the country and cannot be validated by anyone would, on the other hand, be a fare evader's dream.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for IE to be able to issue tickets with British reservations anytime soon, never mind the two ferry companies who have never engaged with any railway ticketing systems.

danm14

I wouldn't be holding my breath for IE to be able to issue tickets with British reservations anytime soon, never mind the two ferry companies who have never engaged with any railway ticketing systems.
I would have agreed with you, however @Steddenm claimed in the past to have seen some sort of Irish Rail booking system that generated an (admittedly absolutely laughable and ridiculous) itinerary from Dublin to London via Chester, Newton-le-Willows and Newcastle - so perhaps it is not quite so far away.

There was some unusual talk out of the blue late last year from the Irish and French Governments about Sail and Rail tickets between Ireland and France (presumably via Cherbourg) being introduced - perhaps this is related?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Yes, Iarnród Éireann has had e-ticket issuance capability since 2019 when they finally dispensed with the services of their ancient Almex ticket office and Crouzet portable machines, and implemented common stock rather than having 10 different colours of ticket for adult/student/child single/return/season plus free travel (with yet more additional colours for certain Dublin suburban tickets). However, it has to date stuck resolutely with CCST from ticket machines and booking offices. Barcode readers are starting to appear on gatelines now though, and print at home/mobile tickets are said to be close at hand for domestic journeys with verification for staff via an Android app.

Onboard tickets are sold on plain thermal paper with Aztec codes, mainly relevant on the Nenagh and Limerick Junction-Waterford lines. Early tickets used QR codes but our Irish counterparts at Railusers Ireland pointed out issues with counterfeiting and offline verification. The codes are apparently an EU standard format.

Will they be verifiable by GB on-train staff? That is of course the £64,000 question. I expect issues similar to those arising with BritRail/InterRail mobile passes.

XAM2175

Established Member
They have no AZTEC or QR codes but they do have a weird blocky barcode ...
PDF417, perhaps?

Wikipedia_PDF417.png

(and btw, Aztec is a normal proper noun, not an abbreviation or acronym)

Steddenm

The codes they are using on their trial tickets are:
Screenshot_20230422_002231_OneDrive.jpg

The system they are implementing is apparently linked to the same booking system used by the FirstGroup operators, and Trainline eTickets can already be sold at some (not all) ticket offices in RoI. These are printed on standard A4 paper. I think they are just agents for Trainline.

The new ticketing system can also sell tickets to any NI station instead of just Newry, Portadown, Lisburn, Lurgan and Belfast.

Whether or not this goes ahead is a different story as the PowerPoint presentation they have given out says "due to be implemented by Q3 2027" and is subject to new TOD machines being installed across the network, which will be "like those used by rail operator, Northern, in the UK" and those about to be installed across the NIR network.

I think, if all goes ahead, then the RailSail tickets will be sold via Trainline and either emailed to the customer or printed at the station. Stena today at Dublin Port had a notice in the ticket office stating that any RailSail tickets issued as a PDF must be printed and cannot be shown on a device.

The RailSail from ROI stations to French, Belgian, Spanish and Dutch stations will be sold by Irish Ferries and Stena Line and not by IÉ. This effectively removes the UK as a "landbridge" and routes from Rosslare Europort.

I have asked Transport for Ireland (TFI) on what I can put here and that is what they've said. The full PowerPoint will be available on the TFI website for public consultation in July.

WAB

Blimey, TOD on the way in over the Irish Sea whilst it's on the way out over here? They really are slow on the uptake...

Steddenm

Not secure so they're implementing the same system used by Northern ?
They don't require a credit/debit card to collect tickets, just the collection code. A lot of IÉ ticket machines are in cabinets that have an automated roller shutter that locks it out of use at times deemed unnecessary to use such as at night.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Blimey, TOD on the way in over the Irish Sea whilst it's on the way out over here? They really are slow on the uptake...
To be fair while that is true, Merseyrail have only just introduced ToD too. Avanti West Coast are even trialling a ToD collection only machine at Manchester Piccadilly.

danm14

Sorry, but none of this adds up. Colour me quite skeptical of some of the claims.

The system they are implementing is apparently linked to the same booking system used by the FirstGroup operators, and Trainline eTickets can already be sold at some (not all) ticket offices in RoI. These are printed on standard A4 paper. I think they are just agents for Trainline.
FirstGroup use Worldline's system, not Trainline. In any case, why would Irish Rail be issuing Trainline eTickets? Trainline don't sell any eTickets that can be used on the island of Ireland. They also don't sell Rail and Sail tickets as eTickets.

The new ticketing system can also sell tickets to any NI station instead of just Newry, Portadown, Lisburn, Lurgan and Belfast.
So can the existing one, as could the previous one from the 80s.

Stena today at Dublin Port had a notice in the ticket office stating that any RailSail tickets issued as a PDF must be printed and cannot be shown on a device
Rail and Sail tickets cannot be issued as PDFs, they are either traditional paper tickets if issued in the UK, or handwritten carbon paper coupons in a booklet if issued in Ireland. If you buy them over the phone or (Irish Ferries only) online you simply get a reference number to quote and there is most certainly no requirement to print anything.

island

Veteran Member
IÉ's Almex ticket office machines were always able to sell tickets to any NI station if the clerk knew (or was willing to look up) the station codes. I have several tickets from Dublin to Sydenham where some friends live. I assume that function was carried forward to the Sqills machines, although haven't had cause to try and get them.

danm14

IÉ's Almex ticket office machines were always able to sell tickets to any NI station if the clerk knew (or was willing to look up) the station codes. I have several tickets from Dublin to Sydenham where some friends live. I assume that function was carried forward to the Sqills machines, although haven't had cause to try and get them.
If it hasn't, it reduces the rights of those under the age of 66 eligible for a Free Travel Pass (as well as those over 66 who have not applied for the separate pass required for internal NI travel)

An Irish Free Travel Pass can be used to travel from any point in the Republic to any point in Northern Ireland or vice versa - subject to the entire cross-border journey being on one ticket, and the journey being by one mode (bus or train). If you rebook at e.g. Belfast, you pay for the remainder of the journey.

On that basis, I assume it has. I'm pretty certain it must have been because a lot of Free Travel Pass holders use this facility - both legitimately as part of genuine cross-border journeys and illegitimately to make journeys entirely within NI, e.g. people from North Donegal getting Free Travel tickets from Londonderry to Dundalk but getting off in Belfast.

island

Veteran Member
I don't know whether an ROI free travel pass can be used to obtain a ticket from Derry to Dundalk from NIR. Return tickets (valid for a month) can be issued by IÉ for cross-border journeys.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I don't know whether an ROI free travel pass can be used to obtain a ticket from Derry to Dundalk from NIR. Return tickets (valid for a month) can be issued by IÉ for cross-border journeys.

They are valid for it so it should be issued.

It is internal NIR/Ulsterbus/Metro travel that only NI free travel smartcards are valid for, valid ROI Pensioners having to separately apply for the NI card as well as their Irish free pass.

danm14

Republic of Ireland Free Travel Passes (all of which are valid for cross-border travel) can be used to obtain a ticket from a location in Northern Ireland to a location in the Republic or vice versa; but not between two locations in Northern Ireland.

Likewise, Northern Ireland Blind SmartPasses and War Disablement SmartPasses (all other SmartPasses are NI-only or All Ireland) can be used to obtain a ticket from a location in the Republic to a location in Northern Ireland or vice versa; but not between two locations in the Republic.

There is no requirement for a cross-border free travel journey to commence on the same side of the border as the pass was issued in.

Status
Not open for further replies.