• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a ticket to Blackpool North valid to Blackpool South

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As it says in the title.

I'd assumed (like any normal person) that a ticket to Blackpool would be Blackpool stations, but have just noticed it says North.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
ISTR the question has been asked before and there is a local arrangement of some sort allowing flexibility.
Unless it's an Advance, obviously.

SteveM70

Established Member
If there is any doubt about validity, I’d imagine using a Blackpool North ticket to Blackpool South is likely to be easier than the other way round

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'm actually getting off before Blackpool South but wasn't sure where I'd be getting back on, hence the Blackpool ticket.

If there is any doubt about validity, I’d imagine using a Blackpool North ticket to Blackpool South is likely to be easier than the other way round
It probably wouldn’t be worth attempting using a blackpool south ticket at blackpool north , regardless of validity. Knowing north’s particular type of customer experience

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Officially Blackpool North and Blackpool South tickets aren't inter-available however reports over the years suggest that staff on the ground allow either station to be used.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed. The train crew were extremely sensible and helpful (as I've come to expect).

The Government talks about 'simplification'. It's about time there was a 'Blackpool Stations' ticket.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Indeed. The train crew were extremely sensible and helpful (as I've come to expect).

The Government talks about 'simplification'. It's about time there was a 'Blackpool Stations' ticket.

Agreed there, especially if they are the same price, maybe include Blackpool Pleasure Beach and maybe Squires Gate

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Tickets from Preston (and also thereabouts) to Blackpool South (SDR £8.80, CDR £7.40) are less expensive than those to Blackpool North (SDR £9.60, CDR £8.10). From further afield the prices are the same. So long as the fares are the same, or the more expensive ticket is held, I can’t see a problem using tickets to either Blackpool station. However, trying to use a Preston to Blackpool South ticket at Blackpool North would be taking the Mickey.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Agreed there, especially if they are the same price, maybe include Blackpool Pleasure Beach and maybe Squires Gate
Given that these are on the Blackpool South line, tickets to Blackpool South will be valid anyhow.

Haywain

Veteran Member
They would be automatically covered by break of journey permissions.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'd always taken a similar approach with Burnley- Barracks/Central/Manchester Road, until recently a passenger pointed out to me that their ticket from Lostock Hall to Burnley Central was a different price to a single from there to Burnley Manchester Road. I'd always thought tickets to all 3 Burnley Stations were the same price.

STINT47

Personally I wouldn't try arriving at Blackppol North with a ticket to Blackpool South even if the price was the same. The staff at the North station in my experience belive every passenger is trying to defraud the railway, are a nuiscence and they love an opertunity to cause so problems for them.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Vespa

Established Member
You can use it at South, as far as I'm aware officially no but in reality it's a bit ambigious, no one seriously checked, my experience of Blackpool South is more positive than the North, it's more laid back in fact unstaffed most of the time !

Imagine a situation where everybody gets off at South in preference to North because of their "customer disservice" experience, that would be a heads up for the powers that be.

Didn't Geoff Marshall complain about Blackpool North, I've been trying to find the particular clip on YouTube with little success, perhaps somebody may know of such a linky ?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Didn't Geoff Marshall complain about Blackpool North, I've been trying to find the particular clip on YouTube with little success, perhaps somebody may know of such a linky ?
This is the vid that started at Blackpool North, but he didn't publish the exchange he had with the staff.

Established Member
I've used a South ticket at North absolutely fine. Did it due to the St Anne's to Colne train in the evening, which is thankfully a thing of the past on all counts.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The more expensive of the two could be turned into a station group "Blackpool North or South" I agree. Of course there's the awkward situation that if the ticket costs slightly less to Blackpool South than to Blackpool North, either the people using the South Fylde would have to pay more if their tickets were re-priced to a new group, or the fares to North would need to be reduced. And I think we know which one is more likely.

janb

I'd always taken a similar approach with Burnley- Barracks/Central/Manchester Road, until recently a passenger pointed out to me that their ticket from Lostock Hall to Burnley Central was a different price to a single from there to Burnley Manchester Road. I'd always thought tickets to all 3 Burnley Stations were the same price.

Its permitted to go either way with Burnley. Put a journey in a journey planner and it will offer option of reaching Central by catching a train to Manchester Road and walking, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.