• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is an under distance excess possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've read about over distance excesses but can you get an under distance excess, when the cost of the ticket is more expensive?

For example, if a ticket to a station closer is more expensive but offers a greater choice of routes you can take, can you excess it?

I don't wish to name the stations I'm thinking of in this example but happy to share privately if it helps anyone answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've read about over distance excesses but can you get an under distance excess, when the cost of the ticket is more expensive?

For example, if a ticket to a station closer is more expensive but offers a greater choice of routes you can take, can you excess it?

I don't wish to name the stations I'm thinking of in this example but happy to share privately if it helps anyone answer.
There is no such things as an under distance excess.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There is no such things as an under distance excess.
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, having checked the forum help on here.

I guess it wasn't really intended for tickets of a longer distance to be cheaper.

it just so happens the longer distance ticket also has greater validity overall but doesn't include one particular station I now wish to visit. The other ticket would but otherwise is less useful and costs more.

I'll just get an additional ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, having checked the forum help on here.

I guess it wasn't really intended for tickets of a longer distance to be cheaper.

it just so happens the longer distance ticket also has greater validity overall but doesn't include one particular station I now wish to visit. The other ticket would but otherwise is less useful and costs more.

I'll just get an additional ticket.
Sounds like a pretty unusual case. Without knowing the journey/stations there's not much more can be said.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sounds like a pretty unusual case. Without knowing the journey/stations there's not much more can be said.
Yeah I'm sure it's a rare edge case. I won't be mentioning it on here in case someone decides to reduce the route validity. Having a greater choice of routes is rather helpful to me at the times I happen to make this particular journey.

jfollows

Established Member
There was a lot of bad press a few years ago, wasn't there, for someone who had an advance ticket for a specific train and was told he had to pay extra to get off before his booked final station?

So that's a kind of "under distance excess" isn't it?

However from other comments on this forum I seem to think that, although technically against the rules, this kind of thing isn't generally enforced any more.

Is my memory faulty in any way, or am I being imprecise because of poor memory?

Haywain

Veteran Member
There was a lot of bad press a few years ago, wasn't there, for someone who had an advance ticket for a specific train and was told he had to pay extra to get off before his booked final station?

So that's a kind of "under distance excess" isn't it?

However from other comments on this forum I seem to think that, although technically against the rules, this kind of thing isn't generally enforced any more.

Is my memory faulty in any way, or am I being imprecise because of poor memory?
The way I read the OP’s question this wouldn’t quite cut it in this case - it’s the bit about the ‘greater choice of routes’.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The way I read the OP’s question this wouldn’t quite cut it in this case - it’s the bit about the ‘greater choice of routes’.
Correct. It's about additional validity.

One ticket offers one set of valid routes and the other a different set. There is overlap but not entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.