• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it ever ok to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernStar

Is it ever ok to 'Snake the Dots'? I failed my GBT a few years ago for going to slow, and an experienced driver told me to 'snake the dots' next time instead of going in the left-right direction your instructed to do for each row. Not sure if this is possible on the computerised version? especially if it uses arrow keys, but you can easily do this on pen and paper.

Personally it seems easier in practise to go left-right followed by right-left on the row underneath. what's your thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Part of this concentration test is to see if you can follow instructions! as well as this, if on the return going right to left and you are asked to move onto the next page, any groups of dots to the left of this point will be missed and therefore classed as incorrect and will affect your score. All you need to do is practice doing it the correct way and you will be fine.

Shrimper

Must admit I gave it some thought, as one thing I found on the computer was that I could scan ahead a bit which I felt was an advantage.

However I didn't for the assessment and did it left to right and apparently only missed one group over the entire assessment so it may be that scanning ahead was detrimental.

Gemz91

If the instructions say to go from left to right, which I am sure they do, then that's what you do. The tests are designed to test if you are suitable to be a train driver or not. If you fail the tests, then unfortunately the reality is that a career as a train driver is probably not for you.

These tests aren't just an internet personality test that you can cheat, they are designed to test if you are suitable to work in a safety critical position.

Also, is it really worth risking it, in case you failed as a result of "snaking it?"

Gekko5154

Mate the only thing you need to do is practice!

I had tried the gb (without practice) and I was very very slow. After I bought a booklet with many gb's and I practiced 20mins a day for about 1month. With practice you condition your eyes to see 3 dots in an instant (no matter how many dots are in a box). After practice I was flying through and was confident I could get more than anyone else doing the test with me. Must have worked as I've passed my assessments and just waiting for a DM interview. So practice is key and go from left to right.

Goodluck

Bromley boy

Established Member
Is it ever ok to 'Snake the Dots'? I failed my GBT a few years ago for going to slow, and an experienced driver told me to 'snake the dots' next time instead of going in the left-right direction your instructed to do for each row. Not sure if this is possible on the computerised version? especially if it uses arrow keys, but you can easily do this on pen and paper.

Personally it seems easier in practise to go left-right followed by right-left on the row underneath. what's your thoughts?

I can't see how this could benefit you on the paper version. When I took it I worked left to right as instructed and only finished five or six rows on each page, but my speed and accuracy were good enough to pass. By "snaking" you surely increase the chance of omissions in the earlier rows? I found consciously slowing myself down to a speed which felt almost too slow helped.

Definitely buy the paperback book of practice tests and complete it. This is really the only one of the aptitude tests you can prepare for in advance.

falcon

If the instructions say to go from left to right, which I am sure they do, then that's what you do. The tests are designed to test if you are suitable to be a train driver or not. If you fail the tests, then unfortunately the reality is that a career as a train driver is probably not for you.

These tests aren't just an internet personality test that you can cheat, they are designed to test if you are suitable to work in a safety critical position.

Also, is it really worth risking it, in case you failed as a result of "snaking it?"

It would not be so bad if that were true.

The GBT is just away of eliminating people from the process dressed up as a test that only a person who can pass it is capable of driving a train. It's utter rubbish in my opinion.

There should be a test to see how long you can stay a wake whilst sitting down doing nothing.That would be more a more suitable test without any doubt.

I have seen at least two photographs of train drivers reading newspapers whilst the train speeds along at 60-80mph!.One at Chesterfield front page of the Sunday Express 1999. the other Dawlish sea wall Daily Mirror 2010. Concentration I think not.

The way to pass the GBT is to remember this,that when ever you find a set of dots you have to cross off (I think it's shapes of 4) that there are sets of 3x4's so always check the next two with greater scrutiny. If you miss a block of 3x4's it's a fail. You are allowed to miss single 4's but not a block of 3x4's. Make a drivers salary 20k and see how things change.:lol:

TheEdge

Established Member

The GBT is just away of eliminating people from the process dressed up as a test that only a person who can pass it is capable of driving a train. It's utter rubbish in my opinion.

Meanwhile, on Earth. So you genuinely believe the TOCs expend a great deal of effort and money and theatrics to do what could just as easily be done with a computer sift?

The way to pass the GBT is to remember this,that when ever you find a set of dots you have to cross off (I think it's shapes of 4) that there are sets of 3x4's so always check the next two with greater scrutiny. If you miss a block of 3x4's it's a fail. You are allowed to miss single 4's but not a block of 3x4's. Make a drivers salary 20k and see how things change.:lol:

You can try and learn patterns or not be the tinfoil hat wearing type and understand these test are to screen people who have the right mental make up to do certain tasks. Teach yourself to pass the test, bravo, test passed, enjoy struggling on the course and probably failing that because you managed to fool the test that was designed to filter this out.

Andy-mc

There's no real point of doing it any other way to instructed, all it is doing it measuring your speed and accuracy and if you don't meet the grade then just take it on the chin and use your experience to prepare you for your next go.

There should be a test to see how long you can stay a wake whilst sitting down doing nothing.That would be more a more suitable test without any doubt.

I have seen at least two photographs of train drivers reading newspapers whilst the train speeds along at 60-80mph!.One at Chesterfield front page of the Sunday Express 1999. the other Dawlish sea wall Daily Mirror 2010. Concentration I think not.

So who do you drive for?

Bromley boy

Established Member

What an ignorant rant, from someone who has clearly neither passed selection nor done the job.

Whether you think the test is "rubbish" is irrelevant. It still needs to be passed by anyone wanting to get onto a driver training course.

Your 3x4 comment is nonsense as anyone who has taken the test would know. The spacing is more random than that.

Last edited:

The voice of reason, my brother who joined in the early 70's and is coming up for retirement has driven trains for 30+ years on different lines, regions, rolling stock, etc ,etc.

Number of Spads/Crashes = 0

Number of Group Bourdon Tools dots crossed out = 0

TheEdge

Established Member
Well okay then, you apply for the driver jobs and tell them you don't need to do the GBT because it didn't happen in the 1970s. Let us know how that works out...

Sirgerbil

It's actually quite worrying that someone that would even consider trying to "cheat" the test. In my eyes if you can't follow a basic instruction of go from left to right then are you sure it's a career you want to be in?

E&W Lucas

Established Member

:

Spot someone who it has eliminated!

Andy-mc

maybe they should stop holding interviews for jobs as they are just a way of eliminating people :lol:

A lot of ex BR men openly admit they probably couldn't pass the psychometric tests and they have been driving no problem for years

But in a world where companies can be picky due to high levels of interest, you might as well look for the best of the best and the best way to find the best is by holding assessments to judge people on certain skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.