• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it time to get rid of Bank Holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

al78

Established Member
Why?

I find it doesn't make much difference. The week following a bh is always harder going as clients expect the same output as in a 5 day week - i.e. request on Mon needs doing by Fri normally, so bh results in 1 day less.
Why is that different to the week before if the bank holiday was on a Friday, you'd have to meet a client's requirements during a Mon-Thu week instead of a Mon-Fri week. It makes no difference whether the extra day is Monday or Friday.

gswindale

Why is that different to the week before if the bank holiday was on a Friday, you'd have to meet a client's requirements during a Mon-Thu week instead of a Mon-Fri week. It makes no difference whether the extra day is Monday or Friday.
It wouldn't be any different.

The point I was making was in response to
One advantage of Bank Holiday Mondays, as opposed to Fridays, is that they are followed by a short working week. Better arguably to have the short week after the holiday, rather than before, as it might help you enjoy the holiday itself knowing that the coming week is relatively "light".

I personally find 4 day weeks tougher going than 5 day weeks - the only "light" week is one when I'm not working at all :)

david1212

Established Member
The bank holidays are something I have always just accepted but often are a wasted day. If good weather the roads are clogged, trains not disrupted for engineering are rammed and attractions are heaving while if wet the options to do something useful are limited.
Also part of my work fixed holidays have always included Christmas Eve and the days between Christmas and New Year that are not Bank Holidays.

With the shift from a predominantly Christian to a mix of a multi-faith/religion and Atheist society both Christmas and Easter have less significance. The former has become predominantly commercial. One change over recent years is more retail staying closed on Boxing Day. The Scottish in particular need New Years Day to recover from New Years Eve / Hogmanay .....

Given the choice maybe just have Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day then the remainder as floating holiday.

A great alternative for May Day Holiday would be the Friday before the clocks go back. Then we could go away the Friday ready for a bus or rail trip of interest the Saturday just as the clocks go back.

As it is, I did go away that time last year (Leicester) and will repeat that this year (London).

Turns out there was a debate in 2011 about ditching May Day (the early Bank holiday) and shifting it, rather sensibly, to October.

While now very much a minority group of those full time employed for much of industry Friday is either a half day or a bit more depending on the basic daily and weekly hours e.g. if 37.5 hours a week and four days of 8 hours Friday is 5.5 hours.

Hence move the May Day Holiday to the Monday before the clocks go back and mandate school half term is that week. To me silly when clocks go back at the start of the half term week.

ChrisC

Established Member
The bank holidays are something I have always just accepted but often are a wasted day. If good weather the roads are clogged, trains not disrupted for engineering are rammed and attractions are heaving while if wet the options to do something useful are limited.
During these last few years, since I have been retired, bank holidays are days when I stay at home. When I have all the other days of the year to go out driving, using public transport, visiting attractions or even walking, busy bank holidays are days I avoid. I live in a village which is very popular for people to park up in and go walking and I even avoid gardening on the front of house when there are so many people walking past. However, having said all that, I do know how much bank holidays are looked forward to by many working people and therefore wouldn’t want to see them got rid of.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I think it's fair to say that opinions on bank holidays vary according to what your job is, what hours you work, and how many days you get off otherwise!
It's a pity that some are in the "I don't have it so neither should you" camp.

Cdd89

Established Member
One common practice for those who work standard job but reduce working hours (eg to a 4-day week) is for the entitlement to bank holidays to be removed, and replaced with a prorated addition to annual leave.

The snag is that the employer often wishes for the employee to take bank holidays off anyway - which obviously isn’t great for the employee.

Howardh

Established Member

Turns out there was a debate in 2011 about ditching May Day (the early Bank holiday) and shifting it, rather sensibly, to October.
I agree with that, although might be better weather-wise in late September, but late Oct would be on the school holiday week I suppose; which would boost the tourist industry no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.