• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Pineapple Road a silly name for a station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaxa

Unbelievably ridiculous name. There are a lot of stations out there with really stupid names, but this one really takes the michael.
Yes indeed, what a stupid name for a fruit. And it's not even a native species. I'll be on to DeFRA in the the morning to have it renamed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Surely it's time for a Fruit & Veg based station name thread :

Cherry Tree
Strawberry Hill (both from above)
Liverpool Lime Street
Limehouse
Appleby
Peartree
err.. Broccoli Whins
Marrow & Wealdstone.

Perhaps not. I'll get me coat.
Berry Brow, or is that not specific enough? ;)
Yes indeed, what a stupid name for a fruit. And it's not even a native species. I'll be on to DeFRA in the the morning to have it renamed.
Most other European languages call it some variation of "ananas". If the station were called Ananas Road, no doubt people would constantly be adding a 'B' to the beginning with a sharpie marker...

snowball

Established Member
A few years ago, while returning by car from a visit to see the works for the Norton Bridge improvement, I noticed that there's a village named Cranberry. It's next to the WCML but doesn't have a station.

Surely it's time for a Fruit & Veg based station name thread :

Cherry Tree
Strawberry Hill (both from above)
Liverpool Lime Street
Limehouse
Appleby
Peartree
err.. Broccoli Whins
Marrow & Wealdstone.

Perhaps not. I'll get me coat.
Victoria Plum-stead, preferably with Stone removed of course?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
They should sell a PPAP rover ticket allowing you to do Pen-Y-Bont - Pineapple Road - Appleby - Pen-Y-Bont.

DC3

The 11A/C has Pineapple Bridge as a short working on the blinds, it terminates on the bridge with the junction of Vicarage Rd, Fordhouse Ln, Pineapple Road 971BBC06-F2CB-4986-8F57-9A10FA3247BF.jpeg

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It is a great name: Different, not dull, unlikely to be confused for anywhere else on the network by having a similar name, obvious to the locals where it is, chance for some commercial sponsorship and some free advertising in the national media.

Seems like a win to me
Was the man from Del Monte consulted?
Hopefully he said yes!

miami

Established Member
At least Pineapple Road is unique - there's places like Proper Whitchurch and the other two, Charing Cross and the one in London, and worst of all "Liverpool Street", named after a 100 metre long alley that doesn't go anywhere in the direction of Liverpool, just named after some politician, and served by trains that go nowhere near Liverpool.

If we can get Brent Cross West renamed to "Staples Corner", maybe we can get Mayor Khan to eat staples.

Staples Corner sounds like where you'd go when you need office supplies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Staples Corner sounds like where you'd go when you need office supplies.
Before the chain of stores went bust, there was a branch of office equipment supplier Staples at Staples Corner, which always pleased me :D

Runningaround

Whqat is important about a name is that it does not mislead people and cause them to end up in the wrong place, this will not so is a good name.
Yes many will be heading there not to find fruit and veg stall anywhere close.
Jason Lee of Fantasy Football fame has declined to open it though.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
As Pineapple Road was the winner what were the other choices?
I don’t have a problem with the name as such because it’s geographical but it’s a bit twee!
Giving the public the vote on station names sounds like choosing the name of a Z list celebrities child.

Ianigsy

Berry Brow, or is that not specific enough? ;)

Most other European languages call it some variation of "ananas". If the station were called Ananas Road, no doubt people would constantly be adding a 'B' to the beginning with a sharpie marker...
Or crossing out the second and third ”a” and turning the “n” upside down….

It’d be a silly name for Ribblehead, but if it resonates with the locals and stands out then it’s already doing part of its job, which is to create word of mouth for the new service.

Typhoon

Established Member
I haven't lived in Birmingham for over ten years but I guess it is near where the A40-40 crosses the rail line.

Stirchley - completely misleading, when most people think of Stirchley, they think of the Pershore Road - if that is where you want to go, Bournville is your station.

The other two are much of a muchness. Pineapple Road is a long road, but is pretty well known in the area. Hazelwell has the advantage of a prominent building, clearly named, (Hazelwell church) nearby (as well as a pub, The Hazelwell). Although some of the roads nearby have Hazelwell in their name (Hazelwell Fordrough springs to mind), so do other streets some distance away.

If people want to call it Pineapple Street Road (whoops) - fine. They will probably sell tickets to people who just want a memento ('I've been to Pineapple Road'). There will be a YouTube video with Geoff Marshall, who will come up with all the stations with fruit in their name.

It could be worse, if i was further along, close to Kings Heath Park, it could be called Pineapple Grove. Or, if half way along, Cartland Road, signage in pink, with quotes from the great ladies books. Now that would be a reason to get irate!

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
Pineapple is a name for some pubs and bars and venues and some actually have the pineapple symbol incorporated in the signage/logo.
This actually means 'welcoming' as many years ago sailors returning after months or years away on voyage would bring back a Pineapple from the West Indies and place it outside their home, this would mean they would they are back and would welcome visitors.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
So we could have ticket's like :

Pineapple Road - Bat & Ball
Pineapple Road - Bowling

Surely, Bat and Ball - Bowling would be a better ticket ;)

btw I'm also in the 'love the name, Pineapple Road' camp. It has a nice-sounding, exotic, optimistic, feel to it while also being geographically accurate and non-confusing.

Yew

Established Member
So "Pineapple Road" has won the public vote to be the name of one of the new stations on the Camp Hill line in Birmingham.

Supporters of this decision say the name is "..memorable and better explained where the station is located..."

This is all very well if you happen to know that Pineapple Road is in the Stirchley area, but not otherwise.

Or to be more accurate, the Southern end of Pineapple Road is in Stirchley, with the Northern end being in Kings Heath rather than Stirchley.

Personally I think this is a mistake, as the name of a station should reflect the area in which it is situated, with name most used for that area being used as the name of the station.

I wonder how many stations could be renamed to "Station Road Station", if this road-based naming was retroactively applied to extant stations across the network.

Runningaround

Pineapple is a name for some pubs and bars and venues and some actually have the pineapple symbol incorporated in the signage/logo.
This actually means 'welcoming' as many years ago sailors returning after months or years away on voyage would bring back a Pineapple from the West Indies and place it outside their home, this would mean they would they are back and would welcome visitors.
Can't see many ships docking in the middle of Birmingham.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I wonder how many stations could be renamed to "Station Road Station", if this road-based naming was retroactively applied to extant stations across the network.
"Battersea Power Station" Station Road Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.