• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Project Oval effectively a South East England version of Netherlands's OV-Chipkaart/OV-Pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
So as we know, Project Oval aims to allow contactless travel throughout South East England.

Does this mean that Project Oval will be the SE England equivalent of NL's OV-Chipkaart/OV-Pay?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose that depends on whether provincial buses are integrated into it*. I suspect they won't be.

What it is is a half job, i.e. a rail only extension of TfL's system.

* That you can also pay your bus fare using the same card but a totally different system doesn't count, any more than McDonald's is part of it because I can pay contactless for a Big Mac.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Open loop you use a credit/debit card, closed loop you use a card supplied by the scheme.

Ah so Project Oval would be more of a OvPay kind of thing. That makes sense tbh, seeing that from your explanation, OV-Chipkaart would be more of an Oyster equivalent

Thx for the explanation btw, much appreciated

fandroid

Established Member
Ah so Project Oval would be more of a OvPay kind of thing. That makes sense tbh, seeing that from your explanation, OV-Chipkaart would be more of an Oyster equivalent

Thx for the explanation btw, much appreciated
When I was in Leiden in March, it became apparent that contactless using bank cards was being rolled out there. At that stage it was trains only, but buses were planned to be included soon. If that's OVPay then yes it looked very similar to Project Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.