• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is SPT Daytripper valid on the Caledonian Sleeper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"Daytripper offers unlimited travel for one day by rail, Subway, most buses throughout Strathclyde, and some ferries."

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't?

cumfy

Glad to see a concensus:roll:

Ardlui,Tarbet,Garelochead,Dalmuir all within Daytripper area.

cumfy

Should have specified it is the Fort William-Euston (ie evening service) I am interested in.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Glad to see a concensus:roll:

Ardlui,Tarbet,Garelochead,Dalmuir all within Daytripper area.
Please accept our apologies for the incorrect information. I have removed the incorrect posts, to avoid confusion.

To clariy:

Mondays-Fridays:
The morning sleeper heading North would not be at a valid time, but then I am sure you already know that!
No problems using the Southbound in the evening.

Saturdays:
No problems at all with the morning sleeper, within the Daytripper area as you say.
Southbound does not run.

Sundays:
Northbound does not run.
No problems using the Southbound in the evening.

No stations are "pick up" or "set down" only, so no issues there.

Seat reservations are "Recommended" but not compulsory (source: National Rail Timetable), but unless travelling at the height of Summer and/or on a popular day (e.g. the Friday before a bank holiday weekend) then you will likely have no problems obtaining a seat. Of course, these are short journeys anyway.

First class

Established Member
Reservations are required.

Overnight Sleeper and limited seated service from London
Euston. Reservations compulsory. Passengers on seated
service change coaches at Edinburgh

Overnight Sleeper and limited seated service to London
Euston. Reservations compulsory. Passengers on seated
service change coaches at Edinburgh

From the Scotrail timetables.

As it is Scotrail staff who will inspect the ticket, I know which timetable I would prefer to look at. Yorkie is always of the opinion that information in the public domain applies, this is the timetable the majority of people will look at, unless you know the NRT exists, you don't know.

Scotrail has made it clear in their notices and publications a reservation is required.

clagmonster

Established Member
Seat reservations are "Recommended" but not compulsory (source: National Rail Timetable), but unless travelling at the height of Summer and/or on a popular day (e.g. the Friday before a bank holiday weekend) then you will likely have no problems obtaining a seat. Of course, these are short journeys anyway.
Table 227 shows seat reservations as compulsory (the black R in the white box with black outline), see: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May11/timetables/Table227.pdf
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/eNRT/May11/References and Symbols.pdf
Which part shows it as reservations reccomended?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mondays-Fridays:
The morning sleeper heading North would not be at a valid time
Apart from on a Glasgow Public holiday of course.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK, sorry it does say Compulsory, I got the symbols mixed up (my defence is that it doesn't seem logical to have a bold R in a black box being less restrictive than the R in a white box to me!) :oops:

However having caught that service myself I know that in reality, they are not going to prevent you boarding without a reservation so it isn't really "compulsory" and I am sure the OP will have no problems boarding the train for a local journey in the Daytripper area. I've never had a problem with this train at all. In fact, on a particularly busy train, some American tourists who had not reserved tried to make us stand (we had reserved), and there were people sat in the guards area. The guard certainly wasn't turning anyone away and that was the busiest train I've ever known on that line. From September onwards it's going to be less well loaded than that.

If you don't want to take my word for it, here's paul1609's view.

Furrball

As I understand it the seated portion of the Fort Bill sleeper operates as a regular service train and therefore there should be no issues.

First class

Established Member
As I understand it the seated portion of the Fort Bill sleeper operates as a regular service train and therefore there should be no issues.

This is incorrect. It is still a service train, but with mandatory reservations.

rail-britain

Established Member
Northbound it is not normally an issue, if the seats are quiet
I have seen many people boarding without reservations, but equally sometimes refused as already full

However southbound is a different story and you will be asked for your reservation

Therefore, obtain a reservation
Also, you can travel north to/from Westerton and this would be my recommendation

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's funny, as I've done that train with around a dozen forum members and that has not been our experience. Are you also stating paul1609's account is incorrect?
I've done Fort William-Roy Bridge and back on the sleeper on the Highland Rover without a reservation.
Anyone who suggests they'll chuck you out at Spean Bridge needs a serious reality check.

First class

Established Member
It would be bad advice to advise anyone on here to turn up and expect to be able to board a service marked "Mandatory Reservations Only". Especially with this particular service, where you could be in the middle of nowhere, (although the SPT area is noted).

What's to stop them letting you board at Spean Bridge if the berths are full and no seating left, e.g. around Christmas time....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, I've caught it on a bank holiday Monday evening in Summer, it was absolutely heaving with people stood/sat anywhere they could but no-one was turned away. The claim is that people will be turned away but I see no evidence of that. Of course if the OP was going from Spean Bridge then I'd strongly advise a reservation but the OP is travelling within the Daytripper area, and I am sure he can stand if necessary as it's a short journey. But there is usually plenty of seating capacity on the Fort William sleeper apart from during Summer.

clagmonster

Established Member
OK, sorry it does say Compulsory, I got the symbols mixed up (my defence is that it doesn't seem logical to have a bold R in a black box being less restrictive than the R in a white box to me!) :oops:

However having caught that service myself I know that in reality, they are not going to prevent you boarding without a reservation so it isn't really "compulsory" and I am sure the OP will have no problems boarding the train for a local journey in the Daytripper area. I've never had a problem with this train at all. In fact, on a particularly busy train, some American tourists who had not reserved tried to make us stand (we had reserved), and there were people sat in the guards area. The guard certainly wasn't turning anyone away and that was the busiest train I've ever known on that line. From September onwards it's going to be less well loaded than that.

If you don't want to take my word for it, here's paul1609's view.
No worries, I prepared to believe the experience of those who have used the service, its a good few years since I last used the Fort Bill sleeper (it was booked a 37/4 then, just to give an idea). I was just calrifying your post, and providing the 'official' answer.

cumfy

Just to complicate things a little further...

I would in fact be doing a day return Edinburgh-Ardlui.[I don't think there is a ticket for this?]
Can I split this as:

Day return Edinburgh-Croy [Croy is within the area]
SPT Daytripper

When presumably the sleeper is going through Croy but is not a stop.

Note the Daytripper specifically says:
ticket is valid within the *area* shown above

so the Daytripper appears to be valid right up to the point the sleeper physically exits the area.

First class

Established Member
Just to complicate things a little further...

I would in fact be doing a day return Edinburgh-Ardlui.[I don't think there is a ticket for this?]
Can I split this as:

Day return Edinburgh-Croy [Croy is within the area]
SPT Daytripper

When presumably the sleeper is going through Croy but is not a stop.

Note the Daytripper specifically says:

so the Daytripper appears to be valid right up to the point the sleeper physically exits the area.

Not valid.

Split tickets are covered under NRCoC:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

1) They are not both zonal tickets
2) The train does not call at the split/boundary point
3) It is not a season.

clagmonster

Established Member
That would not be a valid combination on the sleeper. For a combination of tickets to be valid, they must "cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not."
The Edinburgh-Croy ticket is not a zonal ticket, so clause a) is ruled out, as you rightly say the train does not call at Croy so clause b) is ruled out and neither ticket is a season ticket so clause c) is ruled out.

There are tickets available for Edinburgh-Ardlui, is travelling on a weekend, or after 09:15 on a weekday, you should buy a saver return for £42.80, if travelling on a weekday before 09:15 you should buy an open return for £49.10. There are also advance singles available which start at £16.10 in each direction.

Alternatively, if you are returning the same day, you may buy:
Edinburgh-Westerton cheap day return (not valid to leave Edinburgh/Glasgow before 09:15 or between 16:42-18:09 or at 18:15 Mondays-Fridays).
Westerton-Ardlui day return £16.80
Total £30.50

Edinburgh-Westerton day return £21.70
Westerton-Ardlui day return £16.80
Total £38.60

You may substistute the Westerton-Ardlui ticket with an SPT daytripper if you comply with the Daytripper's time restrictions.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
On the note of reservations, I guess it depends on the guard? Some are ok but when I did an ALR and was unaware that the rules changed, I got a right old bashing and was nearly tempted to chuck me off at Watford (only joined at Euston!) as my ALR was not valid on that service, because I had no reservation (contrary to the platform staff who said I could join and sit in any non res seat, which there was many of!)

I got my way out of it as I was genuienly unaware that there was a new rule and the staff on the station said different, so he let me on my way!

First class

Established Member
Isn't the Daytripper a "leisure pass" ?

Nope.

For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:

(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days

tony_mac

Established Member
it does have a definition in the CoC....
“leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days

Never mind, it's been clarified now!

cumfy

What would be wrong with getting an Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street Day return (£11.80?) ?

Could I not claim it was valid via Westerton or at worst pay for a GLQ-WES single ?

John @ home

Established Member
What would be wrong with getting an Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street Day return (£11.80?)
You can certainly use an £11.80 £11.40 Off-Peak Day Return Edinburgh - Glasgow Cen/QSt to travel to and from the Daytripper area provided you observe the time restrictions for that ticket, shown in the text of Validity code H1.

Could I not claim it was valid via Westerton or at worst pay for a GLQ-WES single ?
A single between Westerton and Glasgow would not help because you are allowed to combine single tickets only where the train calls and the 2354 Westerton - Edinburgh 0050 sleeper has no intermediate stops.

The question is whether you can use the return portion of an Off-Peak Day Return Edinburgh - Glasgow Cen/QSt on the 2354 Westerton - Edinburgh 0050 sleeper, when a note on the National Routeing Guide's map ZZ states that the train does not go through Glasgow Queen Street. The note says:
Map ZZ - Sleeper services
The Fort William sleeper runs from Edinburgh through Springbank and Ashfield to Fort William. It does not go into Glasgow Queen Street. Springbank and Ashfield are members of the Glasgow Group Routeing Point.
Doubling back because of the train running pattern is permitted. Published easements describe these extended permissions.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/Maps.pdf
The only relevant Easement I can find is:
Easements
20011 Passengers using the sleeper southbound from Glasgow may start their journey with a cross Glasgow service

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/easements.pdf
Whether this is intended to mean that passengers using the sleeper southbound from Glasgow may start their journey with a Glasgow - Westerton service is a matter of speculation. A possible complication is that, rather than travelling south, a journey from Westerton station (55.905 degrees N) to Edinburgh Waverley (55.952 degrees N) goes slightly north. But it appears to be southbound according to the railway.

It is possible to interpret these rules to mean that the return portion of an Off-Peak Day Return Edinburgh - Glasgow Cen/QSt is valid on the 2354 Westerton - Edinburgh 0050 sleeper. But I would seek confirmation from ScotRail before attempting to make that journey.

cumfy

Thanks John,

I had just come across 20011, and think it does make the return ticket valid (and cheaper!).

It does seem rather well hidden though!
I presume the "permitted doubling back" effectively refers to the piece of track between Westerton and the fork for GLQ and Edinburgh.

I did the FW sleeper afew weeks ago and done it several times in the past within scotland. Have I ever had a reservation?. Twice in 1999, but only once since when I joined off the Aberdeen when travelling from the south.

The last time I did it, I boarded at Westerton without a res, and had no problems, and there were plenty of seats available, in all only about 6-10 seats were reserved and its always been the case whenever ive joined at Edinburgh and Glasgow. Sometimes its been totally unreserved.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I presume the "permitted doubling back" effectively refers to the piece of track between Westerton and the fork for GLQ and Edinburgh.
Doubling back is defined as passing through the same station twice, it isn't to do with track.

For example, Liverpool Lime St Low level to Liverpool South Parkway, to Liverpool Lime St high level is doubling back, while in contrast to this York to Doncaster to Selby is not doubling back, though you do go back on the same stretch of track for about 10 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.