• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the D-Ticket best option for CGN/Cologne/KVB/Wuppertal/Schwebebahn?

alby

I'm going to be in Cologne for four or five days and I'd like to visit Wuppertal and ride the Schwebebahn. Is the D-Ticket the best option for covering transport to and from the airport, to and from Wuppertal, and on the Schwebebahn, and the KVB transport within Cologne?

If it's a little more expensive but I only have to buy the one ticket which will cover everything I'd probably prefer that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I'm going to be in Cologne for four or five days and I'd like to visit Wuppertal and ride the Schwebebahn. Is the D-Ticket the best option for covering transport to and from the airport, to and from Wuppertal, and on the Schwebebahn, and the KVB transport within Cologne?

If it's a little more expensive but I only have to buy the one ticket which will cover everything I'd probably prefer that.
It's nearly twice the price of an all-day ticket for Cologne-Wuppertal but only 50% more than an NRW offpeak (9.00 onward) day ticket!

I would guess it is worth it, but it may depend on how much use you will make of it. (You need to cancel it quickly, though - there are a couple of threads here - and you probably know none of these regional fares are valid on IC trains.)

AlbertBeale

Established Member

The previous 9EU (I think it was) monthly tickets for non-IC journeys certainly covered the Schwebebahn - so I can't imagine the new, more expensive, monthly ones won't. The Schwebebahn seems to be treated as just another mode of local transport in W'tal, like trolleybuses etc - which it is after all...

My guess is that the monthly ticket [remember it's a calendar month, not 30 days from when you buy it] must be a good deal for a couple of journeys between (even nearby) cities (and Cologne/W'tal aren't right next door!), together with all of a day's travel in a major city for several days. But someone on the ground there will know price comparisons more precisely...

alby

It's nearly twice the price of an all-day ticket for Cologne-Wuppertal but only 50% more than an NRW offpeak (9.00 onward) day ticket!

I would guess it is worth it, but it may depend on how much use you will make of it. (You need to cancel it quickly, though - there are a couple of threads here - and you probably know none of these regional fares are valid on IC trains.)
If I'm there for five days, only one of which is going to Wuppertal, then it seems like a good deal? I've heard nightmares about cancelling quickly enough but I have a disposable card I can use.

Not planning on any ICs, but D-Ticket is valid on RE and RB, right?

rvdborgt

When will your 5 days be? If you use the HVV Switch app, then you can pay a pro rata price for the first month and if you order and cancel before the 10th of the month, then the subscription stops at the end of that first month.

nwales58

Buy and cancel before the 10th is the general rule for many monthly season tickets in Germany. mopla seems to be the only easy cancel after the 10th for Deutschlandticket. As others have said, HVV gives pro-rata first month so it depends on your dates.

If you're adventurous you could try eezy, NRW's PAYG, see eezy.nrw, same principles as OVpay in the Netherlands if you've used that before. I've never had the courage to try eezy.

Final bit of fun, if you happen to be there 08/02 - 13/02, and it is probably better to avoid Köln altogether that week if you have any choice, there is a special Karneval ticket: Eur 30 for the whole VRS area including bordering zones including the Solingen VRR zone.

U-Bahnfreund

Eezy through the fairtiq app is fairly easy and it also charges 49€ max per month. It's only valid if you're always inside NRW, but considering what you're planning to do, you will be. Fairtiq works with swiping in the app before the journey and at the end and it works out the price. It needs continuous location and mobile data or wifi connection though (bar the odd dead reception spot)

The exile

Established Member
If the location of your accommodation means that you’ll be using public transport in Koeln on the other days, the total cost is likely to get close enough to the D-ticket to make it the most convenient option!

duesselmartin

Established Member
Note there is a strike of local transport operators on Friday with more dates likely to come. This will also affect the Schwebebahn.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've noticed today (on the DB web site) that the D-ticket is not valid on RE trains. Is this a new rule?
I thought the only exceptions were long-distance trains (ICE, IC, EC).
If RE trains are excluded it makes searching on the DB site harder as ticking "Local trains only" is insufficient.

Nunners

I've noticed today (on the DB web site) that the D-ticket is not valid on RE trains. Is this a new rule?
I thought the only exceptions were long-distance trains (ICE, IC, EC).
If RE trains are excluded it makes searching on the DB site harder as ticking "Local trains only" is insufficient.
From their website, it looks like RE trains of DB Fernvekehr are excluded. This includes IC or ICE trains which also carry an RE number, but I think all "normal" RE trains are still included - if it's a red train you're okay, if it's a white train then you're not.

The Germany Ticket can be used throughout Germany on all local trains such as RB, RE, S-Bahn trains (SPNV) and also on public transport such as buses, trams, subways etc. (ÖPNV) of the participating state tariffs, transport associations and Transport companies can be used for any number of journeys in accordance with their scope and conditions. This applies regardless of which transport company, transport association or state tariff is noted on the ticket itself. A Germany ticket that was purchased in Munich, for example, can also be used for trips in Frankfurt and the surrounding area.

Please note, however, that the Deutschland Ticket is generally not valid on trains operated by DB Fernverkehr AG or other long-distance transport providers such as FlixTrain (e.g. IC, EC, ICE, but also RE of DB Fernverkehr AG). DB Long-Distance Transport is currently in discussions with countries and authorities about exceptions on certain sections of the route. The Deutschland Ticket can be used before and after a long-distance train. However, a separate ticket is always required for the long-distance route. This has an impact on possible passenger rights. If you miss the connecting long-distance train, the train connection is not canceled and no claims for reimbursement can be made.

nwales58

RE trains of DB Fernvekehr are excluded.
and those show up in the notes in the journey planner and on platform indicators I think. Not new, was the case from the start.

Counter-counter exception: some DB Fern RE (in IC) are now permitted, Chemnitz-Dresden, Bremen-Oldenburg-Emden, I don't know of others. Also shown in the notes.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info, no worries then.
I was just looking at a D-ticket trip which included Heidelberg-Ulm via Heilbronn, Stuttgart and Wendlingen.
The final leg is coded IRE and is on the new high speed line, but is surprisingly operated by DB Regio Baden-Württemberg so is OK with the D-ticket.

Veteran Member
and those show up in the notes in the journey planner and on platform indicators I think. Not new, was the case from the start.

Counter-counter exception: some DB Fern RE (in IC) are now permitted, Chemnitz-Dresden, Bremen-Oldenburg-Emden, I don't know of others. Also shown in the notes.
These show up as RE in the timetable with a separate train number.
The only oddities I can think of are the Berlin-Hamburg RE (when they run!) but I thought they were Regio anyway?

alby

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I've decided to go with the D-Ticket, as it seems it'll cover my whole trip.

It's going to be very weird cancelling the subscription before I even get to Germany!

nwales58

These show up as RE in the timetable with a separate train number
That was the problem - RE number but Deutschlandticket not valid.

Well away from the OP's question but for completeness ...

Edited: now looked at DB's definitive list for DB Fernverkehr validity.

Some, e.g. Rostock-Stralsund, are ICE with no RE number, Deutschlandticket valid but Querdurchsland is not.

Relevant for the OP, at Vohwinkel the Schwebebahn comes together with another only-3-in-germany oddity: the Solingen trolleybuses, here wireless on auxiliary engine (though normal buses substituted last time I was there). You can get back to Solingen Hbf on trolleybus all the way with a change in the centre.

Last edited: