• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the section of gwml beteen Paddington and reading the worst maintained line in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Very civilised no doubt, but how fast was it going? Pootling along at 80mph in a vehicle made primarily of springs is one thing.

Traversing the same stretch at 125 in the wrong coach of the wrong IET on the wrong day (they seem remarkably variable) feels like a case for pulling the handle and calling your family to say goodbye in whatever time you have left.

The only times I've ever seriously considered pulling the handle during decades of rail travel have been along there in the last few years - more than once. Admittedly most of that seems to be the diabolical ride of the trains themselves. Having survived a number of such journeys unharmed I pay less attention now to violent lurching and shaking and banging noises. Something isn't right though.

Presumably the pic of the one at Iver with the bogie of a ?wagon sat above it is after the engineers have been working in way that's made it worse and then loaded it to do some testing or something? If not and that's the state it was in with trains running over it at speed, surely a major disaster has been avoided by nothing more than luck?

Either way, it does nothing to alleviate my earlier layperson's concern that the rate of inconsequential failures (so far) along there reflects a real increase in risk.

I believe the wheel set of the train in the photograph is actually a Class 387 EMU in passenger service that was cautioned by the signaller following a previous ’rough ride‘ report and asked to examine the line, and ended up stopping astride the rail break. Presumably it was allowed to move forward at extreme caution once there were people on the ground to watch it.

I’m not a track engineer but the broken sleeper beneath the rail break is rather disconcerting, I see I’m not the only person to think back to Hither Green in 1967. Although the mechanism for that accident was completely different.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
This is on the BBC Berkshire news pages.
This was the most concerning bit of that article (my bold):
The railway worker, who the BBC is not identifying, said passenger trains would have been travelling over the cracks at about 125mph.
"This is how trains come off the rails, putting lives at risk," they said, adding: "The one at Bourton wasn't noticed until a member of the public who lives nearby noticed a change in the sound of the train."

class ep-09

Presumably the pic of the one at Iver with the bogie of a ?wagon sat above it is after the engineers have been working in way that's made it worse and then loaded it to do some testing or something? If not and that's the state it was in with trains running over it at speed, surely a major disaster has been avoided by nothing more than luck?

Either way, it does nothing to alleviate my earlier layperson's concern that the rate of inconsequential failures (so far) along there reflects a real increase in risk.
That bogie is Class 387 . Whether was in service or ECS hard to tell but definitely not engineers train .

mrmartin

Seems to be another cracked rail between Gloucester and Bristol parkway today.

mikeb42

This BBC South Today on GWML Broken Rails from about 6:44 doesn't add a great deal - other than that the incidents together are considered serious enough that the ?ORR/?RAIB will be commencing an "investigation" imminently into poor maintenance by NR on this stretch of line specifically. What that actually means is unclear.

Is the implication of the picture at Iver showing a passenger train that had been proceeding slowly to investigate concerns reported by the driver of the previous train, that said preceding train was travelling at speed? In which case, this was perilously close to a major incident, surely?

londonmidland

Established Member
Another line which seems to be frequently affected by track defects is the section between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa.

I’ve travelled over it various times and on a number of occasions have felts lurches and/or the train sways quite violently.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The modern railway operates in a very different environment than the Victorian one, or even the 1960s one. Train weights, speeds and frequencies are higher, other equipment adds weight and the basic infrastructure is just plain older. Maintenance of gulleys, drains, etc., may (only may) have fallen, leading to less ability to deal with extremes of weather. Last year the intense dry heat of the summer will have caused the ground to dry out abnormally, while this year it has been the opposite - a cool, wetter summer followed by a very wet autumn. Ground stability problems could only increase. Then there is the railway operating system - it is massively more complex now and, and a result, much more delicate and subject to failures. This includes signalling, power supplies and rolling stock. In summary, the railway today is a hugely more fragile beast than in times past. It will therefore fall over much more often (and can be brought back to life much less easily in many cases owing to changes in working regimes).
Yes but the modern railway also has access to welter of inspection data from the new measurement train to the ultrasonic test trains that are run at a frequency commensurate with the level of traffic traversing the lines so that defects and potential issues are identified and managed. Should the ORR do an investigation as has been suggested above its because they will want to see NR demonstrate whether these were known defects that were being proactive;y managed or not.

Annetts key

Established Member
Is it not perhaps worth questioning whether the wet bed issue is maybe more a question of geography, rather than lacking maintenance (Although I'm sure this contributes). The GWML is one of a few rail lines in the country which follows a river valley for a long time period, and the valley of a large river at that. It's also a line which has seen relatively little alteration in alignment since opening, which was chosen far before drainage was understood. This Autumn is rivalling the wettest on record, but unusually the rain has been very spread out, and rather than short term flooding we've seen a very high water table for the entire period, which won't have helped the drainage from the ballast, on a route which in some places is very, very renowned for its terrible drainage, and is currently seeing more traffic in many places than it has at any other point. Combined with a warmer period turning into a very sudden freeze overnight, which will have worsened the state of the rails and ground in terms of harness and brittleness. I wouldn't say it is hugely surprising that we're seeing such a huge amount of wet beds, and would say that it is something which will be rather hard to fix if we continue to see rapidly changing, wet conditions in future.

A permanent way person can explain it better than me. But I will have a go. The whole track formation is designed to put less pressure on the natural ground surface than the equivalent of the heel of a shoe of a person wearing high heels.

Under the ballast, there is supposed to be a membrane to prevent the surface soils from getting into the ballast. The ballast (if in good condition and with the required depth) is designed to spread the weight of the load from each sleeper. The sleepers in turn support the rails and even out the weight across the ballast. The rails also help to partially distribute the weight of each wheel between the sleepers.

The size of the ballast means if it’s in good condition, it’s self draining. But of course, this relies on the lineside drains being in good condition.

If the ballast is not kept compacted under each and every sleeper, the passage of trains will result in some sleepers rising and then slamming into the ballast as each wheel moves along the rails. It’s the passage of trains that causes this effect. Hence the importance of either machine tampering or manual packing (preferably with portable tools similar to kango hammers rather than just shovels and jacks).

If this is not sorted out relatively quickly on busy high speed, mixed traffic or heavy freight lines, the situation can escalate rather quickly.

As the ballast gets hammered, it breaks up. If the weather is dry, you get dust and gravel. But if it rains, you get mud. It’s the mud that results in the ballast retaining water, as it clogs up both the ballast and the lineside drains.

Once you have mud, the ballast is no longer able to properly support the weight and is no longer as effective in distributing the weight. Plus, with the passage of trains, some of the mud ends up on the top of the sleepers where it just makes a mess.

The type of stone that was used for the ballast also makes a difference, as some stone is more hardwearing than other types.

As more of the ballast is damaged, the track will visibly start to dip. The vertical distance that the rail and the sleeper can move (as a train passes over) can quickly get to between 3 to 5cm.

Eventually the forces experienced by the sleeper may result in rail fasteners working loose. Bolts/nuts/screws working loose. Concrete sleepers may crack or break. And the increased stress on the rail may result in defects in the steel. Or the rail may crack or break.

Since a reorganisation in 2011, the function that looks after the lineside infrastructure including, drainage (track and lineside), fencing and ventilation has been under pressure. The reduction in staff back then has only been partially addressed since then by limited increases to staff levels.

Would the sleeper have failed some time before the rail in this case?
Looking at the photo, yes, it’s likely the sleeper failed before the rail.

How many trains per hour compared to now? how much work done whilst trains were running?
You also have to take account of the type of trains. HST (class 43) power cars hammered the track more than EMUs or DMUs do. But I don’t know how 80X compare.

Forgive my ignorance - but should there be separate rails with a fishplate to join them that's failed? Or is it a fracture? From the rounding of the end of the left hand running rail it looks like it's been springing up and being hammered by wheels hitting it - was that at line speed?
That photo is part of the rail near point work. Modern high speed point work rails are welded. So no fishplates. If you mean temporary clamping, that looks a bit beyond that. Especially with the damage to the sleeper and the poor condition of the ballast.

The current groundwater conditions are not ‘normal’ for this time of year. I’m quoting an environment agency report here for a similar area of London which is public, but I’m not sure where as I’m accessing from a closed system. The levels of rainfall this autumn have not been normal. In November the rainfall was 138% of the long term average, and 343% of the long term effective rainfall average. The groundwater in the area has been assessed as ‘exceptionally high’ by the environment agency.

As I mention it’s also not all about groundwater, the ground under the railway is in effect a foundation. Far more trains passing over it than the period you mention, which are a different weight. Added to increased weight of equipment like the OHLE etc will have have an impact. Previous winters have been cold, but the sudden change was unusual, normally it gets colder over a period of weeks, and this will have meant the ground conditions were significantly different between the last and fairly trains of the days passing over, meaning the track may not have settled with the changing conditions.
See my comments above. Unless you can see lots of water, such as the track being flooded or the cess being flooded, as long as the ground under the formation cannot flow, it’s not generally a problem. Problem areas will be near rivers.

There are areas elsewhere where the water table is not very far below ‘natural’ ground level and this normally does not cause problems.

The modern railway operates in a very different environment than the Victorian one, or even the 1960s one. Train weights, speeds and frequencies are higher, other equipment adds weight and the basic infrastructure is just plain older. Maintenance of gulleys, drains, etc., may (only may) have fallen, leading to less ability to deal with extremes of weather. Last year the intense dry heat of the summer will have caused the ground to dry out abnormally, while this year it has been the opposite - a cool, wetter summer followed by a very wet autumn. Ground stability problems could only increase. Then there is the railway operating system - it is massively more complex now and, and a result, much more delicate and subject to failures. This includes signalling, power supplies and rolling stock. In summary, the railway today is a hugely more fragile beast than in times past. It will therefore fall over much more often (and can be brought back to life much less easily in many cases owing to changes in working regimes).
For main lines, the rails, sleepers, ballast, membrane, signalling system, OLE etc. are all younger than the Victorian era. Indeed, for main lines, the rails and sleepers and al least the top layer of ballast will be more recent than the 1960s. The signalling on the area under discussion is far more recent. As is the OLE.

Yes, the line of route is the same. Most of the cuttings, embankments, tunnels, stone and brick bridges and other structures may be original Victorian in age. But over the years, the railway would have maintained these. BR for example spent a lot of money on improving Box Tunnel.

80X I would think are lighter than steam locomotives, and don’t hammer the track like steam locomotives. Heavy freight trains can and do affect the track more than normal passenger trains.

The biggest issues are:
  • Modern computer based signalling and axle counter systems tend to fail in a different manner, hence typically causing bigger problems when it does fail. Conventional relay based interlocking was very reliable, the big failures were normally only caused if a lineside cable was damaged or degraded.
  • Less resources are being put into routine maintenance and renewal, this will eventually cause problems. This will have more of an impact on busy high speed lines.
  • The change from working with lookout warning to having to have the line blocked means it’s significantly harder to try to fix problems during the day.
  • And yes, vegetation and drainage work being under resourced is causing problems, Network Rail know this.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
That photo is part of the rail near point work. Modern high speed point work rails are welded. So no fishplates. If you mean temporary clamping, that looks a bit beyond that. Especially with the damage to the sleeper and the poor condition of the ballast.

Thanks. I take it that it was near or part of the 'crossing'. What puzzled me was that, if it was a fracture rather than an intentional join, it seemed strange that it should be so straight and vertical, and in the same relative position on three adjacent rails. I suppose they might be 'torn' along welds, but just seems odd - the usual statement is 'a weld is stronger than the metal'.

Long ago, from a passing train on the WCML, I saw a broken rail - or rather a triangle missing with one apex in the web and the rail surface representing the hypotenuse - and this all seemed jagged. (and before any comment is made I - via the guard - did report it to the power box as soon as we could, although on subsequent enquiry it had already resulted in a TC failure, but a bit apprehensive between seeing it and being able to stop & report it).

Edit couldn't spell 'jagged'!

Pete_uk

Established Member
Another line which seems to be frequently affected by track defects is the section between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa.

I’ve travelled over it various times and on a number of occasions have felts lurches and/or the train sways quite violently.

Just south of the M5 had always been a bit lively

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As I described above, when HST service started and through the 1970s-80s the line was renowned for being like a billiard table, with permanent way issues almost unknown. The Western Region CCE of the era took, quite rightly, a lot of credit for this in various articles that followed on. And this was all through rain and snow, as NORMAL in a winter.

You’ll also remember, I’m sure, the years of near continuous engineering work that Mr Rees delivered in the mid 70s that enabled it, including a rather prolonged closure of the Badminton route.

londonmidland

Established Member
More issues this morning with yet another broken rail:

Description​

A broken rail between London Paddington and Reading means some lines are blocked. Trains running between these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 20 minutes or revised.

Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Is that four significant rail breaks in two weeks now? On the Main Lines again I see :s

Just south of the M5 had always been a bit lively

The Midland Railway constructed their raised embankments using locomotive ash rather than proper ground materials, so have caused poor formation conditions throughout their life.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The ORR have now announced an investigation, presumably related to the recent trend of infrastructure failures:

Today we’ve launched an investigation into poor train punctuality and performance in Network Rail’s Wales & Western region.

Our investigation will focus on Network Rail, but delivering reliable, punctual services requires industry collaboration.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It's a lot of very old railway in a very compact space.
Can't fight the inherent age of the infrastructure forever. I'd suggest conversion to slab track but that'd probably be so costly and disruptive as to make building a new line attractive by comparison

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Interestingly, the actual letter to Network Rail (https://golive-orr.axis12.com/sites...and-western-region-performance-2023-11-29.pdf) states that they will look into adequacy of resourcing and whether NR have been maintaining assets appropriately. Financing may also be under the spotlight.
ORR already decide how much money NR need to Operate, Maintain and Renew the railway and each region makes their own submission to substantiate why they need x pounds. This is based on asset conditions (age and known deficiencies), train service levels (as they drive asset deterioration rates) and access availability so NR W&W had the opportunity to set the parameters and its not as if Elizabeth Line service weren't known about and they actually started later than planned. Some say its the IETs but the East Coast isn't suffering the level of rail breaks although it has its own issues. Anyhow NR should have all the answers already as the local and regional Track engineers follow up every rail break to seek root cause and they will have diagnosed if there has been a failure in detection and/or management of known issues. Given NRs statement issued in response to Cliftons piece on the BBC id say NR are pretty sure of their facts but lets see what ORR come with and at least it will reveal what has happened.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
IMO the NR decision (cost-driven) to remove/disband the Western’s HOBC capability should be under the spotlight with these track defects. The wider performance issues are more than just track related though. How much has NR’s maintenance regime been impacted by the loss of red-zone working for fault rectification etc?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
You’ll also remember, I’m sure, the years of near continuous engineering work that Mr Rees delivered in the mid 70s that enabled it, including a rather prolonged closure of the Badminton route.

Would that be the same Mr P. Rees that was D.C.E. Watford around 1970? There were one or two major P.W. problems on the West Coast around then.

Taunton

Established Member
Indeed, Philip Rees delivered to the first HST project a railway in great condition. He was of course in a position that started with Brunel, whose works have also long held up well. Along the way, Grierson came along as GWR CCE around 1900. Son of a previous GWR general manager, he was in charge of the many cutoffs etc that were built at that time, a number of which brought significant formation issues with them ever since. That Badminton closure in the 1970s dug right down to the foundations and removed some strange layering that had been there since construction. Sodbury Tunnel along there has been a nightmare for flooding, inadequately drained, ever since. Castle Cary to Cogload has also had constant softness over The Levels, which have long been a lucrative source of overtime for Taunton track gangs. And on it goes. Grierson was apparently an argumentative character, loco engineer Churchward didn't get on with him and ultimately refused to speak to him. Mr Rees must have heard these old stories and despaired.

My notes on today's expreience on the GWML are in the other thread.

The ORR have now announced an investigation, presumably related to the recent trend of infrastructure failures:

Today we’ve launched an investigation into poor train punctuality and performance in Network Rail’s Wales & Western region.

Our investigation will focus on Network Rail, but delivering reliable, punctual services requires industry collaboration.
Surely this leads to whoever is the current CCE of Wales & Western having to Consider Their Position.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
IMO the NR decision (cost-driven) to remove/disband the Western’s HOBC capability should be under the spotlight with these track defects. The wider performance issues are more than just track related though. How much has NR’s maintenance regime been impacted by the loss of red-zone working for fault rectification etc?
HOBC was originally deployed to Western extensively and treated great swathes of the route but cleaning ballast doesn't can't treat formation issues in the long term that needs a bottom up rebuild with sand blanket and separators. Good point about the loss of red zone working and how much that impacts being able to undertake interventions to deal with defects.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Indeed, Philip Rees delivered to the first HST project a railway in great condition. He was of course in a position that started with Brunel, whose works have also long held up well. Along the way, Grierson came along as GWR CCE around 1900. Son of a previous GWR general manager, he was in charge of the many cutoffs etc that were built at that time, a number of which brought significant formation issues with them ever since. That Badminton closure in the 1970s dug right down to the foundations and removed some strange layering that had been there since construction. Sodbury Tunnel along there has been a nightmare for flooding, inadequately drained, ever since. Castle Cary to Cogload has also had constant softness over The Levels, which have long been a lucrative source of overtime for Taunton track gangs. And on it goes. Grierson was apparently an argumentative character, loco engineer Churchward didn't get on with him and ultimately refused to speak to him. Mr Rees must have heard these old stories and despaired.

My notes on today's expreience on the GWML are in the other thread.

Surely this leads to whoever is the current CCE of Wales & Western having to Consider Their Position.

Mr Rees only fairly recently passed away at a very good age. An absolute legend to many who knew him (the concept of a major lengthy block of several months pre 1976 to rebuild from the bottom up the Badminton route pre the introduction of the 125's was very innovative - accepted by "stakeholders" - and lasted very well - despite later pounding by imported coal from Portbury to Didcot Power station)

I gather that he insisted on a very solid budget provision for "his" route, which was granted by the then General Managers and of course the BRB , - much has been written / debated about his legacy - one of which related that such was the quality of his route , it could have held up without much attention , for several years.

(who remembers the reccomendation in the Railtrack era - "Project Destiny" - do not relay and replace - just patch ..... - not on his watch).

Taunton

Established Member
If the upset that caused today's issues was where I think it was, at Stockley Junction (Airport spur) on the Down Main, that has been a worksite for a couple of weeks, with substantial lineside temporary lighting and a work crew presence each day. Wonder what was being done last night.

Annetts key

Established Member
Some of the defects are known issues, but for safety reasons if the defect degrades further, then either a speed restriction needs to be imposed, the existing speed restriction made more restrictive, or the affected line closed.

If a problem is reported from the start of service, it’s likely it was checked/inspected/tested overnight and the situation has worsened.

northernbelle

It's dangerous to conclude why this is happening without it being investigated properly.

"Funding cutbacks" are an easy and hyperbolic thing to say. The whole of NR has had such funding pressure - are these broken rails appearing across the whole network, or is it a specific pattern on the GWML?

There could be any number of reasons specific to the area that's causing this. Is it a particular fleet causing the damage? Is it the management of particular teams and projects in that area?

Presumably that's why the ORR has launched an inquiry which is exactly the right thing to do before we go around asserting what the issue is.

Status
Not open for further replies.