• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sorry to dissapoint Tech, but there's plenty of info on Ben Nevis out there should you wish for more - I found watching a youtube video of the climb most informative during the planning stage :)

Thanks! :)

- - - - - -

Just a quick one...

4/9/22

I was in the vicinity of the Keighley & Worth Valley today and the roster caught my attention. Two of my favourite classes of locomotive were operating and I'd not been on either of these loco's for a while- the 37 and 2MT Tender locomotive. Additionally, both coach sets had a bar car selling Timothy Taylors and there was also a Branch Line Society railtour due on the line with some West Coast 37's, so it seemed rude not to... ...additionally, I'd never actually called at Damems- England's smallest station- so I visited that station twice today as it's a very convenient place to switch trains to stay on the more interesting part of the line, with only a short wait.

View attachment 120303

37075 was in fine form today

View attachment 120304

Not sure about the colour on 78022, I much prefer black on a mixed traffic locomotive.

View attachment 120305

All in all a great day was had :)

Brilliant. As a new fan of the line I’m pleased to read that you visited it again. I also agree that I prefer black on a 2MT. ;)

What’s the arrangement with a railtour then? Do they drop everyone off at Keighley and store the stock just by the station next to the running line? Also when you say the most interesting bit do you mean the Keighley end?

Questions questions! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Brilliant. As a new fan of the line I’m pleased to read that you visited it again. I also agree that I prefer black on a 2MT. ;)

What’s the arrangement with a railtour then? Do they drop everyone off at Keighley and store the stock just by the station next to the running line? Also when you say the most interesting bit do you mean the Keighley end?

Questions questions! :lol:
Well, being the Branchline Society and liking their track, this tour started in P1 on the mainline, reversed back into the KWVR/mainline headshunt and reversed again, ran through P3 non-stop to the long headshunt then ran back into P3 to drop off passengers. Then it shunted back to the long headshunt up the KWVR gradient to be out of the way. When leaving, it used P4 to give the BLS membership both platforms. I have footage of some of these moves which I will share in due course. The railtour could have run onto the KWVR proper but it would have only fitted in two of the platforms, so BLS passengers transferred onto the KWVR 37-hauled service which made it pretty busy- certainly the fullest compartment I've ever been in on there.

Yes, I like the Keighley end most for the gradient and curve out of the station, plus Ingrow tunnel- you can really hear the engines work there :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Great stuff and nicely explained. I don’t think I’d quite grasped how versatile that end of the line was actually.

Aside number 1: The last time I went behind 37075 was on the GCRN when my daughter was about 5 years old (she’s 21 now).
Aside number 2: I did a tour with the forum staff team on the Hastings Unit from Bromley to Portsmouth yesterday. Not done a tour for ages and I’ll try and knock a YouTube video up at some point.

xotGD

Established Member
I'm sorry to dissapoint Tech, but there's plenty of info on Ben Nevis out there should you wish for more - I found watching a youtube video of the climb most informative during the planning stage :)

Thanks! :)

- - - - - -

Just a quick one...

4/9/22

I was in the vicinity of the Keighley & Worth Valley today and the roster caught my attention. Two of my favourite classes of locomotive were operating and I'd not been on either of these loco's for a while- the 37 and 2MT Tender locomotive. Additionally, both coach sets had a bar car selling Timothy Taylors and there was also a Branch Line Society railtour due on the line with some West Coast 37's, so it seemed rude not to... ...additionally, I'd never actually called at Damems- England's smallest station- so I visited that station twice today as it's a very convenient place to switch trains to stay on the more interesting part of the line, with only a short wait.

View attachment 120303

37075 was in fine form today

View attachment 120304

Not sure about the colour on 78022, I much prefer black on a mixed traffic locomotive.

View attachment 120305

All in all a great day was had :)
Our paths crossed today! Indeed, that is my head poking out in your photo of the WCRC 37.

Iskra

Established Member
Great stuff and nicely explained. I don’t think I’d quite grasped how versatile that end of the line was actually.

Aside number 1: The last time I went behind 37075 was on the GCRN when my daughter was about 5 years old (she’s 21 now).
Aside number 2: I did a tour with the forum staff team on the Hastings Unit from Bromley to Portsmouth yesterday. Not done a tour for ages and I’ll try and knock a YouTube video up at some point.
Yeah, it is very flexible; they can even get a 3rd set running between Ingrow and Keighley on special event days too, which isn't bad for a 5 mile branchline.

That's interesting, and you just got me researching 37075 in preservation. I'd assumed that it was always on the KWVR and I'd ridden on it in my childhood but since forgotten about it, but looking back it wasn't there in the 90's, so yesterday was actually my first time behind it.

Now that does sound fun, I'd be interested to see your footage of that one. I'm tempted by the idea of a ride on it, but obviously most runs are in the South, which makes the logistics of doing it difficult. Hope you had a good day!

xotGD

Established Member
Ah, what a coincidence! :D Sorry for papping you! ;) Hope you enjoyed your trip! :)
I'm the one who should apologise for photo bombing you!

Always a good day out on the KWVR. Especially when the 37 is out.

Iskra

Established Member
The Transatlantic Transcontinental Part 1

As we desisted with all Covid restrictions earlier this year, I was very much ready to do some serious international exploring again. So, I decided to book a bit of an epic trip, that I've always wanted to do- travelling all the way across (the United States of) America by rail. I booked everything and all seemed good. However, about a month before my trip Amtrak emailed me, saying that they had downgraded me on my second train (which I would be on for around 54 hours) from a Roomette to Coach Class. This really was a spanner in the works, and I was briefly considering cancelling and flying some of the way. However, after a bit of time I thought how I could make 54 hours in a seat (something I would never normally choose to do) manageable and that flying a leg would defeat the point of my journey somewhat, so I decided to hell with it and I did it! Here's how it went...

15/9/22

I got a lift to Manchester Airport and luckily the trip across the M62 was plain sailing. I was a little bit nervous as I'd done online Check In, but also had checked baggage for the first time, so didn't really get how it all worked. (I fly a lot, but just usually with hand luggage for speed and simplicity.) It was however all fairly simple, the first couple of people had a few fails with the Aer Lingus bag drop machine. but I learnt from their mistakes and was probably the first person to do the task quickly and competently, so felt a minor sense of achievement at that. Security was busy but brisk and I got talking to some Americans in the queue who had been cruising around the Isles of Scotland which sounded very nice and I was impressed that they hadn't just done London and Edinburgh like a lot of Americans seem to do. After that I headed to Costa and then just chilled until my departure time. Today would be my first flight with Aer Lingus, which I was intrigued about.

The Aircraft was a small one for a Transatlantic- an A321NeoLR, but it was a nice aircraft and very modern inside.

thumbnail_IMG_8691.jpg

I also got extremely lucky on this flight- it was a quiet flight with perhaps 20-30 seats empty, and somehow I managed to get a window seat and an entire row to myself! I'd not paid to choose a seat or anything, so I was very happy with that and the extra room was really beneficial on the flight. The service on the flight was very nice, with lunch being chicken and mushroom ravioli which was actually very good quality although the portion not massive. Also served were a side salad, a cheesecake and some cheese and biscuits. The flight headed West across the middle of Ireland before just going straight across the Atlantic, this was a route I hadn't taken but it was a very smooth journey. We made landfall around Canada, and then headed down the upper East of the US where we did encounter some light turbulence and were also served afternoon tea before landing at JFK a little ahead of schedule. Overall it was an excellent flight and I would happily fly Aer Lingus again- very good value for money in my opinion.

On landing, I managed to clear immigration with no challenges and only a few questions and collecting my bag was also very simple. I then headed to the Airtrain which I took to a station called Jamaica, where you need to pay an exit fee. Unfortunately the machines weren't working properly, so I paid cash at a little kiosk opposite them and headed for the Long Island Railroad, which I'd bought an E-ticket for while on the Airtrain.

Finding the platform was easy enough and I was fairly impressed with my first US train:

thumbnail_IMG_8695.jpg

It was very much in a cliched US silver livery and was very roomy inside with ample seating, which was fairly comfortable too. I found a bay of myself which conveniently had enough room for my enormous suitcase also, sat back and enjoyed the views and US streetscapes, which I hadn't seen since February 2020. While I've visited the US quite a few times, this was my first time to New York and it was architecturally quite different to what I had experienced before. The part of Penn station that you arrive in on the Long Island Railway is a crowded, dingy and chaotic affair. The lifts to street level weren't that easy to find until I asked a Police Officer. On street level it was a lot calmer and I able to walk the few blocks to my hotel the Hyatt Place, Chelsea fairly easily. Check in was smooth, I was offered a free upgrade to a room with a better view and I was wowed by being in a room on the 42nd floor and the view from said room:

99D72048-4321-4B91-92FC-C348B2BE5711.jpeg

The room was really nice, modern and spacious. I then headed out to explore New York as I would only have about 20 hours here, so wanted to see as much as possible. Time Square was probably the highlight of the evening, which I went to after dark for maximum effect.

16/9/22

The next morning I used the advantage of my British jet lag to get up early and had an early breakfast at 06:30 before walking West to the sea front. It was chilly early in the morning, but it was due to get into the mid 20's later in the day. I then walked down the shore to the Battery which was around 3km I think, to see the Statue of Liberty. I was glad to have seen it but I can't say I was overly impressed, it's actually quite small. I then walked back to the hotel via the World Trade Centre which a really interesting place to visit, in a fairly deep way. I then headed back towards my hotel, stumbling across a Trader Joe's where I was able to purchase some essential supplies for the long journey ahead, which I stashed into my ridiculously large and cumbersome suitcase, before checking out of the hotel and heading to the station.

And that's where I'm going leave it for now as I'm quite tired. The next post will contain a lot more train stuff, so please bare with me for the time being :) To be continued...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have to say right now I am very jealous! It has been more than 6 and a half years since I went to NYC, and that view you shared from the hotel room has me itching to go back and see what it's like now!

Aer Lingus eh? That's certainly the lesser used way to go to the USA, does Manchester have the Preclearance thing or is that only a viable option with a flight involving Dublin? A 321neoLR is an intriguing option, and I'd have not expected such a thing. Then again I'm a bit old-fashioned and think of huge craft like 747s for trans-Atlantic flights. I genuinely didn't know a 321neo existed in a form that can fly MAN-JFK, that's quite funky :)

I really hope you'll also share some photos from Times Square, I know it's pretty much a mandatory touristy thing to do but I did like the atmosphere when I went. There was a whole ton of Subway work going on at the time, and I'd like to go back and see it all again. I'd also love to do Coney Island when it's open, which it wasn't on my visit.

When I went, it was with a friend from work and we got in in the evening so did a taxi to the Airbnb we had in Brooklyn. Oh that reminds me of the takeaway nearby, that place was great :wub: The way back we did the A line to somewhere with an AirTrain connection, that was pretty cool. I think I would try the LIRR option as you did next time though.

Ooh I really want to go back to NYC! I would honestly try and make sure you allow for another trip to NYC or at least more time there before you return to the UK (if you're not back already), it was the first place I went to that I didn't want to leave on the return flight. I enjoyed it that much, and I would absolutely go and do much more of Central Park this time and in general more of the city on foot.

I am definitely excited to see where else you went to in the USA!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is going to be very interesting to read about @Iskra. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks all. Next instalment should be this evening :)

I have to say right now I am very jealous! It has been more than 6 and a half years since I went to NYC, and that view you shared from the hotel room has me itching to go back and see what it's like now!

Aer Lingus eh? That's certainly the lesser used way to go to the USA, does Manchester have the Preclearance thing or is that only a viable option with a flight involving Dublin? A 321neoLR is an intriguing option, and I'd have not expected such a thing. Then again I'm a bit old-fashioned and think of huge craft like 747s for trans-Atlantic flights. I genuinely didn't know a 321neo existed in a form that can fly MAN-JFK, that's quite funky :)

I really hope you'll also share some photos from Times Square, I know it's pretty much a mandatory touristy thing to do but I did like the atmosphere when I went. There was a whole ton of Subway work going on at the time, and I'd like to go back and see it all again. I'd also love to do Coney Island when it's open, which it wasn't on my visit.

When I went, it was with a friend from work and we got in in the evening so did a taxi to the Airbnb we had in Brooklyn. Oh that reminds me of the takeaway nearby, that place was great :wub: The way back we did the A line to somewhere with an AirTrain connection, that was pretty cool. I think I would try the LIRR option as you did next time though.

Ooh I really want to go back to NYC! I would honestly try and make sure you allow for another trip to NYC or at least more time there before you return to the UK (if you're not back already), it was the first place I went to that I didn't want to leave on the return flight. I enjoyed it that much, and I would absolutely go and do much more of Central Park this time and in general more of the city on foot.

I am definitely excited to see where else you went to in the USA!

There's no pre-clearance from Manchester, but I don't see that as a massive gain. Coming off a small aircraft is a massive advantage in terms of smaller queues at immigration and baggage claim. It was the price that lured me to Aer Lingus- £350 compared to over £1400 with Virgin at the time from Manchester (algorithms no doubt) and with my last trip with Virgin (Vegas on a 747) being quite poor, I was in no rush to pay a premium to travel with them. I agree that Transatlantic flights conjour up mental images of 747's generally and indeed most of my transatlantics have been on those, but I remember a couple of twin jet aircraft before- one with British Midland International from Manchester-Chicago and another with TUI from Doncaster-Orlando Sanford, but I can no longer recall what aircraft those flights were. Anyway, in terms of big aircraft on Transatlantics, keep reading this trip report for more on that front ;) :D And yes, the A321-NeoLR was indeed a surprising but great aircraft for the journey.

In all honesty, none of my photo's of Times Square are all that good I'm afraid. It is a place with a great atmosphere that I very much enjoyed being at, but in terms of photography it is quite a compact and congested space, so in all honesty I think you need a drone or something to get any decent photos of it. I think NYC is one of those places where they are always building things, there was a lot of construction going on while I was there too. The LIRR worked for me on price and being a rail enthusiast it just seemed the logical option, plus I chose my hotel due to its proximity to the station.

This was very much just a scoping-out visit to NYC and the plan is absolutely to spend more time there in the future :)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Part 2

Well, Moynihan train hall is just total night and day compared to the LIRR section of the station. Such a pleasant exterior and interior:

thumbnail_IMG_8750.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8788.jpg

On entering, I headed for the Metropolitan Lounge, which guests in a roomette or above get complimentary access to. This was by far the best feature that I came across in all my time using Amtrak and I suggest that anyone who is able to, makes full use of this facility. It's a decent sized, modern lounge with comfortable seating, power points, departure screens, a separate paid bar which serves cocktails, a balcony and a fairly upmarket 'canteen' which serves a great variety of pre-paid food and drinks. It's a bit like an airport lounge, whatever you want, they give you and everything I had in there was fantastic. I mainly had drinks and lemon cake slices because, well I just like cake really. But I did also have a fantastic Cobb salad and all the other food looked great. My train was announced about 20 minutes before departure, at which point I made my way down to the platforms. On the concourse I bought a 4-pack of trendy beer from a hipster liquor store, the occupants of which were impressed (or perhaps they just thought I was daft) by the journey ahead of me when they asked where I was going. I took a quick picture of the loco and went to board my sleeper car.

The Lake Shore Limited New York-Chicago.

thumbnail_IMG_8791.jpg

The Genesis P32AC-DM bi-mode locomotive that would take us as far as Albany

I was greeted by the guard and sleeper host and got settled into my roomette quite quickly and I was soon given a full run down of how everything worked by the friendly sleeper host. My room was in day-mode at this point. I wanted to see the view on both sides of the train, so shortly after departure I moved into the lounge car, which wasn't technically open at this point. My presence was fairly quickly challenged, but when I explained that I wasn't wanting any food and just wanted to see out of both sides of the train, they were cool with me sitting in there. Speaking of cool, this carriage was very cool indeed, having massively over-powering air conditioning that caused some other passengers to complain later that evening, but I have a feeling it might have been deliberate to stop people loitering in there as it also seemed to be a bit of a 'staff mess car'. I was very glad to have been able to see from both sides of the train as all the good views were on the left hand side, whereas my roomette was on the right. The main views were of the Hudson river, which was quite impressive. At one point a long CSX operated American freight train was running on a line on the opposite bank and that was quite a sight. Later on, we also had an American Eagle briefly flying right along side us, which seemed very fitting. After a couple of hours we arrived at Albany, where the fun began. At Albany, our train combines with another portion from Boston and we lose our third rail capable locomotive, to switch to the diesel ones that hauled the portion from Boston. This takes about 45 minutes. After getting a bit of fresh air on the platform and filming the loco changes. I needed the bathroom so nipped up to the concourse and had a cheeky look at Albany, which was a bit dull really (or at least the section around the station was).

A video of the loco change and some shunting:

So these two Genesis P42DC locomotives would now haul us the rest of the way to Chicago, or that was the plan...

thumbnail_IMG_8809.jpg

Once the train was joined, and electricity was reinstated in the lounge car, I ordered dinner. I'd already seen a few people eat, so I chose the dish that I thought had looked the best, which was the salmon and prawns. It was nice enough for obviously microwaved food and there was dessert too, which was a brownie. You also get a free beer with you main too (although I actually had mine while running alongside the Hudson earlier on).

thumbnail_IMG_8822.jpg

The sun set while we were at Albany and the jet lag started to catch up with me, so I asked James -the sleeper host- to make up my bed for me. I chose the top bed, to maintain some room to faff around with my suitcase at ground level and this worked. The lady in the compartment opposite was just travelling a few more stops, so she was wowed that these rooms could be slept in too. She was originally Welsh, but had moved to the US with a serviceman and had a family, we were just getting towards the part of her life story where I felt she was going to tell me her husband had died recently, when we were interrupted by the conductor telling us of locomotive failure and that there would be a delay while a new locomotive was sourced. At this point, I went to bed. The bed was longitudinal, which seemed a bit odd at first, but after an hour of tossing and turning I got comfortable, with the occasional cackling of the conductor coming through the PA with lots of apologies and updates on what was going on. After about an hour delay, I felt forward motion and happily went to sleep. At somepoint after this, I awoke to find us going BACKWARDS! ...Although very slowly and stopping frequently with power cut outs. It turned out we'd had an additional locomotive added, so we now had three! But that still hadn't fixed the issue, so only two miles out of Albany, we'd broken down again which had forced a reversal to Albany, during which we broke down a further four times. I was very appreciative of my bed during all this, and I was half expecting a cancellation so was trying to maximise my sleep knowing the journey I had ahead of me the next few days. Somehow at Albany they must have sourced another locomotive or got things fixed, as that was the end of the troubles for this train. I think we were very lucky that this was happening somewhere with a depot where replacement locomotives were available, otherwise I dread to think what would have happened. After detecting forward motion again, I slept very well the rest of the night. I awoke to the sun rising over Lake Erie, which was nice and I opened the curtains to view it ...which reminds me; in your roomette your toilet is also in your room- remember to close the curtains before use! I then went for a shower and got ready, the shower was okay, probably the second best out of the three train showers I've had- the third placed one was a cold one while in the Arctic Circle! :D Breakfast was pretty decent, and I awoke to the news that we were three and a half hours late. I had a connection of four hours in Chicago, although I didn't let myself worry as you can't change these things so there's no point worrying about it in my mind. The scenery in these parts was pretty flat, but nice enough- I liked Indiana, and I actually thought the best bit was immediately approaching Chicago, running through all the oversized decaying steelworks, it was like being in Middlesbrough! :D I was also pleased to see a diesel shunter with a couple of torpedo wagons, which I've never seen in the flesh before so that was cool. Just before Chicago a time-zone change worked in my favour and gave me an extra hour connection time.

thumbnail_IMG_8823.jpg

The (now 3) locomotives in Chicago:

thumbnail_IMG_8830.jpg

Chicago Station is impressive:

thumbnail_IMG_8834.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

87electric

Great stuff so far.
My bucket list journey of LA to NY was completed in 2018. I did the seats, no sleeper bed, and stopped off in Chicago and Pittsburgh at friend's houses for a week or so. I was aware that maybe factoring in an extra day because of possible large Amtrak delays, but I didn't, and I gambled. In fact, the train rolled in on time in NY and I found my flight was delayed for 4 or 5 hours. I'm not a fan of planes at all.
Looking forward to the next installments of your trip.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks all. Next instalment should be this evening :)

There's no pre-clearance from Manchester, but I don't see that as a massive gain. Coming off a small aircraft is a massive advantage in terms of smaller queues at immigration and baggage claim. It was the price that lured me to Aer Lingus- £350 compared to over £1400 with Virgin at the time from Manchester (algorithms no doubt) and with my last trip with Virgin (Vegas on a 747) being quite poor, I was in no rush to pay a premium to travel with them. I agree that Transatlantic flights conjour up mental images of 747's generally and indeed most of my transatlantics have been on those, but I remember a couple of twin jet aircraft before- one with British Midland International from Manchester-Chicago and another with TUI from Doncaster-Orlando Sanford, but I can no longer recall what aircraft those flights were. Anyway, in terms of big aircraft on Transatlantics, keep reading this trip report for more on that front ;) :D And yes, the A321-NeoLR was indeed a surprising but great aircraft for the journey.

In all honesty, none of my photo's of Times Square are all that good I'm afraid. It is a place with a great atmosphere that I very much enjoyed being at, but in terms of photography it is quite a compact and congested space, so in all honesty I think you need a drone or something to get any decent photos of it. I think NYC is one of those places where they are always building things, there was a lot of construction going on while I was there too. The LIRR worked for me on price and being a rail enthusiast it just seemed the logical option, plus I chose my hotel due to its proximity to the station.

This was very much just a scoping-out visit to NYC and the plan is absolutely to spend more time there in the future :)

Very true this is with immigration queues, an entire 747 can take a while to process. Mind you, depending on the border force in the country you're going to, so can an A321!

£350 is a good price for MAN-JFK, fair play to that. Virgin Atlantic's current adverts really put me off flying with them, for me it would pretty much be BA or nothing. Now the 747s are gone, I'd be looking for a 777 for the fun factor. I'd happily accept a 787 though, I like them a lot and they are more environmentally friendly than 777s.

Anyway, that is a shame about Times Square, but I'm glad you liked it and NYC. I'm already set on booking a revisit to NYC when I can finally get some time off booked. If the price is right, I'll be off! Your trip report really lit that fire in me to want to go back!

Back to your train to Chicago, it sounds like a challenging and patience testing time, but overall it looks to have been worth it. I'm following this keenly, don't you worry!

Iskra

Established Member
Part 3 - Chicago-Emeryville - The Californa Zephyr

Due to the fairly short time I now had in Chicago, I didn't stray far from the station, and thus arrived at the departure gate early. This was the bit of the journey that I was a little bit anxious about, as I would be spending the next 54 hours in Coach class, which is seats only and regular readers will have seen that I do quite like to travel at least comfortably, if not luxuriously on my travels. This would also be my first overnight in a seat. Unfortunately, some of the characters at the departure gate were not filling me with confidence for my journey. When the train was called I stood in the queue near some reasonable looking people, and I'd say this is a top tip for Amtrak Coach Class travel. Seats are not pre-allocated, instead you queue again at the door to the train and they are issued sequentially- so the people you are queuing near are the people you will be sitting near, so position yourself wisely. Boarding was a little frantic, but I found ample space for me large suitcase on the bottom deck and just took my rucksack up to the top deck. The seating area itself is pretty nice. The leg room is ample, the seats have a really good recline on them and there is a powerpoint for each seat. The lighting is also fairly dark to facilitate sleeping and there are curtains too. When you first board, you need to stay in your seat until they have kind of checked you in and they put a little marker with your destination above your seat. While we were waiting for this process to happen, there were a number of explanations about how things work on the train over the tannoy. I got talking to the guy next to me in this time- he'd quit his job and was heading out to Nevada to be a cattle rancher on his dads farm, which I thought was a very American story. Once underway, I headed straight for the observation car, as my plan was to spend as little time as possible in my allocated seat in the sleeper. There was a bit more room, light and conversation was a little less frowned upon in this car. I also found the seat padding superior on the table seats. Soon, one of the 'reasonable-looking' people that I had boarded with came and sat opposite me and we got talking, and then another pair from the same group sat on the table opposite and we quickly formed some sort of 'Amtrak Coach Class survival union/social club,' which eventually numbered 7 in total. It was this mixture of people that absolutely made this journey from here on in. From dawn until beyond dusk and sometimes until nearly dawn again there would be some of the group here socialising and you just dropped in and out as you wished. The Coach Class Cafe Bar was downstairs in this same carriage, with the restaurant still out of bounds for Coach Class there was no decent food available. I had brought some provision with me, but meals were mainly microwaved rubbish from the cafe bar, although they did do a nice Greek Salad, but that wasn't enough to fill you on its own. The best thing from the cafe bar was the coffee which was needed a lot due to the poor quality sleep on offer and the alcohol for socialising in the evenings. The server was friendly and did his job well- on the last morning we were all that desperate for caffeine we applauded his arrival for work as he passed through the observation car and he just grinned- he was definitely the most popular person in Coach! Anyway, the scenery starts quite flat as you progress out of Chicago and through Iowa. Unfortunately, as the sun set we ran into a giant lightning storm and there was a tornado warning issued. This meant that we had to reduce speed significantly for the safety of the train. So for the next 5 hours or so we trundled along at around 15mph. This was a bit of a drag and caused us to be delayed by around 3 hours from this point onwards. On the other side of the coin, it was quite a spectacular experience getting merry on the top deck of the train watching the lightning all around us, knowing we were safe due to being in a Faraday's cage. Overall it was a good evening, but I grew tired quite early with the jet lag continuing due to constantly going through new time zones. Just before I left the group to head to bed, a 'bit of a character' tried to force there way into the group conversation and was shut down by one of our group Stef, who was quite attractive. I then went to bed, but this character then apparently started shadowing around the train a bit. For maximum sleep potential I reclined the seat and but my Beats headphones on to cancel as much noise as possible from the rest of the carriage. Just I'd settled down there was an Announcement that the lights would now be dimmed 10pm-7pm for sleeping and a long list of (sensible) rules were read out and basically it said if you want to be noisy now, do it in the observation car. I then slept pretty well. Until fairly early in the morning when there had been a stop in the night and twice within a fairly short space of time Amtrak crew came through the train asking people where they were going to, which seemed a little odd at the time, considering they already knew this information and it was above my seat. At around 0600 I went downstairs and took my suitcase into the large accesible bathroom in order to get changed into fresh clothing for the day ahead and have a 'festival (wetwipe) shower' and do my ablutions. This was actually surprisingly refreshing. I then headed to the observation car where I enjoyed my morning coffee and others of the group arrived as they awoke. It turned out the night had been quite eventful, but that I'd missed it all by having my headphones on. 'The Character' who wasn't even in our sleeping car, had decided to come into the carriage in the middle of the night to somehow accost Stef, which had in turn caused everyone else in the carriage who was awake to rise up and position themselves between the man and Stef and then force him out of our car. Staff were then called and from then on they were continuously but subtly patrolling through Coach Class to provide a presence for the rest of that night- hence why they were going up and down asking people where they were going to even though they knew that information anyway. Luckily, the chap in question got off early in the morning so a peaceful journey was had after that point.

That morning, we were due into Denver. The train reverses in to Denver station. Obviously we were late, but we'd still have an elongated stop here as this is where the locomotives are refuelled. I was ready for a leg stretch so I got off the train and headed out for some breakfast. I came across some Swedish style coffee house, where the serving girl was very amused by me or my accent for some reason. I was hoping to get some decent nutritious food, but sadly such options would take around 15 minutes to prepare and that would be pushing it a bit in terms of missing my train. Instead, I bought a selection of cakes and pastries for our group as a morale lifter and headed back to the train, taking a couple of photos on the way.

thumbnail_IMG_8838.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8840.jpg

The above Yellow Carriage was a private railcar that was with us for the full journey, it looked a very cool (but costly) way to see America.

Back on the train, as we left Denver and started climbing this where the genuinely really impressive scenery begins. It's a slow climb, but you start to get impressive views back along the plains that we had just crossed and it's then into tunnels, ravines, mountain passes, fast flowing rivers- it's just really nice scenery. This coincided with lunch and I had a salad and a cheese selection which I very much enjoyed.

thumbnail_IMG_8872.jpg

thumbnail_5FEA5784-F190-4EDA-A07E-13E2202BBBC0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8892.jpg

Even in a relatively short space of time the landscape could look completely different:

thumbnail_IMG_9024.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9051.jpg

The train route then started to become entwined with the Colorado River, with its red rocks, canyons and river rapids, this was a truly captivating ride and the engineering to build this route started to look truly impressive. As we glided along the river, we passed a number of white water rafters and it looked very good fun. Apparently, in white water rafting culture when the once a day California Zephyr passes, it is some form of tradition to expose your bottom to the passing train, which we generally found highly amusing. One mooner nearly fell into the river while mooning us, but sadly that didn't quite come off or it would have been hilarious. Apparently, mooning back at the rafters is frowned upon, so be warned ;) In this area the staff came through and advised us that we might see some eagles, literally as the guy was explaining to this I pointed out a number of American Eagles circling above where he as stood.

thumbnail_IMG_9075 (1).jpgthumbnail_IMG_9097.jpg

Our final 'smoke stop' before sunset was at Grand Junction, where I took a quick picture of these (GP38?) locomotives in their iconic BNSF livery- this is an iconic livery to me due its featuring in the original MSTS which I played a lot as an early teen.

thumbnail_IMG_9106 (1).jpg

It was another boozy evening in the observation car as we watched the sun set behind the mountain, silhouetting them. I went to 'bed around' 10pm and slept in the same way as I had the night before, but sadly I didn't have a particularly great nights sleep. We seemed to have a frustratingly extended stop at Salt Lake City between 1am and 2pm for some reason and this period of stillness disturbed my sleep, so I went for a quick wonder to get the circulation flowing again and I briefly stepped onto the chilly platform before going back to my seat for the rest of the night.

To be continued...

Iskra

Established Member
Great stuff so far.
My bucket list journey of LA to NY was completed in 2018. I did the seats, no sleeper bed, and stopped off in Chicago and Pittsburgh at friend's houses for a week or so. I was aware that maybe factoring in an extra day because of possible large Amtrak delays, but I didn't, and I gambled. In fact, the train rolled in on time in NY and I found my flight was delayed for 4 or 5 hours. I'm not a fan of planes at all.
Looking forward to the next installments of your trip.
That sounds a cool trip. The seats are tough aren't they! :D

Thank you :)

Iskra

Established Member
Very true this is with immigration queues, an entire 747 can take a while to process. Mind you, depending on the border force in the country you're going to, so can an A321!

£350 is a good price for MAN-JFK, fair play to that. Virgin Atlantic's current adverts really put me off flying with them, for me it would pretty much be BA or nothing. Now the 747s are gone, I'd be looking for a 777 for the fun factor. I'd happily accept a 787 though, I like them a lot and they are more environmentally friendly than 777s.

Anyway, that is a shame about Times Square, but I'm glad you liked it and NYC. I'm already set on booking a revisit to NYC when I can finally get some time off booked. If the price is right, I'll be off! Your trip report really lit that fire in me to want to go back!

Back to your train to Chicago, it sounds like a challenging and patience testing time, but overall it looks to have been worth it. I'm following this keenly, don't you worry!
I'm a fan of BA recently, and they fly the A380 from San Francisco which was on my bucket list... ;) I'm yet to try a 787 but I'm sure I will fairly soon. They are less of a priority for me compared to the A380 as I think the 787 will be around a lot longer.

I'm glad I've inspired you somewhat :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think you may be right about the A380, it'll be interesting to see what happens. My only flight on one at this time was Sydney-Abu Dhabi, an experience but to be honest I don't know if I'd specially choose a route with one again. 787 action, thankfully I've done much better there. Gatwick-JFK and back, Toronto to Heathrow, Frankfurt to Haneda, Manchester-Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi-Brisbane from memory are my lot on 787s. Quite pleased with that list, a nice bit of variety.

I see we have similar views on seated sleeper journeys, and I am very pleased to hear that you found a way to cope with it. I don't think I'd manage as well!

Some beautiful views in your photos! If I ever find myself on such a train for those views, I absolutely will be booking a proper bed. 54 hours on one train just sounds like too much for me, even with leg stretch stops! The scenery would be fantastic to see though!

Iskra

Established Member
California Zephyr Day 3

I need to crack on and finish this report as I’ve already started my next adventure so a backlog will develop soon! :D

After a rather poor nights sleep, I did the usual routine of getting washed and changed in the accessible toilet and then was in the observation car for sunrise. I was shortly joined by Pete and then others slowly arrived. After a second night in the seats, it’s safe to say we were all shattered. There were many lingering aches and pains, we were all sleep deprived, plus the legacy of several days of too much caffeine and alcohol had taken its toll, and our energy levels were collectively very low. This day really was something of an endurance test. We’d also lost 3 of our group to station calls overnight so now we were down to 4 and it felt a little empty being 3 people down. We’d awoken in Nevada this morning. Americans generally don’t seem too taken by Nevada’s scenery, they find it boring. However, I’ve always found it strangely alluring- possibly because desert is the only type of scenery that the US has that we don’t have here in the UK? I like the colours and the vastness of it all. Also, in terms of railway interest here; the two running lines run quite far apart so you get good views of the epic freight trains running in the opposite direction.

5C6174BC-B841-4F64-8CEB-4EFAF6306D59.jpegADC6BD37-2654-474B-B5C2-EC2A1952A8DF.jpegBE18B963-8AED-489D-9D4D-6D59BC2E88DB.jpeg
After Nevada we were then into California, where Peter got off in a charming little town called Truckee to go on a hiking trip. I could only get a very brief picture here from the train door as due to the late running the Conductor was eager to keep all station stops to a minimum to make up time.

F2DB8ABB-D83F-4434-873A-38DF45115BF6.jpeg

We’d made pretty good progress along the plains of Nevada but now we were back in mountains in California, progress once again became painfully slow- I’m talking UK preserved line speeds, but for hours. At least the scenery was good though!

269AE777-3F7C-475B-AB07-1FEF86CAB3D1.jpegFCD921CA-5E7C-41EE-BDF6-F1F10C85F891.jpeg

Once out of the mountains again, we picked up speed, but also entered a rainstorm. Luckily, it didn’t last long. Frustratingly for all on board, we came to a standstill as we entered the San Francisco bay area as we had to wait for a ship to pass through a transporter bridge ahead of us, which delayed us by another 45 mins as ships aren’t the fastest and neither are bridges. The positive of this delay was that we entered the San Francisco bay area as the sun was setting, which was picturesque and I also saw a seal playing in the bay as we passed.

7769DEE4-B869-4C77-BEB8-2671A845B921.jpeg

Shortly after sunset we arrived into Emeryville and our journey was complete.

0AA42FA4-1B03-4F54-81AB-3AB7FE6D1FA7.jpeg

I was booked on the shuttle bus here, but as Stef was travelling for work she was able to expense an Uber so I shared that with her and our remaining traveller Armando. Some really great views were had as we made the trip into town.

Overall, I enjoyed the trip and the journey it’s definitely the best way to see all of what the US has to offer. However, I wouldn’t rush to do it again in Coach as it was an incredibly tiring way of travelling that took me a couple of days and nights to recover from, and that’s not really how I like to arrive at a destination as it does have an affect on your travel productivity. I probably wouldn’t be saying this if I’d have had a roomette as intended, but then equally I probably wouldn’t have formed the close bond with my fellow travellers that I did if I was in a roomette, so swings and roundabouts really…

Next, I’m just going to do a briefer post on my time in San Francisco and then that will be the report finished, finally :D

Iskra

Established Member
Tales of San Francisco:

On my first day in San Francisco I did a mini-van tour and then sailed out to Alcatraz for a tour there. Both were fantastic. The mini van tour guide helpfully informed me where to get the best night shot of the cityscape, which is below :)

AC4A9561-E682-4577-A6BE-10C512A17C42.jpeg200B9120-4399-4BD8-96A8-59EAD216F038.jpeg938D6C4B-4E15-4E8A-B19D-66B769E2A82A.jpeg7EB0A005-0CF5-4349-803C-D72D5EDFEFC0.jpeg7E36FA9F-82F3-421A-885F-7A3AE675F94A.jpeg

I loved my time in San Francisco.

In terms of public transport, I used the art deco trams a lot and they were cool as they are in 1930’s condition inside and some have 2+1 seating.

6717A040-DDD0-4496-AC20-52069E51E9A6.jpeg23B1215B-3522-4957-BA19-981AAC387B44.jpeg

On my second day, I decided to escape to warmer climbs as San Francisco is quite a cool city (temperature wise). So, I got the bay ferry out to a place called Vallejo where it would be warmer. I walked to Mare Island which has a lot of naval history, but sadly was mostly closed on the day of my visit. I then blagged a free boat ride back across to Vallejo and enjoyed a few beers and some nice food in the sun before heading back to San Francisco. The ferry’s are reasonably priced, have at seat charging points and a licensed cafe service. I would strongly recommend a ride on one, as they are impressive machines, doing around 40mph and they sound like Deltics if you stand on the rear deck. They are also a good wildlife viewing platform, I saw dolphins and lots of different birds.

53A9A9B8-9FE5-41E2-B9B1-287CC66F56DF.jpeg3948CEF8-A72E-4E8F-B8B1-25F99862941D.jpeg

The flight home was via BA A380 which was another item on my bucket list. I had a great flight with excellent service and managed to get on the top deck which I was happy about.

Excuse the questionable photo, there’s some kind of film on the windows at SFO:

C5ADB168-6092-4CBC-A2C1-5678B4934617.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
On the English side, I managed my first trip on Heathrow Express, covering new line on the spur before it meets the GWML. Then I caught a pair of Azuma’s home on a 1st advance. Disappointingly, there is no luggage storage in the 1 class kitchen/saloon carriage, only disabled seating on both sides with a sign telling you not to put luggage there, but then you aren’t supposed to have your luggage out of sight, so it’s a bit of a no win situation. I really can’t understand an IC train carriage having no luggage provision at all. The first class food was good, although the bar service a little reserved, only two Hop on Boards being consumed between London Kings Cross and Wakefield Westgate. It being Friday evening, everyone was on the good stuff and nobody was on tea/coffee but they kept bringing that trolley around anyway. LNER could learn from BA here who were automatically issuing double rations and winning hearts and minds easily.

77473317-2B99-4865-B02D-7B3D6ED42342.jpeg8D514832-E28B-45FB-B36C-49B5952527B1.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
I think you may be right about the A380, it'll be interesting to see what happens. My only flight on one at this time was Sydney-Abu Dhabi, an experience but to be honest I don't know if I'd specially choose a route with one again. 787 action, thankfully I've done much better there. Gatwick-JFK and back, Toronto to Heathrow, Frankfurt to Haneda, Manchester-Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi-Brisbane from memory are my lot on 787s. Quite pleased with that list, a nice bit of variety.

I see we have similar views on seated sleeper journeys, and I am very pleased to hear that you found a way to cope with it. I don't think I'd manage as well!

Some beautiful views in your photos! If I ever find myself on such a train for those views, I absolutely will be booking a proper bed. 54 hours on one train just sounds like too much for me, even with leg stretch stops! The scenery would be fantastic to see though!

Wow, you’ve done well there, some very cool sounding flights.

It was at the limit of my endurance, but I am glad I did it. I always wanted to do the Trans-Siberian (or Manchurian) so this was a bit of a tester and I think I’d now split that journey up if I did it. Obviously, I will be waiting until the political situation with Russia is less hostile anyway for that one.

The scenery, and indeed the variety of it, was absolutely amazing and made the trip worth it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Your mention of too much coffee and alcohol on the Amtrak train, as well as the lack of good sleep, reminds me of both my 2011 and 2012 ALRs! Some experiences there that I'm glad I don't have many good memories of, as those nights were of course back in the days of MK2s for the Caledonian Sleeper seated sleeper coaches. I definitely couldn't put up with that again!

The final day on Amtrak does sound like it was good apart from the deprivation of energy. I am 100% glad I wasn't doing that with you, I'd have not found much to eat that I like, although the coffee I'd have been fine with :lol:

San Francisco looks like a good place to spend a day or two, and I have to say I nearly booked an adventure there last night. I didn't, but I have begun booking the important bits for my next big trip which is just over 2 weeks away :D Full details to come on 31st October! The trams then in San Francisco, are they expensive? It sounds like a good way to get around that's for sure.

The A380 must have been fun on the top deck, I've always wanted to fly on the upper deck of a plane. One day! As for the LNER First Class experience, I'm very curious as to what the seats were like. The service sounds mixed, although I have to confess I'd have been happy seeing the soft/hot drinks trolley going by more often than the alcoholic drinks :lol: Did you do Heathrow Express in First Class too?

Wherever you've gone on your next adventure, I hope it's going well so far!

Iskra

Established Member
Your mention of too much coffee and alcohol on the Amtrak train, as well as the lack of good sleep, reminds me of both my 2011 and 2012 ALRs! Some experiences there that I'm glad I don't have many good memories of, as those nights were of course back in the days of MK2s for the Caledonian Sleeper seated sleeper coaches. I definitely couldn't put up with that again!

The final day on Amtrak does sound like it was good apart from the deprivation of energy. I am 100% glad I wasn't doing that with you, I'd have not found much to eat that I like, although the coffee I'd have been fine with :lol:

San Francisco looks like a good place to spend a day or two, and I have to say I nearly booked an adventure there last night. I didn't, but I have begun booking the important bits for my next big trip which is just over 2 weeks away :D Full details to come on 31st October! The trams then in San Francisco, are they expensive? It sounds like a good way to get around that's for sure.

The A380 must have been fun on the top deck, I've always wanted to fly on the upper deck of a plane. One day! As for the LNER First Class experience, I'm very curious as to what the seats were like. The service sounds mixed, although I have to confess I'd have been happy seeing the soft/hot drinks trolley going by more often than the alcoholic drinks :lol: Did you do Heathrow Express in First Class too?

Wherever you've gone on your next adventure, I hope it's going well so far!
The Mk2’s however bad, are probably way better than the Mk5 seats.

The trams are not badly priced at all, but beware they don’t give change. I think it’s a couple of dollars for 2 hours unlimited riding, so I did the full network and back on one trip. The attitude to fare collection is extremely liberal, and basically you can board at the back door and travel for free if you have the audacity and confidence and most locals were doing that.

Yeah I’ve always wanted to top deck too and it was a great experience- if you get a window seat you end up with a lot more personal space due to the curvature of the air frame, and BA fit a personal locker/shelf into that space. Due to the size of the aircraft it does feel a bit weird getting airborne as you hardly feel like you’re moving when somehow the thing manages to lift off.

The first class seats are mediocre. Tolerable for a couple of hours, but I certainly won’t be doing the Highland Chieftain on one. I actually booked that train as it was due to be a class 91 and Mk4 set originally, and if travelling to West Yorkshire I would absolutely recommend travelling on a class 91 set wherever possible for the additional comfort. No, I was in standard on Heathrow Express, standard is comfortable enough and it’s only a short journey so I didn’t see any value in upgrading.

The current situation is: glorious sunshine and a free bar for a week, so I’m in my element :D

0E755755-B2E0-4BEE-A17D-5DB105ED8622.jpeg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair enough with Heathrow Express, I tried First Class on it and while it's nice it's not really worth the extra money. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that about the Azuma First Class, although I find IET seats over here on the Western to be fine so we will see. I don't know if I'd want to do the Highland Chieftain in one go myself, I did it years ago on an HST in GNER days but now? I'd be more likely to break the journey somewhere and have a good leg stretch before continuing.

Have an amazing adventure, wherever you are!