• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight Fares Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumble

As a theoretical question Does anyone know how to actually buy an Anytime Day Return day return London Terminals to Shanklin via the Hovercraft ?
BR Fares shows this as

ANYTIME DAY R SDR Route ANY PERM+HOVRTVL Validity
ON DATE SHOWN Adult £64.60

However I went to Liverpool street today to check as the journey planners are a mess and the Greater Anglia Journey planner denies that such a fare exists and will only offer the Whitelink version at £69.70
So much selling you the cheapest fare

Do we think that Waterloo may be better informed ?

Pragmatically I will buy a ticket to Ryde Hoverport XRD at £59.80 and then a return on the Island line at £4.80

In the old days you would just go and buy at the station
Nowadays it needs a journey planner that does not work to sell you a ticket
Progress or what

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hardcastle

As a theoritacal question Does anyone know how to actually buy an Anytime Day Return day return London Terminals to Shanklin via the Hovercraft ?
BR Fares shows this as
ANYTIME DAY R SDR Route ANY PERM+HOVRTVL Validity
ON DATE SHOWN Adult £64.60

However I went to Liverpool street today and the Greater Anglia Journey planner denies that such a fare exists and will only offer the Whitelink version at £69.70
So much selling you the cheapest fare

Do we think that Waterloo may be better informed ?

Pragmatically I will buy a ticket to Ryde Hoverport at £59.80 and then a return on the Island line at £4.80

In the old days you would just go and buy at the station
Nowadays it needs a journey planner that does not work to sell you a ticket
Progress or what
I can find fares from London Waterloo using the hovercraft on the Avanti app with some cheaper than what you quote.

jumble

I can find fares from London Waterloo using the hovercraft on the Avanti app with some cheaper than what you quote.

Well the ticket office at Liverpool St were unable to produce this fare.
Avanti website does but the price is the same as BR Fares

Haywain

Veteran Member
No idea why Liverpool Street can’t sell it but should be easy to buy at Kings Cross (I can see the ticket* on the TIS). If you want it with an itinerary, try via Petersfield and avoiding Portsmouth Harbour - that may work online.

*SDR fare at £64.60

bubieyehyeh

If you want to do a return day trip on the hovercraft, I found it was cheaper to buy a rail ticket from fratton with my gold card discount.

jumble

No idea why Liverpool Street can’t sell it but should be easy to buy at Kings Cross (I can see the ticket* on the TIS). If you want it with an itinerary, try via Petersfield and avoiding Portsmouth Harbour - that may work online.

*SDR fare at £64.60

Many Thanks
I just went to WAT and bought the ticket you suggested

Haywain

Veteran Member
Many Thanks
I just went to WAT and bought the ticket you suggested
Same TIS as Kings Cross, I believe, so equally easy to find the ticket. Plus, they probably have rather more experience of tickets to the Isle of Wight.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Same TIS as Kings Cross, I believe, so equally easy to find the ticket. Plus, they probably have rather more experience of tickets to the Isle of Wight.
Isn’t it often thought here that tickets from “London Terminals” on the “wrong side of London” shouldn’t be offered? (Unless it’s emphasised at point of sale that they don’t include the cross London leg. So a ticket office should be able to do that, but not necessarily a TVM.)

Haywain

Veteran Member
Isn’t it often thought here that tickets from “London Terminals” on the “wrong side of London” shouldn’t be offered? (Unless it’s emphasised at point of sale that they don’t include the cross London leg. So a ticket office should be able to do that, but not necessarily a TVM.)
Some TVMs can issue tickets incorrectly from the wrong side of London and some can do it properly but the ticket the OP requires would probably not be offered by those that can do it properly due to the need for via/avoid points. I assumed that the OP has purchased from the ticket office at Waterloo.

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
Isle of White? I take it that that's at the opposite end of the country to the Black Isle?

I believe Richard Tice and his partner Isabel Oakeshott live on the Isle of White?

Anyhow, that's definitely not on-topic!

paul1609

Established Member
There may be complications in that at the moment hovertravel are accepting wightlink tickets including through rail tickets routed via wightlink.
The fastcat service Portsmouth Harbour Ryde Pier Headis running a very limited service withmost passengers diverted via the hovercraft or car ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.