• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Wight steam railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1975

As Chris125 implies, the IWSR has invested heavily in its genuine Island heritage locos. Both terriers have new boilers and the O2 has had its boiler recently heavily rebuilt to almost new standard. Equally, like many other heritage railways, it has been necessary to draft in other locomotives (the active ones are of military origin rather than industrial) to augment the heritage fleet to cope with the traffic - you can even see that in North Wales where the heritage fleets on the Tal-y-llyn and Ffestiniog railways have been supplemented by many additional locomotives.

There are just not enough Island relevant locos around to allow the luxury of only using them - nevertheless the Island locos are regularly used and not just brought out on special occasions.

On the carriage side the railway has been more fortunate. All 11 of the running carriages are of Island origin, 6 of them having been resurrected after periods as grounded bodies. There are no mark 1s - indeed the newest carriage was built in 1924. Many more authentic carriages are awaiting restoration, and several suitable underframes have been obtained and stored.

Even the majority of the engineers' and heritage wagons are of Island origin with only a few having been brought in for specific reasons.

I hope that 4SRKT will enjoy his visit next year, like others I suggest that he calls the railway in advance to see what is running.

PS - I much prefer the authentic locos too!

Nick

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.