• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isn't it time something was done with CrossCountry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
i know i was on a 221 from wolverhampton to manchester on sunday and when the train came in it was rammed full and when i got onto it there was nowhere to sit so i had to sit on the floor, not a comfy experience for 1h 30m personaly i think that virgin should give some of there voyagers to xc.

Virgin would need trains to replace the Voyagers they would give away. Before the enormous DfT franchising kerfuffle, there were plans to introduce some amount of new mini-Pendolinos that would then free up units for CrossCountry. In the short term it might be possible to get some of the HSTs displaced from the Great Western and East Coast on South West to North East/Scotland services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a good off

We did well with this weekly occurance of XC must have HSTs, it took 14 posts.

As someone who rarely posts here, I'm happy to oblige. And I stand by my statement having to deal with both XC and FGW overcrowding and subsequent lateness on a daily basis.

dannypye9999

Secondly, neither Virgin nor TPE (especially TPE) have the rolling stock, let alone crews to provide these services.

)

What are TPE doing they have a few DMU trains spare now they've got EMUs on the Airport to Glasgow.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Virgin would need trains to replace the Voyagers they would give away. Before the enormous DfT franchising kerfuffle, there were plans to introduce some amount of new mini-Pendolinos that would then free up units for CrossCountry.

Not quite. First West Coast proposed using Voyagers alongside a small order of new electric trains. Virgin proposed getting a larger order of electric trains and some diesel-electric locos. First proposed having more carriages in the West Coast franchise than Virgin so the WC franchise would have been better off but Virgin proposed releasing the XC Voyagers which would have left them available for another operator.

Now had the Virgin bid won and proceeded that could have meant some of the problems with a DMU shortage could have been avoided e.g. Chiltern and Govia Thameslink could both have taken some XC 170s and XC would have extra Voyagers to replace them.

However, in the not too distant future it should hopefully be possible to add some electric trains to the XC franchise. Once Southampton gets OHEs you could have a half-hourly electric Manchester-Southampton service and then divert the North East services to plug the gap to Bristol and beyond. Southampton-Portsmouth would need additional trains which SWT could maybe provide?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What are TPE doing they have a few DMU trains spare now they've got EMUs on the Airport to Glasgow.

They were to get 40 extra carriages for additional capacity (under the CP4 HLOS) and the released units have allowed an additional hourly service to be introduced between Liverpool and York via Victoria. There were plans to use the 170/3s in the TPE franchise until December 2018 so any units which go to Chiltern will need replacing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Where, precisely, do you think these spare DMUs are? Because as far as I can tell they're all being used either to strengthen services or to provide a Liverpool - Newcastle service. Further even if there were spare trains for those extra services where are the extra train crew?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Southampton-Portsmouth would need additional trains which SWT could maybe provide?

XC don't serve that route. Portsmouth area stations are served by Southern, SWT and FGW.

If Manchester - Southampton is completely wired, you can simply extend the Newcastle - Readings to Bournemouth and terminate the electrics from Manchester at Reading. For Southampton to have two trains an hour, just run the two electrics an hour to Reading and Soton alternately. Soton can then be served by one of the electrics and the hourly Bournemouths, or simply run both electrics to Soton unit availability permitting, and give them three trains an hour.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
When travelling on CrossCountry, you often climb aboard a cramped class 220 or 221 which smells, is unclean and extremely busy. Instead of wasting money on things such as HS2, why aren't the DFT awarding more trains or coaches to CrossCountry to relieve such busy routes? On a service from Southampton to Manchester, passing many large cities there are only four carriages, one being first class! They're extremely unreliable, unclean, smelly, overcrowded and expensive. When will the improvements come?

Who pays? The Government of course! They seem to be able to just say 'Yep we'll spend Billions of pounds on some rail link that only benefits the wealthy!'

And, yes the voyagers are reliable yet that doesn't stop the operator from being extremely unreliable

Then perhaps they should start electrifying lines rather than building new ones.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or get rid of the first class coach!

Do you understand the difference between capital expenditure and current expenditure?
New lines and upgrades are long-term capital spend, and comes in 5-year chunks (HS2 is on top of that, being even longer term).
You may have heard about Network Rail's £30bn debt, which is what it all adds up to today.
Spend on franchises, on the other hand, comes out of current expenditure, ie this year's DfT budget.
The recession means there is no spare current expenditure, but there is a desire to invest long-term capital as a way of digging ourselves out of the recession.
So the TOCs are being squeezed at every point on current expenditure.
The XC franchise has been in the past a poor performer (on revenue and subsidy), though it seems to be past that now though still not a star.

To go back to your question, Arriva's XC contract runs till 2016 and they will get a direct award until 2019 on the current schedule.
Who knows what DfT will decide, but there are no plans for more stock or any major change to the XC service.
Electrification of XC routes is currently pie in the sky until the 2020s.
Manchester-Bournemouth is currently a figment of imagination - the plans don't add up.

And for every overcrowded XC train in the core there is one running around half-empty at the extremities of the network.
It is a very difficult franchise in which to manage the balance of capacity around the network.
Cutting it back to Newcastle and Plymouth might help (with EC/GW filling in).
I don't see how they could have less than one Voyager coach as first class.
There is no source of extra coaches.
HSTs are unlikely to be used even if they were available (too expensive, too big, too old).

Mugby

Established Member
I noticed on Saturday last that the operator is still cancelling services because of the dispute.

The 15.15 from Derby (ex Southampton) to Newcastle was cancelled, but the 14.44 to Glasgow was late and didn't depart until 15.10.

Problem solved by getting two loads onto one Voyager, simples!

Drsatan

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that in 2003, Virgin proposed ordering extra trailer coaches to cope with demand, but the SRA refused to authorise that request? I'm fairly certain I recall reading that in RAIL circa 2004.

Of course, if the SRA had authorised the Virgin Challenger project, then there would have been no need to cut back destinations to concentrate stock on the core network.

6Gman

Established Member
i know i was on a 221 from wolverhampton to manchester on sunday and when the train came in it was rammed full and when i got onto it there was nowhere to sit so i had to sit on the floor, not a comfy experience for 1h 30m personaly i think that virgin should give some of there voyagers to xc.

And then people travelling from Chester to London could stand instead!

Simples!

:D

Dave1987

On Moderation
Who pays? The Government of course! They seem to be able to just say 'Yep we'll spend Billions of pounds on some rail link that only benefits the wealthy!'

Sorry but if you have seen the ticket price from London to Birmingham already could you let us know because I'm sure we would all like to know what it will be considering it hasn't even started to be built yet......:roll:

dannypye9999

Where, precisely, do you think these spare DMUs are? Because as far as I can tell they're all being used either to strengthen services or to provide a Liverpool - Newcastle service. Further even if there were spare trains for those extra services where are the extra train crew?

Is it really that hard to FIND crew.

hassaanhc

Established Member

There are many rumours that some TOCs keep staff numbers slightly lower than they should be, and use rest day working to cover. If new crew needed to be recruited it takes several months to get them fully trained up (particularly if they are completely new to the railway). And in any case, it isn't as easy as calling someone with little notice due to regulations regarding breaks between shifts, and also alcohol etc.

(Probably simplified it as I'm not employed in the railway and not fully familiar with all the regulations and internal workings, in which case feel free to correct :oops:).

Manchester77

Established Member

Yes since you can't just the any old person off the street and get them to drive a train, Northern's MD said in his recent radio interview it takes 66 weeks to train staff so why do you think crewing is an issue?

The Ham

Established Member
And for every overcrowded XC train in the core there is one running around half-empty at the extremities of the network.
It is a very difficult franchise in which to manage the balance of capacity around the network.
Cutting it back to Newcastle and Plymouth might help (with EC/GW filling in).

Hence why once the units currently being used for Manchester to the south coast are replaced by EMU's that XC will see a big improvement over the current situation. As I pointed out earlier.

To improve capacity on the core by running a pair of 220's rather than a 221, would probably not need that many extra units. However the impact on cutting XC services from the outer edges would significantly increasing passenger numbers von other trains. As even just 50 people (1/4 of the capacity of a 220) would take up about 10% of the capacity of a HST, which is fine if it is half full or less, but once it's over 70% full would start to make it feel very full.

dievoyagerdie

I'm a frequent user of them on the Bristol to Newcastle run and do this at least once a week. Despite my name I've actually warmed to the voyager somewhat. However today's southbound train had two out of service toilets, one of which was completely flooded. Also a bike stowed in coach D on a hook was banging continually for Birmingham to a Bristol part so I had to move. Overall it can get busy, but if the seating reservation system wasn't so vague I'm sure it would mean more people get to sit. I find it extremely reliable. In almost a year I've not had a single cancellation and the worst problem was a 49 minute delay caused by someone on the tracks. The staff are friendly and the onboard catering good. I think given the length and diversity of the route the serve, they do a very good job.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
When I were a lad - and working for the then OPRAF - I was amazed to find that XC basically lost money. Fast forward to the 22x revolution - still lost money (despite substantial service changes , new trains and so on.

The base problem is that it is a "national" service - with low high income traffic , lots of small flows and a service which is very busy in the core - but quiet at the extremities. Any worthwhile suggestions as to how to square the circle , no doubt welcome.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
XC don't serve that route. Portsmouth area stations are served by Southern, SWT and FGW.

If Manchester - Southampton is completely wired, you can simply extend the Newcastle - Readings to Bournemouth and terminate the electrics from Manchester at Reading. For Southampton to have two trains an hour, just run the two electrics an hour to Reading and Soton alternately. Soton can then be served by one of the electrics and the hourly Bournemouths, or simply run both electrics to Soton unit availability permitting, and give them three trains an hour.

Could Pendolinos be converted to dual voltage (for the Southampton-Bournemouth/Poole section) or would that be impossible (either physically or not financially viable)?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
You might get those 'Virgin Challenger' units once IEP arrives.
But I think that would cost too much....

Domh245

Established Member
I suppose that it wouldn't be completely impossible to develop a bogie with shoegear attached to it (and the tilt gubbins) but it would depend if the pendolinos transform and rectiy the 25KV before sending it down the train. If they do, then it would be feasible to add an inverter, smaller transformer, and another rectifier before plugging it into the bus line, if they don't then it'll involve a lot more re-wiring. I suspect that really though, it would be a lot of faff, and rather impractical, as you would have to new-build anyway in which case you could use an alternative design (with bigger windows maybe)

Helvellyn

Established Member
Hence why once the units currently being used for Manchester to the south coast are replaced by EMU's that XC will see a big improvement over the current situation. As I pointed out earlier.

To improve capacity on the core by running a pair of 220's rather than a 221, would probably not need that many extra units. However the impact on cutting XC services from the outer edges would significantly increasing passenger numbers von other trains. As even just 50 people (1/4 of the capacity of a 220) would take up about 10% of the capacity of a HST, which is fine if it is half full or less, but once it's over 70% full would start to make it feel very full.
Exactly. Four car units opearting the NE/SW services and strengthened with an additional unit between say Bristol - Leeds/York would make sense. Heck, that strengthening unit could even operate Weston-Super-Mare to Scarborough on Summer weekends.
Most Manchester-Bournemouth units could also ditch a 4-car at Reading if they ran as an 8-car between Manchester and Reading.

The Ham

Established Member
Most Manchester-Bournemouth units could also ditch a 4-car at Reading if they ran as an 8-car between Manchester and Reading.

Given a 7 coach train would have the same capcity as two 220's sets joined together and by having it as one big train you save on costs (at the very least 1 less coach in track access charges, lease costs and mainternace cost, as well as possibly staff costs due to being able to get between the two sets) it would make sence to have the longer train all the way along the route.

On top of that the XC services south of Reading can be fairly busy, meaning that the train is unlikely to be running empty.

I also think that it would be foolish to repeat the error of XC by buying a lot of short IC trains again. As it is likely that even if the longer trains are poorly used for the first years of their lives, as more of the XC network is electrified they would be able to be moved on to other routes which would benefit from longer sets then with a mix of units varrying from 4 to 11 coaches per set with an average set length of 7 (compared with the current average of just over 4 coaches per set).

tbtc

Veteran Member
They're extremely unreliable, unclean, smelly, overcrowded and expensive

Unreliable?

You've either had terrible luck, or you are just spouting...

Since you don't seem to have the faintest clue what HS2 is about I would just point out that the effect of Phase 2 upon the CrossCountry network will be enormous. There will be two 550m high speed trains an hour from Birmingham to Leeds and to Manchester and one to Newcastle, serving the East Midlands at Toton and Sheffield Meadowhall. Most of the passenger demand on the XC network is between Birmingham and the North East so this will massively increase capacity, reduce journey times and enhance reliability. In future it is by no means implausible that there will be a high speed line between Bristol and Birmingham, on top of the completion of HS2 towards Scotland and Newcastle, so the only way is up for the CrossCountry network as a result of HS2.

^^ This ^^

"Cross Country" will be very different come HS2, I think that people are too fixated on the "businessmen saving thirty seconds to get from London to Birmingham" nonsense and forgetting that many non-London journeys are going to benefit too.

We did well with this weekly occurance of XC must have HSTs, it took 14 posts.

:lol:

I don't think we've had a "Vomitter" comment yet - are people growing up or falling in love with the 220/221s?

FGW have 58 HST sets at the moment and most if not all of them are over 30 years old. The power cars were recently re-engined so they're not too much of a concern, but the Mk3 coaches would need to be DDA compliant by 2020

True.

We need to forget about HSTs being the long term answer to anything

HS2 will not reduce journey times for the residents of sheffield and Derby. After changing train at Meadowhall and Trent Junction the end to end timing will actually be longer than at present. HS2 will also create more traffic congestion in the East Mids and South Yorkshire unless massive road expansion programs are started and timed to be ready by the launch of HS2.
There is clearly taxpayers money available to fund HS2, in view of the incipient effects of building it, I suggest that the money would be better spent improving what we already have, reopening closed lines and purchasing new rolling stock. HS2 will be built at the expense of an already decaying rail network with the highest fares in Europe.

You're assuming that people's entire journey is Sheffield station to Derby station though.

And assuming that HS2 is intended to solve every single problem - it won't be the fastest way to get between every two stations in the UK, but it may still improve such journeys (e.g. if a significant number of passengers from the Sheffield City Region to Birmingham/ London are going to use HS2 then that frees up thousands of seats from Sheffield to Derby on conventional services - which may mean that they are free to stop at Dronfield/ Clay Cross/ Belper etc).

I thought this was going to be about Arriva CrossCountry's many flaws rather than something inherent to the CrossCountry franchise itself. :(

Arriva seem to be coming out of this thread fairly well - given that the "mistakes" were all made before they took over that seems reasonable. Arriva seem to have made a reasonable fist of it to be fair (which is a concept that people find hard to apply to XC!)

A stopping service from Edinburgh-Newcastle has been talked about as part of the upcoming re-franchising of Scotrail

It always seems to have a bad business case, when considered.

Worth remembering that you can flight an XC service to do a couple of stops (perm two from Dunbar, Berwick & Alnmouth) between faster EC services between Edinburgh and Newcastle...

...but you may struggle to fit a 100mph EMU with at least half a dozen stops (such as Mussleburgh, Wallyford, Prestonpans, Dunbar, Berwick, Alnmouth, Morpeth, Cramlington) on a two track railway...

...if it's going to get overtaken en-route then that restricts it's revenue to only shorter distance passengers

Leaving aside the silly jibe at HS2 the CBA of more stock for XC doesn't stack up well at all. Things will get better if the electric spine goes through as Manchester-South Coast can go to dual voltage 110mph electrics.

True.

I think that the "solution" would be to turn XC into a "Derby/Leicester - Gloucester" franchise and put a half hourly Manchester - Reading/ Bournemouth service into the WCML franchise (i.e. no more "X")...

...this would allow the Manchester - South Coast service to go wholly EMU (and free up DEMUs for the York - Bristol corridor).

You'd lose some links (like Manchester to Bristol, Sheffield to Reading), but some of these could be provided by other franchises (Manchester - Bristol via the Marches, Sheffield - Reading via Marston Vale).

Although this is only one route it would free up 10 sets to be used elsewhere. Assuming that they are all 220's (or any 221's would be swapped with 220's so that they are) that would mean that two 220's could run together to replace a 221 (increasing the number of seats from 250 to 400), the 221 can then replace another 220 (an increase from 200 to 250 seats).

Then repeat until you have used up all the 220's (including those which are being replaced by 221's) and that's at least 20 services would see an increase in seating available and more if there were a few 221's in the mix to start with.

Then of course there maybe services which are busy through the core, but not so much towards the outer edges, meaning that the second of each pair of 220's could be more intensively used by joining and splitting it so it only runs through the core

It wouldn't take a *huge* number to double up the units from York - Bristol - depending how many Voyagers are freed up by Virgin...

It is a very difficult franchise in which to manage the balance of capacity around the network

True.

I don't know how we solve the problem (short of replacing all services by coupled up 153s so that an eight coach 153 at New Street sheds coaches every half hour and becomes a single unit by Penzance :lol: )

I'm a frequent user of them on the Bristol to Newcastle run and do this at least once a week. Despite my name I've actually warmed to the voyager somewhat

...surely it's just German for "The Voyager, The"? :lol:

When I were a lad - and working for the then OPRAF - I was amazed to find that XC basically lost money. Fast forward to the 22x revolution - still lost money (despite substantial service changes , new trains and so on.

The base problem is that it is a "national" service - with low high income traffic , lots of small flows and a service which is very busy in the core - but quiet at the extremities. Any worthwhile suggestions as to how to square the circle , no doubt welcome.

The most interesting post on this thread.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Anecdote is the worst form of evidence in an argument. But what the hell.

I had cause to use Cross Country for the first time in years last month. Given the comments on this forum, and it being a Friday late afternoon in school holidays travelling between Bristol and Birmingham, I was expecting a squeeze. Even more so when my chosen train was delayed 30 mins and thus running in the path of the next one, ie two trains worth of punters.

Imagine my disappointment at getting a seat, a working toilet, wifi, a comfortable journey with refreshment on board, and a friendly, chatty conductor.

It's just not fair as I wanted to moan with everyone else.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Anecdote is the worst form of evidence in an argument. But what the hell.

I had cause to use Cross Country for the first time in years last month. Given the comments on this forum, and it being a Friday late afternoon in school holidays travelling between Bristol and Birmingham, I was expecting a squeeze. Even more so when my chosen train was delayed 30 mins and thus running in the path of the next one, ie two trains worth of punters.

Imagine my disappointment at getting a seat, a working toilet, wifi, a comfortable journey with refreshment on board, and a friendly, chatty conductor.

It's just not fair as I wanted to moan with everyone else.

Love it!!

Parallel

Established Member
I personally don't mind the voyager. I don't need to use them very often (other than Bristol - Birmingham occasionally) but the ones I have used have smelt fine and I think they're quite good at what they do. My main moan is the seats aren't great for long distances.

Some of FGW's and XCs HSTs remaining after electrification projects will need to be updated to meet the new disability requirements, especially the former which are expected to be in service for another 10-20 years between Paddington and Plymouth/Penzance.

HowardGWR

Established Member
@TBTC
"You'd lose some links (like Manchester to Bristol, Sheffield to Reading), but some of these could be provided by other franchises (Manchester - Bristol via the Marches, Sheffield - Reading via Marston Vale)."

I suspect the Core Cities have something better than that in mind for (e.g.) Bristol to Manchester unless you are suggesting upgrading the Marches line to 140mph!

Last edited:

Rapidash

Down here in the 'Extremities' (Hah!) the main issue with XC is, as pretty much everywhere else - short formed services and the smelly vestibules in the Voyagers. Other than that, they are a smooth ride compared to the rest of the stuff used down here.

They could do with some extra leg room as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.