• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues North of Newcastle - Plessey Viaduct - 09/10 (onwards)

GuyGibsonVC

During the weekend blockade, a track renewal over Plessey Viaduct uncovered structural defects on said viaduct.

It looks like they can’t put the Up Main back in and, as such, the service is up the spout tomorrow and possibly all week, especially at Morpeth. Only two Northern and CrossCountry trains to call all day, no TPE and limited LNER.

Looks like they are going to run SIMBIDS and there will be an ESR on the Down Main.

I’m travelling to Doncaster tomorrow and looks like I will have to revisit my plans!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I believe LNER are allowed 2 services each hour in each direction, but with southbound services not calling at Morpeth.

So for them, northbound no alterations, southbound all missed Morpeth calls.

Last edited:

Established Member
During the weekend blockade, a track renewal over Plessey Viaduct uncovered structural defects on said viaduct.

It looks like they can’t put the Up Main back in and, as such, the service is up the spout tomorrow and possibly all week, especially at Morpeth. Only two Northern and CrossCountry trains to call all day, no TPE and limited LNER.

Looks like they are going to run SIMBIDS and there will be an ESR on the Down Main.

I’m travelling to Doncaster tomorrow and looks like I will have to revisit my plans!
Rail Replacement has been confirmed by Stagecoach to run between Alnmouth and Newcastle via Morpeth on affected services.

Up services will fail to call at Morpeth with exception of the one Northern Chathill service. (All other northern and TPE withdrawn there service north of Newcastle)

LNER and XC will still call on the down.

Estimated to be tomorrow and Tuesday. (Usual disclaimers apply).

Darandio

Established Member
My mind might be playing tricks but wasn't the viaduct braced/strengthened some years ago due to structural issues?

AndrewE

Established Member

SIMBIDS?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Out of curiosity why can't they call southbound at Morpeth but can northbound?

Simplified Bi-Directional Signalling: signalling provided to allow trains to run in the “wrong” direction during engineering work, line blockages, etc. without resorting to pilotmen

Bi-di but somewhat cheaper and less fully featured (typically much longer sections and a lower line speed in the wrong direction compared to the normal direction).

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member

Bi-di but somewhat cheaper and less fully featured (typically much longer sections and a lower line speed in the wrong direction compared to the normal direction).
Thanks, sounds like a cheap fix if it strips even more capacity out!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity why can't they call southbound at Morpeth but can northbound?
I’m not sure, but it looks as if the nearest place for a southbound service to cross from up to down line is the facing crossover within the Morpeth Station platform length, so maybe it’s not possible for a full length train to stop within the short part of the platform available?

DanNCL

Established Member
There’s talk elsewhere of this going on for up to 18 months?!

I’ve seen a photo but unfortunately can’t share it. It looks bad…

Established Member
There’s talk elsewhere of this going on for up to 18 months?!

I’ve seen a photo but unfortunately can’t share it. It looks bad…
Yes there is a photo doing the rounds where the person has said ‘it will take 12-18 months to plan and replace’.

Napier

Fantastic serves them right for the poor structures exams they do, the extremely poor maintenance and the fact NR just simply take the money and run!!!

People will learn that NR are not all they profess to be!

DanNCL

Established Member
Yes there is a photo doing the rounds where the person has said ‘it will take 12-18 months to plan and replace’.
I saw the photo and remarks in different places, assumed (wrongly it seems) that they were unrelated.

DelW

Established Member
My mind might be playing tricks but wasn't the viaduct braced/strengthened some years ago due to structural issues?
If I've got the right location, the two photos of the viaduct on Google maps show what look like longitudinal ties linking steel collars around the tops of the piers.

Screenshot from Google maps:
Screenshot_20231008-202521_Maps.jpg
(picture of viaduct)

duffield

Established Member
I see the Northumblerland line bypasses the affected viaduct. *If* the viaduct had to be fully closed for an extended period, could this line be used as a diversion? Given part of it is being upgraded for passenger use it's not clear to me if that work would currently prevent its use (e.g. bits of it currently out of use for the works) or facilitate it. I realise of course that these things are never simple; there's the part of the line that's not part of the passenger upgrade and may be unsuitable for passenger traffic, there are single line sections at both ends and there's a question of clearing rolling stock and drivers, so it may be pretty much impossible to achieve in the relevant timescale. Are there any opinions on this? If it's at all feasible it would surely be preferable to (say) a year of replacement buses only.

Napier

I see the Northumblerland line bypasses the affected viaduct. *If* the viaduct had to be fully closed for an extended period, could this line be used as a diversion? Given part of it is being upgraded for passenger use it's not clear to me if that work would currently prevent its use (e.g. bits of it currently out of use for the works) or facilitate it. I realise of course that these things are never simple; there's the part of the line that's not part of the passenger upgrade and may be unsuitable for passenger traffic, there are single line sections at both ends and there's a question of clearing rolling stock and drivers, so it may be pretty much impossible to achieve in the relevant timescale. Are there any opinions on this? If it's at all feasible it would surely be preferable to (say) a year of replacement buses only.
No the B&T is a complete **** show it has not been suitable for any sort of passenger traffic for 20 years I know of. The track quality just doesn’t stack up for passengers it struggled for the minimal freight traffic it had!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No the B&T is a complete **** show it has not been suitable for any sort of passenger traffic for 20 years I know of. The track quality just doesn’t stack up for passengers it struggled for the minimal freight traffic it had!
They’ve run demonstration passenger services from Benton Junction over the diversion route round to Morpeth via Bedlington within the last few months. I think you’re possibly exaggerating. Didn’t LNER do fairly regular route retention moves until a couple of years ago?

this was posted in the local Morpeth Facebook group. Not looking good…

Attachments

• ab988969-38c8-4cc1-90a8-f152011803aa.jpeg
    ab988969-38c8-4cc1-90a8-f152011803aa.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,052

Napier

They’ve run demonstration passenger services from Benton Junction over the diversion route round to Morpeth via Bedlington within the last few months. I think you’re possibly exaggerating. Didn’t LNER do fairly regular route retention moves until a couple of years ago?
The track quality is pure ****e!!
If you wanted to put something on the deck run it up the B&T.

Established Member
this was posted in the local Morpeth Facebook group. Not looking good…
My question would be, which piece of equipment knocked the viaduct? Surely a viaduct on a mainline does not just crumble like that?
Or is it just coincidence that while the track was lifted it fell away?

12LDA28C

Established Member

This will certainly go on much longer then 'all week'. One side of the viaduct has collapsed, the Up line has been lifted and cannot currently be replaced.

MadCommuter

I believe LNER are allowed 2 services each hour in each direction, but with southbound services not calling at Morpeth.

So for them, northbound no alterations, southbound all missed Morpeth calls.
If the reported 5mph ESR is correct, that will probably cause cancellations too?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Why is there a plant growing out the side of the viaduct?

I think that is the least of everyone's worries right now. Plants grow out of the side of many viaducts but it doesn't usually lead to the whole thing collapsing.

If the reported 5mph ESR is correct, that will probably cause cancellations too?

Why? Only a brief delay which could potentially be caught up with a bit of recovery time.

MadCommuter

I think that is the least of everyone's worries right now. Plants grow out of the side of many viaducts but it doesn't usually lead to the whole thing collapsing.
The roots could have caused the structure to weaken and led to the collapse. It's a reasonable size.

D6130

Established Member
Until I saw that photo from the Morpeth FB page I was wondering whether the problems had been caused by mining subsidence over the years. Looks more like vegetation subsidence to my untrained non-engineer's mind.

Killingworth

Established Member
Looking at that picture there must be very serious concerns about running any trains across the viaduct as more may be unstable, but first impressions from one picture can be deceptive.

I have walked below it and can appreciate there are dangers to walkers too. Thankfully it seems debris didn't hit anyone.

If it is as bad as some suggest, especially if 18 months is needed for a repair, making use of the South East Northumberland line in one direction might be realistic. Any weaknesses there may be easier to fix.