• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Italian Rail Tickets

MadMarsupial

I've got a day's work In Parma in June. I'm flying into Milan Malpensa ( probably ) from Manchester on a Wednesday and then getting trains to Parma which seem frequent and fairly quick. I return home ( Manchester Airport ) on the Friday. Can I buy a "flexible" ticket with which I can use any train, without booking, in both directions? On expenses so cost isn't an issue - they will even pay first class which doesn't seem worth it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
Note that they maintain a very strict and expensive difference between local=regional and hi-speed/´intercity´ or the like treni. This also applies to ticketing and what they allow-or not. Well possible that here its also that TreNord again that organises (part of) it. Hi-speed is mostly with REServ and thus train-specific. Local tickets are often (but not sure for this link) with need to validate=time stamp and then valid for a quite short specific time-frame from that stamp.
From MXP there is the usual (in south-EUR-often UK too) airport surcharge. Also look what stazione in Milano to use-there may be the need to use metro between the 2.

nwales58

If you use a Freccia or Intercity you need a reservation for a specific train.

For TI / TTPER regional trains your ticket is valid for around 4 hours from the train it was bought for (see recent thread), I don't know the Trenord rules but one leg would be TTPER. Beware the 'check in' message if it applies.

Easiest is to book each single ticket when you are there, either at a station or the Trenitalia app.

Especially coming back, the Frecce from Parma often have come from Bari or Pescara. Last May I used one which was late at Parma and reached Milano C 50' late on my 50' journey. So I'd buy on the spot on the day after checking real time running but with loads of time for fallback before the flight.

If using regionals, only trenitalia.it will show you the Parma-Milano RVs because they are operated by TTPER. Not DB nor any international planner shows them because TTPER times still don't seem to be fed to the wider world.

rvdborgt

If using regionals, only trenitalia.it will show you the Parma-Milano RVs because they are operated by TTPER. Not DB nor any international planner shows them because TTPER times still don't seem to be fed to the wider world.
Yes, it seems TTPER don't share with the rest of the world. A bit like the early days of TreNord, although TreNord started feeding MERITS after a few years.

nwales58

Also look what stazione in Milano to use-there may be the need to use metro between the 2.
From MXP the xx07 and xx37 are to Centrale (via Porta Garibaldi).
For the others, on trenitalia look at the itinerary, it may show a walk or 'Mezzo Urbano' for the metro from Cadorna for which you would have to pay separately.

Yes, it seems TTPER don't share with the rest of the world. A bit like the early days of TreNord, although TreNord started feeding MERITS after a few years.
giving the rest of the world hilarious itineraries for places in Emilia-Romagna, such as Bologna-Ravenna only a couple of times a day via Rimini. In this case, the world sees no non-Freccia/IC anywhere between Piacenza and Pesaro.

MadMarsupial

Many thanks to the Forum Readers who have replied. The position is, as I see it
  1. There isn't a ticket that just allows me to walk on any train
  2. It makes sense to buy two singles, taking into account any disruption, on the day of travel in each case
  3. Local TTPER tickets are not specific to a particular timed train but the express train tickets ( intercity and freschia ) are. Thanks again for your help.

nwales58

Slight tweak
Local TTPER tickets are not specific to a particular timed train
Electronic: you book for a specific regional train (up to about 5' before scheduled departure) but the ticket is valid for up to 4h later. If you get an SMS or email about check-in you must do that too to validate it.

Paper: 4h from validation. Maybe already validated when bought else you must valid before travel.

You mentioned 1st. Frecciarossa are 4 class. 1st equivalent is Business which is around 50% more than Standard or Premium. I'm guessing, if your company pays for Club/Business flights it might consider Executive on Frecciarossa but it's a silly price for a short journey.

nwales58

Update on digital regional tickets now I have used them since the change last autumn. All now seem to need ‘check in’ which is equivalent to validating a paper ticket - it starts the 4 hour validity but from the time of the selected train. Up to then it is freely changeable to a different time or day.

On-train announcements after every stop remind you (too late) to do it before scheduled departure or else see the Capotren ASAP to avoid a surcharge.