• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Italian travel issues

Ian99

I find myself in Milan overnight today, thinking I would be getting a ferry to Greece tomorrow. I thought I could just stroll into the ticket office to get my Interrail reservation for Bari for tomorrow so I could get there for a 1930hrs sailing. But no, for some reason all the trains are booked apart from an Italo one which I don't think I can use my Interrail pass on.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? At the very least I'd like to get out of Milan so that I have a shorter journey to Bari on Friday if need be...

Any thoughts welcomed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wandering Pom

There should be regional trains heading in the right direction for which (I believe) you don't need reservations. The Trenitalia website and ticket machines will give you a suitable itinerary if you set the relevant options to exclude Freccia and IC trains. Unfortunately I'm not in a position right now to check the details on how to do this.

EDIT: April 25 is a public holiday in Italy, apparently, so that's probably why there are no reservations available. And I also think you can't use an Interrail on Italo, but it might be worth checking the Interrail website and/or Italo to confirm whether that's actually true.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Have you looked into the Intercity Night trains? I'm sure there would be at least a seat available...

Alternatively, you might need a flight

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
If you want a fairly simple reservation-free option, it looks like there's a 06:50 service from Milan-Pisa, a 1h50m connection there, then a 13:35 to Rome (1h09m connection) and an 18:56 to Naples arriving 21:40.

That'll get you most of the way at a leisurely pace. If you want to make the ferry tomorrow though, I'd suggest paying up for Italo - it's definitely not included in Interrail.

There are Trenitalia TPER services that'll take you to Parma then Bologna and Ancona towards Rome too - they're not shown in the Interrail app, so you'll need to refer to the Trenitalia website then add the journeys manually.

P Binnersley

You can get a Seat on the 06:00 Frecciarossa from Milan to Rome (arr 09:10) and then the 13:05 FrecciaArgento to Bari (arr 17:14)
Milan-Rome.jpgRome-Bari.jpg

D6130

Established Member
you want a fairly simple reservation-free option, it looks like there's a 06:50 service from Milan-Pisa, a 1h50m connection there, then a 13:35 to Rome (1h09m connection) and an 18:56 to Naples arriving 21:40.

You can get a Seat on the 06:00 Frecciarossa from Milan to Rome (arr 09:10) and then the 13:05 FrecciaArgento to Bari (arr 17:14
Unfortunately services between Roma/Napoli and Foggia/Bari are currently bustituted for some distance East of Benevento due to a landslide blocking the line.

nwales58

Frecce to Rome then Rome-Bari, P Binnersley's solution - go to a Trenitalia desk or book 2 separate legs online ASAP - is the fast one or Regionale to Bologna or Ancona after which the FR or IC have seats to Bari, see end of this post.

Italo is not Interrail, you pay

Regionale via Pescara almost works BUT Interrail Rail Planner will not show it, worth understanding why. Milan-Bologna-Ancona is TTPER, which is Trenitalia and Interrail *is* valid but TTPER services are not in the international databases.
Then Termoli-Foggia only has a handful of Regionale services because it crosses a region boundary. Regionale are on Sunday times on a public holiday. So you would need an IC or Frecce for Pescara-Foggia at least.

Updating others: Termoli-Foggia reopened this week. Benevento-Foggia reopened a couple of weeks ago, but Regionale are bustituted long term.

Was wandering around down there last week. The Milan-Lecce overnight arrived around 1330 due to its mega-long diversion via Caserta.

Had a look at the east coast Frecce for Thursday. These have seats, Frecce or Intercity:

Bologna - Bari 1145 1400 1545 onwards
Ancona - Bari everything from 1134 onwards

So you just need to get to Bologna or Ancona on TTPER Regionale if necessary.

Last edited:

Ian99

Thanks for everyone's comments.

With the benefit of that input, I now have a 1240hrs Rimini to 1727hrs Bari reservation and before that a plan to take the

Regionale 2455
Milano Centrale (07:20) - Bologna Centrale (10:10)
and
Regionale 3913

Bologna Centrale (10:34) - Rimini (12:01)

So assuming that those connections work, I'll be in Rimini in time to get the 1240hrs to Bari, and then leave for Greece this evening...

Ian99

Thanks. Yes all going to plan as I type - due into Bari in about 80 minutes.

The TTPER regional train from Milan was very crowded but I managed to get a seat - it was taking at least 5 minutes at each stop as people tried to get on and off (mainly, on) so we arrived at Bologna 25 minutes late. As my connecting train was following, I did think that I could change from one to another a few stops before Bologna in case my second train was able to overtake us (I could see at the earlier stops that it was coming in to the same platform as we were) and thus I would miss it.

I didn't however as by the time I thought of it, 1) we were stopping at stations not called on by the 2nd train and 2) I had it in my mind that if I missed the 2nd train, I could get on the frecciarosa at Bologna (although I only had a reservation from Rimini).

I got on the 2nd train at Bologna quite quickly but it was even more crowded. It was sat at Bologna for about 20mins despite only coming in 5 minutes late. I think - although I'm not 100% sure, that a number of stops were missed out: we arrived in Rimini only a few minutes late

It is such a pity that TTPER trains don't appear on the dbhan site so one could plan with more ease. I think someone said that they weren't on the Interrail app either - but that's somewhat academic as on my - possibly old version - of the app. there are no trains at all. I've had to manually enter every train I've taken so far this week.

The regional trains were full of happy holiday people so all good - it occurs to me that today's style of train travel is much much easier when travelling on one's own without too much luggage.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Veteran Member
Good to read, that you have found a train, Milano to Bari. Do you see travel planner of Interrail/Eurail?

That's what the OP means by the app. I would always confirm it against local timetables anyway.

Willkommen/bienvenue!

Ian99

I often check various sources when planning but I used to use the Interrail App as a starter. However now, apart from a list of stations, it has no built in timetable that I can see. It always says, "Enter journey manually"

rvdborgt

I often check various sources when planning but I used to use the Interrail App as a starter. However now, apart from a list of stations, it has no built in timetable that I can see. It always says, "Enter journey manually"
Then you need to update the app.