• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jo Johnson Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't think this is a loss for transport or rail.
He never seemed to understand the detail of the railways, especially compared to his predecessor Paul Maynard.
He was almost invisible as the rail minister, unlike his boss.

Last edited:

Bookd

Just heard on the news that Transport Minister Joe Johnson (brother of Boris) has resigned because he wants a new EU referendum.
I have no idea what influence he had on railways.

markyl

... Maybe he knows who is going to get the SE Franchise and got out quick

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Here's me hoping he might have resigned over some big insight/disagreement on transport policy.

daikilo

Established Member
A transport minister should have a significant influence on the future of domestic rail, but he seems more concerned by external issues. Next...

JN114

Established Member
Citing disagreements over Brexit.

So it’s nothing to do with this being the worst year on record for leaf fall delays and his instruction to NR to stop tree felling and other preemptive vegetation clearance over the summer.

takno

Established Member
Citing disagreements over Brexit.

So it’s nothing to do with this being the worst year on record for leaf fall delays and his instruction to NR to stop tree felling and other preemptive vegetation clearance over the summer.
Respectfully no. That wouldn't be a resigning matter at the best of times - even for the civil servants who are employed to prevent him from making the decision. Right now it doesn't even register in the list of important matters that are of interest. There's something very big looking and normal politics is simply off the table for the next 6 months at least

Muenchener

How about demoting the member for Epsom into the vacant Transport Minister post and slide the honourable member for Blackpool North and Cleveleys in as Secretary of State for Transport?

Touch ironic i know! Coat at the ready...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A transport minister should have a significant influence on the future of domestic rail, but he seems more concerned by external issues. Next...
That describes Grayling pretty well too.

Looks to me like Johnson has kept his head down and let his boss take the flak.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Respectfully no. That wouldn't be a resigning matter at the best of times - even for the civil servants who are employed to prevent him from making the decision. Right now it doesn't even register in the list of important matters that are of interest. There's something very big looking and normal politics is simply off the table for the next 6 months at least

Neither does the collapse of rail provision in the North of England this year, so it seems.

Typhoon

Established Member
Looks to me like Johnson has kept his head down and let his boss take the flak.
That sums it up.
I've just heard yet another interview with him on leaving the EU - I've lost count now. Number of interviews following the timetable chaos in May/ June/ July - I can't remember one!
He's no great loss - at least Grayling put his head above the parapet! Doubtless he's positioning himself for a top job in a new government.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

you may have missed the rather large elephant in the room overshadowing everything: Brexit.

The next cab on the rank faces the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.