• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

John James of Ammanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

If any kind soul has any photographs of John James buses that they would be happy to share, I would be both grateful and delighted. I had such a wonderfully eclectic mix in the fleet. My mother told me about the first day they ran the bus service along the Amman Valley. Everybody travels for free!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If any kind soul has any photographs of John James buses that they would be happy to share, I would be both grateful and delighted. I had such a wonderfully eclectic mix in the fleet. My mother told me about the first day they ran the bus service along the Amman Valley. Everybody travels for free!
Were they the first independent to run an Atlantean?

Diplodicus

Yes they were first and my first ride in it was back to my grandma’s after a dance in Ammanford. The driver allowed me to stand alongside him and I was mesmerised by the operation of the automatic gears.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It would seem so. I think theirs, Glasgow and Wallasey all entered service the same month - Dec 58
I think Wallasey's was the first to enter service: that was certainly how it was reported at the time in 'Buses Illustrated' magazine, which I had just started to get on a regular basis.

geoffk

Established Member
Yes they were first and my first ride in it was back to my grandma’s after a dance in Ammanford. The driver allowed me to stand alongside him and I was mesmerised by the operation of the automatic gears.
James of Ammanford was not strictly an "independent" by 1959 as it was by then a subsidiary of British Electric Traction, but when and how this came about I don't know. The first independent to run an Atlantean is usually stated to be Silver Star Motor Services of Porton Down, which placed its first in service in or about June 1959.

geoffk

Established Member
I'd recommend Vernon Morgan's book on the company history:

Vernon Morgan : James of Ammanford - Book
Thank you. I've no connection with the area but knew that James, Wallasey and Glasgow Corporations all had an Atlantean in service in December 1958, followed by Maidstone & District the next month. The South Wales Guardian of 26th July 1962 states that James was operated as a family business until 1950 when it was sold to the British Electric Transport Group (sic), when Mr Angus James, MD of the family-run company, continued to act as general manager.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A much respected operation , I recommend the book mentioned. I have very young memories of travelling on them - there are plenty of internet photos on their operations if you do some digging. The town of Ammanford website has some articles on them (and much else of local interest)

Status
Not open for further replies.