• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey abandoned due to train cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.

XmaX

On Saturday, I was supposed to visit a friend for a BBQ. I therefore purchased a return ticket from Cambridge to Welwyn North, splitting at Meldreth (saving of £0.50!). I don't think that Cambridge ticket machines offer tickets from other destinations, I therefore purchased the tickets through GA website, as I'm already registered there.

Then, the train got cancelled as I was already seated. On this particular day, half of the Thameslink/Great Northern services out of Cambridge were cancelled, meaning that the next train was in an hour time. This kind of a delay made my whole journey essentially pointless, and I decided to just go back home. I tried to return the ticket to the ticket office (which is after all operated by GA) but was told I have to contact whoever I bought the ticket from.

I did exactly that, and GA replied fairly quickly, although it seems they didn't really read my message - they suggested I claim delay repay, which makes no sense because travel was not on GA, and there was technically no delay as I didn't travel. They then suggested I contact Thameslink instead. Is that right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marcouk2

NRCoT said:
30.1 If the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed, or your reservation will not be honoured, and you decide not to travel, you may return the unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee being charged.

Go back to GA again.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In this situation, NRCoT 30.1 gives you the right to a fee-free refund from the original retailer/Train Company who sold you your ticket. As this was GA, it's them who you should ask for the refund from. They will then have to claim this back from GTR, but that's not your problem. Certainly it is improper to suggest making a Delay Repay claim to GTR, as this only applies where you at least start your journey (I presume it also only applies if you finish it).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't think that Cambridge ticket machines offer tickets from other destinations, I therefore purchased the tickets through GA website, as I'm already registered there.

I tried to return the ticket to the ticket office (which is after all operated by GA) but was told I have to contact whoever I bought the ticket from.

This is correct so so far so good!

I did exactly that, and GA replied fairly quickly, although it seems they didn't really read my message - they suggested I claim delay repay, which makes no sense because travel was not on GA, and there was technically no delay as I didn't travel. They then suggested I contact Thameslink instead. Is that right?

This, however, is not. NRCoT:

30. Your right to a refund if your train is disrupted and you choose not to travel

30.1. If the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed, or your reservation will not be honoured, and you decide not to travel, you may return the unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee being charged. This Condition applies to all Tickets, including Tickets (such as advance Tickets) that are otherwise non-refundable, and also applies if you have begun your journey but are unable to complete it due to delay or cancellations and return to your point of origin.

30.2. When applying for a refund under this Condition you will need to state the date, time and station where you would otherwise have started your journey from. You must write to the Train Company to notify them of your claim within 28 days of the date that you intended to travel.

Go back to GA and remind them that under the NRCoT, as you abandoned your journey before starting it and purchased your tickets through their website they need to arrange for a refund of the ticket. You do not need to go to Thameslink/Great Northern/GTR for Delay Repay. Indeed you're not entitled to it as your journey was not delayed as you didn't travel!!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Although the website is branded as GA, the ticket is likely to have to go back to the web team for refund and not a station. For most TOCs their own website is a separate retailer to their stations.

island

Veteran Member
The internal mechanics and operations of the TOC are of no concern to the customer. The customer merely needs to return the ticket to the TOC. If he/she chooses to do so at a station managed by that TOC, the TOC ought to have an internal process for getting the request, and the ticket if necessary, to wherever it needs to go.

thedbdiboy

Note that where a refund is required because a journey was not taken or was abandoned you get it from the retailer i.e. the company that sold the ticket, which may not be the company that cancelled the train.

najaB

Veteran Member
Note that where a refund is required because a journey was not taken or was abandoned you get it from the retailer i.e. the company that sold the ticket...
Actually, they specifically say 'the retailer' since for most TOCs tickets sold by telesales/web sales count as a separate retailer to tickets sold via TVMs and ticket offices.

Status
Not open for further replies.