• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee line extension beyond Stratford

MarkyT

Established Member
What about a branch off the Central loop from Wanstead (instead of the train continuing round onto the mainline towards Leytonstone), stopping at an interchange with the Epping branch near the Green Man roundabout, Whipps Cross hospital, Lea Bridge Road and Walthamstow Central?

It'd be around a mile shorter than a Jubilee line extension to W'stow Central, there is no existing rapid transit service to the hospital, and it reduces movements over the junction between the loop and the mainline near Snaresbrook.
Instead of extending Jubilee or Central, I'd attempt to extend the Victoria Line from W'stow Central, stopping at Whipps Cross and Leytonstone, then getting through to Stratford by some means, terminating in the V between the diverging arms of the surface junction. Maybe possible by widening the Central Line shelf alongside the A12 to 4 tracks or maybe partially 3 tracks as it wouldn't be appropriate to extend the entire Vic service to Stratford - A proportion, at least half, would turn back at the new Whipps Cross station which might be constructed in a trench in the wooded area east of the hospital so could have space created fairly easily for an extra platform or two. Note this wouldn't be loading ever more passengers onto the central section of the Victoria Line, an objection to any radial extension to the line. Rather the trains would be doing double duty in picking up orbital journeys from Stratford round to Walthamstow and Finsbury Park. Any more central journeys would be quicker via other routes from the areas served. The Jubilee has a similar U-type route; someone travelling between Docklands and London Bridge doesn't add to West End crowding. I briefly thought about, then quickly dismissed interrunning with the Central between Leytonstone and Leyton. Capacity is the main challenge here as this close in, it is still a busy part of the Central line; the branches haven't yet divided. Then there is signalling compatibility. So a separate pair throughout ideally, maybe with a few short single line sections where cost or difficulty of double was utterly out of proportion.

1716123369831.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
Walthamstow to Stratford is a bus route. I do wish that people would realise that there are things that heavy rail is good for and things that it isn't (and I include the London Underground, which has more in common with heavy rail than it does with a light rail/metro system).
It may be quicker and cheaper to extend the Docklands Light Railway from Stratford International to Walthamstow, rather than the Jubilee Line from Stratford.