• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
A welcome decision however, the reason this train is so busy is that it’s the first “Super off peak” direct service to Penzance. But a change to fares restrictions that was supposed to start Monday means the 10:03 from Paddington to Penzance (1C80) will become Super off peak. Meaning this service will surely become the busiest service and needing a “relief“ train and not the 12:03.

The 10.03 already has a reduced calling pattern and departures before at 09.37 and after at 10.35.

The 11.37 is the missing train - that slot is not available on weekdays on the Berks & Hants for passenger trains. This is part of the reason the 12.03 is so busy as it’s been an hours gap before hand.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The 10.03 already has a reduced calling pattern and departures before at 09.37 and after at 10.35.

The 11.37 is the missing train - that slot is not available on weekdays on the Berks & Hants for passenger trains. This is part of the reason the 12.03 is so busy as it’s been an hours gap before hand.
I don’t doubt that is part of the reason why it is so busy and having an 11.37 would be most welcome. However surely part of the reason it is so busy is it’s the first Super off peak direct to Penzance and this is supposed to be changing soon so the 10:03 is Super off peak too( although an email yesterday say that this has been put on hold indefinitely).

Not saying an extra service isn’t welcome it most definitely is. Passengers here at Reading have on some occasions been unable to board the 12:03 (12:29 off Reading) however it seems to have come just when this service won’t actually be as busy due to the fare changes.

FenMan

Established Member
It was stated in a previous timetable thread the timings on the North Downs Line would be adjusted for 165 operation once the 2tph Reading - Gatwick service introduced last December has bedded down. Slower 769 timings are being used at the moment (and we know what's happened to them). Is this change in the plan for June?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It was stated in a previous timetable thread the timings on the North Downs Line would be adjusted for 165 operation once the 2tph Reading - Gatwick service introduced last December has bedded down. Slower 769 timings are being used at the moment (and we know what's happened to them). Is this change in the plan for June?

Yes the updated 165 timings have been used, within the same timetable pattern as in December. Overall the end-to-end journey times are the same but some intermediate journeys will be slightly quicker.

FenMan

Established Member
Yes the updated 165 timings have been used, within the same timetable pattern as in December. Overall the end-to-end journey times are the same but some intermediate journeys will be slightly quicker.
Thanks for the info!

brad465

Established Member
On GW there’s some summer weekday West Country enhancements to try and tackle overcrowding on the lunchtime Paddington to Penzance trains.

The existing 12.03 Paddington to Penzance looses its calls at Reading, Taunton, Newton Abbot and Totnes. Exeter St David’s becomes a pick up only call. Train remains booked a 9 car 80x.

A new 12.05 Paddington to Plymouth operates, formed 9 car 80x calling at Reading, Taunton, Exeter, Newton Abbot and Totnes returning with an additional 15:49 Plymouth to Paddington.
Are there any equivalent fast calling patterns in the Up direction planned? I know there used to be 1x PNZ-PAD that was Plymouth-Exeter-Reading-Paddington in HST days, but disappeared at the end of 2019. The 10:03 and 12:03 both being non-stop from at least Reading to Exeter is equal to the number of HST expresses before their withdrawal.

What changes are planned on the Southeastern front? I believe this timetable change is the one Albany Park returns to 4tph off peak serving it.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Are there any equivalent fast calling patterns in the Up direction planned? I know there used to be 1x PNZ-PAD that was Plymouth-Exeter-Reading-Paddington in HST days, but disappeared at the end of 2019. The 10:03 and 12:03 both being non-stop from at least Reading to Exeter is equal to the number of HST expresses before their withdrawal.

On Summer Saturdays there is usually something from Cornwall late morning that does a fast Plymouth-Exeter-Reading-Paddington pattern.

PGAT

Established Member
What changes are planned on the Southeastern front? I believe this timetable change is the one Albany Park returns to 4tph off peak serving it.
More evenly spread out services on the Greenwich line and Victoria services extended to Gravesend

ScotGG

Established Member
And the current services past Dartford on the Abbey Wood line are cut back to Dartford aren't they?

Should help remove the extremely lopsided timetable now in place though does reduce direct trains to interchange with the Elizabeth line from stations such as Stone, Greenhithe etc?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have a feeling this may come back to bite them as many people will start complaining extremely loudly when the inevitable happens and Thameslink implodes leaving many passengers claiming all manner of compensation when stops get ripped out or trains spun realms well short of destination. Or indeed when the service just collapses all together

PGAT

Established Member
I have a feeling this may come back to bite them as many people will start complaining extremely loudly when the inevitable happens and Thameslink implodes leaving many passengers claiming all manner of compensation when stops get ripped out or trains spun realms well short of destination. Or indeed when the service just collapses all together
If there’s 4tph to Gravesend on the Abbey Wood branch it’s more likely they both get caught up in disruption. If 2 went via Bexleyheath instead they wouldn’t be as affected

brad465

Established Member
On Summer Saturdays there is usually something from Cornwall late morning that does a fast Plymouth-Exeter-Reading-Paddington pattern.
Thanks for this, I'll try and look when RTT updates in time.
More evenly spread out services on the Greenwich line and Victoria services extended to Gravesend
Are there plans to even out the down trains on the Sidcup line? While up trains are 18/12 mins apart, the down ones being 23/7 mins apart has been well documented on here as being ridiculous.

PGAT

Established Member
Are there plans to even out the down trains on the Sidcup line? While up trains are 18/12 mins apart, the down ones being 23/7 mins apart has been well documented on here as being ridiculous.
That may be involved with the retimings required to add Albany Park to all trains. Not sure though

NorthKent1989

Established Member
What possible disruption could there be in having an additional Gravesend service on the Woolwich line?

Tbh I’m not expecting any major changes to SE except more managed decline, I think I’ll stick with EL or the DLR for the foreseeable.

ScotGG

Established Member
Another 2 tph train on the Woolwich line would simply restore service levels to those seen for many years until recent cuts along the line. Any extra services always runs risk of causing certain issues but weighed up against a frequent service from Kent to connect with the Elizabeth line ot would appear obvious to do it and tap into obvious demand from places past Dartford.

Won't happen though. DaFT and Treasury won't agree

PGAT

Established Member
Isn’t the missing service on the Woolwich line the Cannon Street circular, which avoids both Dartford and Gravesend anyway?

AWK

Will the Northern Sheffield - Doncaster hourly stopper ever be reintroduced? Was removed during Covid and never returned.

Without it there are 3 trains per hour (2 fasts, 1 all stops to Adwick) all of which depart within 20 mins of each other and leave Rotherham, Swinton, Mexborough and Conisbrough with a reduced service (the latter 2 hourly rather than 2 per hour as before)

A S Leib

Will the Northern Sheffield - Doncaster hourly stopper ever be reintroduced? Was removed during Covid and never returned.

Without it there are 3 trains per hour (2 fasts, 1 all stops to Adwick) all of which depart within 20 mins of each other and leave Rotherham, Swinton, Mexborough and Conisbrough with a reduced service (the latter 2 hourly rather than 2 per hour as before)
It was pointed out in another thread that Newcastle – Reading should go back to hourly, but I think from 2025 rather than this June (and of course might help with overcrowding but not with frequency at Swinton, Mexborough and Conisbrough).

ScotGG

Established Member
Don't think so. There was always 2 tph that looped round and still is. It's another 2 tph that were cut. I think it's even more in high peaks.
Isn’t the missing service on the Woolwich line the Cannon Street circular, which avoids both Dartford and Gravesend anyway

Kite159

Veteran Member
Don't think so. There was always 2 tph that looped round and still is. It's another 2 tph that were cut. I think it's even more in high peaks.
Isn't the missing 2tph the rounders which used to go Abbey Wood - Sidcup line as well as the 2tph which current exist which do Abbey Wood - Bexleyheath?

PGAT

Established Member
Isn't the missing 2tph the rounders which used to go Abbey Wood - Sidcup line as well as the 2tph which current exist which do Abbey Wood - Bexleyheath?
Yes that’s what I was referring to. I’m not aware of any other services existing

GW43125

Established Member
Whilst not metro, posters have appeared at Barnham that the proposed west Coastway change is going ahead-does anyone know if the changes will be as per original consultation or if it's been revised?

PGAT

Established Member
Whilst not metro, posters have appeared at Barnham that the proposed west Coastway change is going ahead-does anyone know if the changes will be as per original consultation or if it's been revised?
The Victoria-Portsmouth services won't be alternating stations: one train per hour will stop at Fishbourne, Bosham, Nutbourne and Warblington and the other will skip them. Bedhampton won't be regularly served, and one of the Brighton to Chichester services will be extended to Portsmouth & Southsea
image0.jpg

GW43125

Established Member
The Victoria-Portsmouth services won't be alternating stations: one train per hour will stop at Fishbourne, Bosham, Nutbourne and Warblington and the other will skip them. Bedhampton won't be regularly served, and one of the Brighton to Chichester services will be extended to Portsmouth & Southsea
image0.jpg
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm glad they've seen sense and kept it such that one train does all the little stations between Barnham and Havant.

OneOfThe48

Do you have a picture?

Very interesting they’ve put a poster up but not announced anything publicly.

ScotGG

Established Member
The rounders switched from Sidcup to Bexleyheath line. That hasn't changed tph through Woolwich line.

The cut of 2tph made on the line in 2022 was 2 tph that ran to Dartford/beyond.

So just as the Liz Line fully opened Southeastern reduced services from Kent to serve it!

Last edited:

PGAT

Established Member
The rounders switched from Sidcup to Bexleyheath line. That hasn't changed tph through Woolwich line.

The cut of 2tph made on the line in 2022 was 2 tph that ran to Dartford/beyond.

So just as the Liz Line fully opened Southeastern reduced services from Kent to serve it!
That’s not true. There was only 2tph beyond Dartford which was the Thameslink service, there’s 4 at the moment, albeit with poor gaps, which is being cut back to 2