• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith’s Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Jarrett

This is the long-promised thread of pure nostalgia containing bashing and other trip reports from days gone by. I’ve been interested in the real railway since the early 1970s and while I started logging haulages from about 1973, it was the early months of 1978 when I first started bashing seriously. At that time I was based in Cardiff so the first report will be of a weekends bashing on a local weekend ticket. Thankfully some of my old notebooks from the 1977-80 period have survived several rounds of temporary accommodation, storage at my mother’s house and a couple of house-moves of my own so I can add some flesh to the raw travel moves.

February 1978 – South Wales Exploder (sorry Explorer)

I’d recently moved to Cardiff from my native Bristol with the aim of continuing my studies and one evening at Cardiff Central, I got talking to a local lad who mentioned the existence of a local “railway Club” whose name escapes me but was run by a few local BR staff. I joined up parting with I think the princely sum of 50p for a year’s membership. The first newsletter arrived a week or so later and most of it seemed to contain details of the South Wales Explorer ticket and all the available bashing moves. This was a weekend ranger valid along the South Wales mainline, up the Valleys and also to the Bristol area and other exotic places such as Hereford, Worcester & Cheltenham and all points in between from 18:00 on Friday evening and all through the weekend to Sunday evening.

I had a pre-booked event at the college on the Friday night so it was 22:45 before I was able to buy my first SWE at Cardiff Central. In those days, overnight trains were as interesting as daytime ones and full of odd workings. I was about to sample the first one, the 21:25 Swansea to Bristol mail which also carried a passenger coach or two. Motive power was either a 37 or 47. Tonight we were in luck as 37191 was providing the entertainment. I made myself comfortable in a compartment at the front of the train only to be invaded about two minutes by a herd of wildebeest. There was a last minute stampede from the opposite side of Cardiff Central - about a dozen bashers had arrived behind 25055 on a late running Crewe-Cardiff service and it seemed they were all on SWE tickets. What’s more, I gathered that they had been active since the SWE curfew had been lifted at 18:00 and were hungry for whatever bashing came their way.

37191 paused at Newport for further exchange of mail and 47033 passed through on coal while it’s Laira stablemate 46013 was on another van train. Even though it was dark, I recorded some locos at Severn Tunnel Junction. Among the run of the mill South Wales 37s, 37129 from Tinsley stood out. Immingham’s 31247 was also present – no doubt needing a long rest having strayed that far from home. And even though based at Bristol, 47498 (later to become Doctor Death) was an odd visitor - it was the first time I’d seen an ETH fitted 47 on the Tunnel.

37191 rolled into Bristol shortly after midnight and within seconds, postal workers began unloading the mail that37191 had brought in from all points in South Wales (the TPO carriages on the rear of the train had originated at Milford Haven some five hours previously). Temple Meads was a hive of activity with all five through platforms hosting mail trains. Apart from 37191 and its train, there were:
• 47264 bound for Crewe on a van train that had started out from Penzance six hours previously;
• 45075 on the 01:10 to Sheffield which was a lengthy mail train complete with TPOs and a couple of passenger vehicles;
• 50018 on the Paddington to Penzance postal; and
• 50004 on the corresponding London bound working.
37191 had run round its train ready to return to Milford Haven at 01:14 when Immingham-based 37020 dropped onto a parcels train for the Curzon Street depot in Birmingham that was in the middle road. 37020 left before 37191 and certainly told all of Bristol that it was working hard with about 15 vans in tow! I logged 37191 as leaving on time at 01:14.

Severn Tunnel Junction was soon upon us and most of the locos from before were still present but had been joined by 400024 which was taking on fuel and 20196+199 on a freight. Compare that to today at the Tunnel! The “move” was to bail of the Bristol mail at Newport and wait for the following sleeper train from Paddington which followed up about 45 minutes later. Newport was far from quiet at that early hour as I logged no less than nine movements before Crewe’s 47193 arrived on the Paddington – Milford haven sleeper. Tinsley’s 31175 on a Cardiff bound parcels and another Tinsley 37, 37124, running light broke the monotony of more locally based traction.

At Cardiff, 47193 was detached from the sleeper, giving way to a sixteen-wheeled monster bearing the identity of 46028. This was odd as 46s west of Cardiff on passenger were rather rare. I was not concerned though as the next stage of the move was back to Newport on the Fishguard to Paddington boat train which rolled in with a 47, giving way to 31175 which the Welsh had no intention of keeping too long. After all, barely an hour previously, I’d seen it staggering through Newport. 11.75 miles later and we were off the train again – the trusty herd of bashers all making the same move! Newport was still a hive of activity with plenty of freight moving. But our focus was the Crewe – Cardiff mail. Tonight we had 47205 to add to our haulage records. While 205 waited time (and for the posties to go about their business) Old Oak Common’s celebrity 47, 47500, put in an appearance on an oil tank train. The general consensus was that Old Oak 47/4s were banned from freight so what was going on here?

Arriving back at Cardiff just after 05:00, we were all pleased to see our next train, the first Crew-bound passenger was already in the Platforms. 25042’s boiler was working well as there was steam everywhere and the four coaches were rather warm. At this stage, you’re probably expecting another Newport bail. Wrong! Were we now in exploring mode and bound for Hereford. Chance for an hour’s sleep – just make sure that there’s not an “over-doss”! Thankfully, we were al awake for 25042’s arrival in Hereford where the herd of bashers all bailed, straight onto 50047 and its train of goldfish bowls (that’s what we called air conditioned coaches in those days).Two sixteen wheelers were on the stabling point at Hereford – 40132 being far more a desirable sight than 46009. Even in the 20 minutes we were at Hereford, two freights appeared – 47333 on tanks and 46024 on general freight. I managed to score track on the run up to Hereford in the form of the 3rd side of the Maindee triangle (West to North junctions) as well as a new shack, Hereford, although I was to visit many times in years to come, usually in the company of a class 50 or two.

50047 was taken as far as Worcester Foregate Street for a DMMU (TS401 with power cars 50335+50319) back to Malvern Link. After scoring the Link as a new shack, 47531 (later to become 47775) was provided for the second Hereford – Paddington working of the day which we took back to Worcester but this time to Shrub Hill which allowed some more track to go in the book (Foregate Street to Shrub Hill). A few DMMUs were noted back at Worcester Shrub Hill where we bade farewell to 47531. As well as a few DMMUs, I logged four locos on Worcester shed (31251, 50005/022 and 37182). Continuing the traction variety, 45076 took us south to Bristol Parkway on the 06:39 Leeds- Paignton. At Parkway, the assembled mass alighted. Some opted for 47076 heading north on a Plymouth – Leeds working but most opted to stay a while for the next train into South Wales which turn out to be 43062+43063. Passing Severn Tunnel Junction, there had been a bit of a change around in the stabled motive power with only three 47s, two peaks and two 31s stabled. The only 37 around was 37206 waiting the road with a van train. Both of the 31s were a long way from home – 31247 was still in need of rest but no doubt happier now that fellow classmate 31401 from Finsbury Park was in residence. Our short spin on a HST set was soon at an end as we alighted at Newport. A quick dash to the opposite platform got us onto 25063 on the 11:30 Cardiff – Crewe service. We had this as far as Hereford in order to meet the next southbound service to Cardiff with 25042. One of the party was certain that 25042 would not return as it was overdue an exam. Obviously the exam had been put in hold as 25042, still steaming well, reappeared for the jaunt back to Cardiff. The lacks of 37s at Severn Tunnel Junction seem to be explained by the hoards present at Newport’s Ebbw Junction depot. At Cardiff, I went back to my accommodation for a meal having survived on not a lot since the previous evening.

I did not miss a lot as it seemed my travelling companions spent the rest of the afternoon either bashing DMMUs up the Valleys or HSTs between Newport and Cardiff. Feeling refreshed, I re-emerged at Cardiff Central for the 17:45 departure for Sheffield with 45048 up front. As if Peaks were not heavy enough, this one had a nameplate to add to the weight! By now darkness had set in and it was not too easy to identify locos at either Ebbw Junction or Severn Tunnel. Gloucester was normally a good bet for a foreign loco or two and today did not disappoint with Cricklewood’s 25317 being the guest.

I’d more than had enough of 45048 by Cheltenham so I leapt there. A short wait and I was moving again. This time with 47535 on a Glasgow – Bristol Working. A mad dash at Bristol saw me go for 50040 on a Paddington working for the short distance up the Avon valley to Bath Spa. A HST with 43002+43030 providing the power whisked me back to Bristol where 45107 was waiting to head north on the Glasgow sleeper (yes, sleepers used to run on a Saturday night as well). The only way for me to get back to South Wales was to bail at Parkway and have another HST through the Severn Tunnel. 43036+43037 were recorded as officiating for what should have been an uneventful journey back to Cardiff. However, at Newport I noted the assembled masses of bashers all looking very anxious. Bashers and anxious meant only one thing – something was amiss. I left the HST to make further enquiries. Evidently, a Crewe to Cardiff service had failed just north of Newport and news was awaited of an assisting engine. Cue 37230 roaring through Newport light engine. It did not take long for the collective pennies to drop! About half an hour later 37230 appeared towing an errant Rat (1970s speak for a class 25 – Rat, Mechanical Rat). What a way to round off the day even though it was only a short trip from Newport to Cardiff. Every window in the front carriage was taken and wide open – 37230’s driver was not hanging about and definitely putting in a strong case for better power on the Cardiff – Crewe service!

I had college work to attend to on Sunday morning, reporting to Cardiff Central after lunch. In order to cover all of the key loco hauled turns, one had to be at Newport by about 15:30. There were no suitable loco hauled workings so I opted for a Class 120 DMMU, set C501 with power cars 50653+50707. I was rewarded at Newport with 47083 but had to let that go as that would work again later. 47103 was behind on a Paddington – Swansea working. That’ll do nicely! First score of the day. 47083 (47633 in later life) had already run round its train back at Cardiff and was next up. Newport was as far as I went as a Crewe – Cardiff service was expected. Unlike the previous evening, we had a fully functioning class 25 - 25055 was another score. Back at Cardiff, 45119 was just dropping onto the Swansea – Manchester service. Another hit!! Not being over familiar with the local loco hauled workings, I enquired of the locals what the “move” might be. The suggested destination was Cheltenham but if I was lucky, I could drop off at Gloucester for an additional loco. Thankfully Cheltenham was well within the bounds of the SWE so off I went. Electric Peaks must have been quite a rarity in South Wales as a couple of bashers did the statutory 11.75 miles to Newport before bailing but their places in the front coach were taken by others who wanted a longer ride. My information from the casual conversation at Cardiff was spot on – there was indeed a chance of another loco at Gloucester. As we arrived, 46023 was in the process of running around a Plymouth – York train. Within seconds, 45119 was out of favour and 46023 now the chosen one. But those of you who know me, 6.50 miles with a steaming Laira sixteen-wheeler is more than sufficient.

Cheltenham seem to arrive rather quickly although we were held outside while 45119 made its call and staggered northwards. Sitting in the sidings north of the station was a 50 – the unmistakable sound gave the game away as well as “eyes in the sky” – a reference to the roof mounted headcode boxes carried by the class. Before the Hoover could come into the platform to start work, we had to endure the sight and sounds of another sixteen-wheeled monstrosity in the shape of 45027 on the Edinburgh – Plymouth. Once that tottered on its way westwards, 50044 Exeter was cleared to enter the platform to start its journey to Paddington. First stop was Gloucester which would do me nicely. The final haulage of the day turned out to be 47538 on the Manchester – Swansea which I took through to Cardiff. Others were going to eke a few more miles out of their SWE by going to Neath for the Sunday equivalent of the Swansea – Bristol TPO.

As a first real bashing experience, this was fun but limited finances (poor student etc.) meant that weekend moves were not a regular occurrence. 24 loco winners along with for DMMU power cars was not bad for a first weekend's bashing. But that would all change later on in the year although that's another story.......

Note that locos etc. in bold type are brand new winners. I was not doing mileage then except on Class 50s whereas now, I have the 10 mile minimum standard for anything and everything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A thoroughly interesting read! If only such a weekend ticket existed these days, it would be a very popular seller even without all the loco action!

I will admit to finding it hard to picture Worcester shed, having grown up on a MU railway I can picture standing on platform 1 at Shrub Hill and seeing the sidings there as they are now, but not a proper depot!

Finsbury Park as a depot just sounds ludicrous when you're only familiar with the electrified railway scene there these days!

Severn Tunnel Junction and its yards, they're easier to picture as I've seen photos of them in the early HST days. Still, I also have the image of Severn Tunnel Junction (before it had 4 platforms again, which is how I remember it from my days of being based in Swansea) so I'm sure you can understand it's not easy to picture what it must have looked like. And this is from a man with a very active imagination!

It all sounds like it was an incredibly fantastic trip, and I really do hope you continue more of these in the near future as they're fascinating!

37078xotTE

Established Member
A fantastic report Keith, being a Shrewsbury lad, Rats on the Crewe-Cardiff were my staple diet in the late 70's-early 80's until of course we were invaded by those southerners!!!:D (33's) brings back so many memories, keep them comming

Commoner

This is brilliant Keith. Like the fact that you recorded everything, DMUs, HSTs, loco's on depots, in addition to your loco-haulage - really captures the era. Please let us have some more insights into your 70's travels.

In regard to this report, am I right in assuming it covers the weekend of 24/25/26th February 1978?

Thanks

Kevin (Commoner)

Established Member
A fabulous read. Many thanks for that, it's got my nostalgia juices flowing

Keith Jarrett

This is brilliant Keith. Like the fact that you recorded everything, DMUs, HSTs, loco's on depots, in addition to your loco-haulage - really captures the era. Please let us have some more insights into your 70's travels.

In regard to this report, am I right in assuming it covers the weekend of 24/25/26th February 1978?

Thanks

Kevin (Commoner)
I was sort of still into spotting as well at the time.

As for the date, that would be right although strangely my note book makes reference to 22 February as the starting date! But that's gotta be wrong as the wrong as the 22nd was a Wednesday. Records duly noted.

Any other snippets of information welcome

Commoner

I was sort of still into spotting as well at the time.

As for the date, that would be right although strangely my note book makes reference to 22 February as the starting date! But that's gotta be wrong as the wrong as the 22nd was a Wednesday. Records duly noted.

Any other snippets of information welcome

Keith I have sent you a PM. Thanks Kevin.

Keith Jarrett

29 June 1977 to 9 July 1977 – The Big Moose Hunt
My earliest surviving notebook with full observations is from the summer of 1977. This allows me to tell (in installments) the story of two 18 year olds enjoying 11 carefree days away from home roaming the Scottish rails. With A-level exams behind us, my long-time friend Andrew and I headed for Bristol Temple Meads in order to start our long-planned trip to Scotland – we were fortunate that Andrew’s gran lived in Edinburgh and was more than amicable to us lads staying the odd night or two and using her house as a base for our epic venture . The aim was to see as many Scottish locos and units as possible and also to travel most of the Scottish lines. I had only ever been to Scotland twice before while hunting trains although Andrew had managed another rail orientated visit, dragging his father away from family duties to pay homage to a large number of withdrawn Claytons (Class 17) at Glasgow Works.

Day 1 – 29th June 1977 Bristol to Edinburgh
We’d collected our period returns to Edinburgh and a one week Scottish Rovers from the travel centre at Temple Meads the day before so arriving just after 07:00 we were “good to go”. We were greeted by the sight of 45074 at the head of the 07:28 Bristol to Manchester. 25172 was noted on a freight, 47112 on another passenger train and several class 08s going about their business. For some reason we did not wander down to the South end of Temple Meads to see whether Bath Road depot had anything to offer. Passing Lawrence Hill, 03121 was busying itself in the yard adjacent to the station and at Bristol Parkway, we passed class 119 DMU set B580. Our train was booked to call at Gloucester. Up until 1975, our train would have called at Gloucester Eastgate but with the closure of the Tuffley Loop, we were routed into Gloucester Central where 47240 was waiting to take over our train. 50042 was occupying the other part of Gloucester Central’s extremely long platform with a London-bound train. Gloucester shed held five locos – 25132/134, 45026/071 and 08800. 08849 was noted shunting the parcels depot at Gloucester Central while 47184 was active on freight duties. Progressing northwards with 47240, we recorded 47024 on a freight at Cheltenham before swinging left at Abbotswood Junction as we had a booked call at Worcester. The brief call there produced 08836 on shunting duties and a Tyseley based Class 116 DMU. 08836 is still with us in the ownership of first Great Western and is one of the depot pilots at Old Oak Common depot. Passing Worcester shed, we were able to add 31109, 37159/162 and TBD 968009 (formerly 24142) to our notebooks. The 37s must have been the Lickey Bankers coming in for fuel as we did not see any 37s in the Bromsgrove/Barnt Green area; only 25206 at Kings Norton on a northbound freight.

At Birmingham New Street we parted company with 47240 as we were headed up to Edinburgh via the East Coast route (and coming back West Coast). New Street was as busy ever. 86012/221 & 87012 were stabled by the signal box waiting to head north, 08893 was busying itself shunting while class 304 units 007 & 038 were noted on local passenger duties. 47063 and 45039 were on passenger workings while our train (a Cardiff to Newcastle working) rolled in with 45021 at the helm. Then we saw a pair of class 20s heading through the tunnels. “There’s no daytime freight here!” exclaimed Andrew. That may have been the case but 20152/175 were on a class one working dragging a very dead 47291 on what we recorded at as Sheffield to Paignton working.50044 arrived on a service from Paddington while 86244 passed through light engine. At last, my first cop! A very new 312201worked in on a local train while 56004 was running light engine. 82005 was the final electric loco that we would see that day, again running light. Perhaps the Fat Controller was shuffling his pack? 25313 was the final loco recorded at new Street before we departed on the next leg of out journey.

Having checked Curzon Street Parcels Depot and Landor Street Freightliner Depot on our left we rapidly moved to the other side of the train for Saltley Depot. 25206 noted a short while ago had sneaked around the Camp Hill line and was running light onto Saltley depot; all we could see on the depot itself was 08805, 46022 and 25145/276. Incredibly, almost forty years later, 08805 can still be found in the West Midlands as it’s the depot shunter at Soho EMU depot. 25305 was logged as running light while a MGR train, hauled by 47205, blocked some of our view of the depot. 08742 was seen shunting the nearby Washwood Heath yard while a second MGR train headed by 47176 was seen nearby. Powering on towards Burton on Trent we passed 20061/136 on another MGR train and brand new HST set 254001. Burton shed provided four locos for our notebook 08573/623 and 20153/174 while 08043 was shunting the nearby yards. 08623 is yet another survivor and is one of the few 08s to wear DBS red colours. As we passed Willington Power Station, prototype Peak 44007 was seen entering with a non-MGR coal train.

Just to the south of Derby Station 20073/195 were noted with yet another MGR train and we were able to add 31233 on a general freight as well. 31233 was the first diesel cop of the day although even in 2015, one could quite easily cop 31233 at Derby on account of it being one of the small feet of 31s used by Network Rail on their Derby-based test trains. The curve just outside Derby station produced three class 08s including cop 08067. 08454 was noted shunting the station while 25196 and 40104 were stabled. Sitting in the station was one of Etches Park’s class 120 Cross-Country DMUs which I copped. The final sightings from the Derby area were 08456 (cop) and 08622. Progressing northwards, we passed 40126 at Duffield; this loco gaining notoriety on account of it being involved in the Great Train Robbery. At Clay cross we noted 20013/037 and 47189 running light. And very soon, Sheffield was upon us. 08749 and 08879 (the latter still extant) were recorded as the station pilots along with various DMUs from classes 101, 105 and 110. Leaving Sheffield behind, 08507 was noted shunting a yard while 08183 (cop) was working a trip freight. The yard at Rotherham allowed us to add 08115 and 31245 to our notebooks and soon we had left the now closed Rotherham Masborough station. As we passed Manvers Main Colliery, I was able to cop 40117 on a freight working and shortly afterwards at an unknown location 08307 on a trip freight provided yet another cop. 08498 was shunting at Castleford while a few minutes later we saw 31312 heading yet another freight at Milford Sidings.

We were now rapidly approaching York – a destination of previous visits by Andrew and myself on cheap excursion trains from Bristol. South of the station, “Whistler” 40135, the only split headcode 40 to survive into preservation, was running light while classmate 40152 was on freight and 08062 was the day’s pilot at Dringhouses Yard. Within minutes of arriving at York, I’d managed to fill a whole page of my notebook with various locos and DMUs. As there seemed to be plenty moving about, we bade farewell to 45021 and set about crunching a few numbers! York station itself provided 08169/388 and a host of DMUs from classes 101, 110 and 111 but the highlight was Stratford based 47163 which we noted arriving on a terminating passenger train; 47163 being one of two 47s with large Union Jack flags painted on the bodyside in celebration of the Queens Silver Jubilee that year. 40161managed to sneak around the avoiding line on a freight but did not escape our attention while the first Deltic of the trip 55021 made its obligatory call at York on a northbound working and 31274 ran through light engine, presumably having come from York shed (now part of the National Railway Museum). We boarded a train headed by 46032 and bound for Newcastle but even then I managed to fill another page of my notebook before leaving the confines of the city. Looking to our left, we were able to note down 03172, 31128, 37226, 46050 and 47163/433/458 at York shed while looking to our right we observed the Clifton Carriage sidings pilot 08525. Tinsley-allocated 37226 was a welcome cop as Eastern Region allocated 37s were not particularly common in our native Bristol. 08525 still retains its Yorkshire roots as it can currently be found at Neville Hill Carriage sidings. The extensive yards north of York produced 31108 running light, 31171 on a permanent way train and 40169 doing not a lot.

Passing 40050 working a freight on the four-track race track, Darlington was the next point of interest on our journey. In the station, we noted 31220, 08167 and two class 101 DMUs while the shed produced yet more class 101 DMUs and a few locos - 03080, 08003/004/063/159/772 and 37032. Two more class 08s, 08063 and 08772, were duly added to the day’s tally of cops and had I missed 37032, I’d still be able to see it today if I were to take a trip to the North Norfolk Railway. At Durham, “Generator” 47417 was passed on a southbound passenger train and all too soon we had to prepare for Newcastle and its environs. First up was Tyne yard which allowed us to record 31143/278/280 and 40073 then at Low Fell we saw 08148 along with 31316 and 37026 on freights. Within minutes of alighting at Newcastle, I recorded 03059/170 as station pilots, light engine 45021, a coal train headed by 37028 and 55018 on a passenger working along with several class 101 DMUs. While I’ve not been highlighting DMU cops, by now I was already into double figures - in those days, only Western Region DMUs ran in fixed formations so you had to note down every carriage rather than just unit numbers as you would in 2015! Locally-based 37028 was a welcome addition to the day’s cops. We still had plenty of time to get to Edinburgh so we decided to take the relatively short walk over the Tyne to Gateshead depot and chance our arm at getting round the shed. This time we were lucky, especially as over 20 locos were present comprising 03078/094, 31406/418, 37063/082, 40047/077/080, 45003, 46020/028/029/040/041/046/051, 47410/414/488 and 55021. However, only the two 03s could be added to the day’s cops. While at Gateshead, 31280 which we had seen earlier at Tyne Yard passed on a train of vans. Of the locos seen on Gateshead depot, 31418 survives in preservation, 37082 (as 37602) is still active on the mainline with DRS and 47488 can be found at the Nemesis Rail depot at Burton on Trent.

We were soon back at Newcastle Central and we must have stayed a while since my notebook has almost three pages of locos and DMUs. Nearly all the DMUs were class 101s but the odd 108 from Kingmoor seems to have got in on the act. Loco highlights were
- 55009 on passenger
- 47527 on passenger
- 03111 as eat end pilot
- 37030/161 running light (37030 was yet another cop)
- 47458 on passenger
- 40193 on passenger
- 45046 light engine
- 31406 light engine (seen on Gateshead earlier)
- 37059/073 on a merry-go-round coal train (the 37 cops continued with 37073)
- 47460 on passenger
- 40080 on passenger
- 45003 on passenger

But it was time to bid farewell to Newcastle – Deltic 55002 was to take us north to Edinburgh and my notebook records 55002 on the Aberdonian as our power. Leaving Newcastle behind, we were able to record 08888 at Heaton Carriage Sidings and 40100 (cop) on a freight. 08888 still exists today and my records show that it was last at Didcot working for DBS. 37193 was on a freight at Berwick upon Tweed (cop) and apart from the magnificent scenery, there was nothing to entertain us until the approaches to Edinburgh where 26002 was copped while working a MGR train and 08763 (fourth loco cop in a row) was noted at Craigentinny Carriage Sidings. Then came Edinburgh itself. Waverly station allowed us to record 08575/755 as station pilots, 47435 stabled, 40060 on passenger 25055/37150 running light engine and 27112/208 arriving on a push-pull working from Glasgow. A solitary class 101 DMU arrived before we left for the short ride to Haymarket with 27205/209. 27112 was added to the ever growing list of cops and it’s worth noting that 08575 is still extant as a Freightliner machine. 37150 became 37901 Mirlees Pioneer later on in life and now resides at the Mid Hants railway.

Haymarket was soon upon us and as we alighted from our train, another push-pull working from Glasgow arrived yielding 37206 along with cop 27207 helping out in the rear. But our target was \Haymarket Depot where we were readily granted permission to wander around and carry on filling our notebooks. Present on that day were
- 08572/714/734/789
- 25013/066/237
- 27101/109/203
- 40048/065/071/158/160/166/168/184
- 55009/012/013/022
and a whole host of DMUs including bubble car 55000. Locos 26004, 08714 and 40168 helped to edge the day’s tally ever upwards. While we were enjoying the delights of Haymarket shed, 26024 passed on a freight. Leaving Haymarket behind us, we returned to the station and class 101 DMUs 51224/51462 took us back to Waverley. After logging yet more DMus along with 55003, 40057 and 55012 on passenger trains, it was time for me to meet Andrew’s gran! This was only a short distance away from Waverley and she made me very welcome and was of course pleased to see Andrew. We’d had a long day and were pleased to have a rest (and a bite to eat). But the day was not over – we had not done the day’s tally of scores 24 new locos to see (all diesels apart from 86244) and 35 DMU cars. One day down, 10 to go!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow, that sounds like an epic trip! So many locos lost to the scrappers, so many depots gone, and things like the Tuffley Loop in Gloucester just sound so weird in this day and age, to someone who's only been on the scene since 2003.

I very much enjoyed the read, did you also record your haulages at the time? That pair of 20s at New Street sounds awesome, I assume they'd have ripped off there for more suitable motive power!

Established Member
that was an awesome post:D:D, I'm a nostalgic fool for stuff like that. I wish I had my old trip books. I never saw the 27's do the shoves, when i was old enough to get up there with my friends, the shoves were firmly, in the hands of the 47/7's, which was mighty fine by me, by the way:D:D:D

Keith Jarrett

The Scottish Marathon, Day 2 – 30th June 1977 Glasgow

After yesterday’s exploits of travelling up from Bristol, today we were going to take things a little easier, being scheduled to visit Glasgow Works and Eastfield shed before starting our week long rover. While I cannot recall too much about where Andrew’s Gran lived, I do remember being full of enthusiasm after a decent night’s sleep and a wholesome breakfast. Andrew’s Gran certainly knew how to cater for two 18-year olds!

We turned up at Waverley and purchased our Cheap Day Returns to Glasgow and were pleasantly surprised to find a train leaving within a few minutes for Glasgow Queen Street; 27109 and 27204 were waiting to take us on the 47 mile jaunt to Glasgow. Of course, one would have been at each end the six-coach formation but I did not record which way around they were. We just had time for a quick walk around Waverley to see if there was anything of interest. There were three Gronks on station pilot duties in the form of 08711/734/755, 40199 on a mail train, 25327 running light along with 47041 on an express. The scene was rounded off by a three-car Class 101 DMU. 27109/204 were soon on their way to Glasgow, passing another three-car class 101 on the approaches to our Haymarket stop. As we left, Haymarket, we both transferred our attentions to the right hand side of the train and the up-coming shed. We managed to scribble down three loco numbers and yet more class 101 DMU cars. The locos were, for the record 21100, 40168 and 47274. 47274, one of only seven 47s allocated from new to Scotland, is still with us in 2015 as a member of West Coast Rail’s fleet now fitted with ETH and numbered 47826. We were not able to add anything further to our notebook until Cadder Yard where we sighted 08883 and 25079. Soon after, the train began slowing for the speed restriction at the top of Cowlairs Bank. But first came my first railside glimpse of Eastfield (my previous visits had been by coach). As a taster of what was to come later, we were able to note down 20101, 26026/030/036 and 40036. All three of the 26s provided the first locos cops of the day for me. 270202 was on empty coaching stock at Cowlairs and then I was treated to my first of many runs through the narrow, wet Queen Street Tunnel. Bursting out into the daylight at Glasgow Queen Street, we were greeted by the inevitable class 101 DMU. Keeping the 101 triple company were 47524, 27212, 40063 and 27012; none of these added to the day’s tally of loco cops.

Then the fun came. We knew that Eastfield shed was a bus ride away but the directions we had were rather out of date and it took us almost twenty minutes to find the right bus stop (and bus). Soon we were chugging up the Springburn Road before swinging left into Hawthorn Street and the driver kindly stopped at the entrance to Eastfield Shed. Walking up the drive we soon found the foreman’s office and were granted permission to enter his emporium. Then followed about 20 minutes or so of frantic scribbling. We were surprised how full the shed was for a Thursday. We made over sixty entries in our notebooks while at Eastfield. Locos present were
08326/348/441/718/719/753/761*/764*/827/853
20015/027/039/101/112/120/121/205*
25001/008/079/087/227/228/235/301
27009/012/014/023*/034/036*/042/044/102*/107/108/110/111/211
37148/156*
47207/266/268/424/470

In addition there were yet more class 101 DMU cars along with 27011 passing on an engineer’s train and 27027 on vans. Asterisks denote locos that were cops. Speaking of loco cops, two of the 26s that we copped barely an hour earlier when we passed on the train had disappeared along with 40036. 08853 still survives as part of the Wabtec fleet at Doncaster Works while 20205 has just returned to the mainline, enjoying its first outing only a week ago. 24006 however was in a very shabby condition and was never to run again. On our way out, the foreman enquired whether we were off to the works and as we were due there in around half an hour for our pre-arranged “permit” visit, we found his directions more than helpful.

Joining a couple of other enthusiasts by the door on the Springburn Road, one could have been forgiven for thinking that we had come to the wrong place. But at two o’clock promptly the door opened and we were ushered into the works. We were given a guide who initially wanted to know whether it was just locos we wanted to see or did we also want ll the multiple units as well. He seemed happy to let us wander through at our own pace starting off in the multiple unit shops where countless DMUs and class 301 EMUS were noted. Out in the cutting area of the yard, we got our first loco sightings, or to be more precise, part loco sightings with the cabs of long withdrawn 24002/0o4 and 26016 along with 27013 in the throes of being cut up. Waiting disposal were 20024, 26009 (cop)and 25002/003/004/012(cop)/022 while we recorded 08738 as being the works pilot. Other locos seen were 08445(cop)/570(cop)/731, 20207, 25044(cop)/059/082/140/239, 26035/040(cop) and 27022(cop)/032/033/103/201. The yard also seemed to be overflowing with both DMUs (classes 101 & 120) and EMUs from classes 303 & 311, most of which we copped. Our tour over and done with we asked the way back to Glasgow Queen Street; our friendly guide suggested that we walk to Barnhill and catch a local train to Queen Street low level. While waiting for our train at Barnhill, 20027 passed by on a mixed freight. Class 303 EMU 3030368 was recorded as our haulage back to Queen Street Low level. On the way into Queen Street Low Level we recorded 08721 shunting a yard (any ideas?). At Queen Street we transferred to the High Level and apart from the ubiquitous class 101 DMUs, 47270, 27010, 47053 and 27212 were seen. 27204/109 were again traction for our train back over to Edinburgh. The Cowlairs carriage pilot was visible on our return (08852) while Cadder Yard produced 20184 along with 25079 which was still there from our earlier journey towards Glasgow. Passing Haymarket, we recorded 47466, 27112 and 40168. Of the locos seen on the works, 08738 is still owned by DBS, carrying an off white livery and resident at Toton.

At Edinburgh Waverley, a whole host of DMUs filled the station but more noteworthy were Deltic 55002 running light to Haymarket, 379193 and 47208 on passenger trains. 37193 was a rare sighting on passenger so perhaps it was being worked back home to its native North East of England. A no heat, North East 37 was something that haulage bashers would generally droll over and add to this, the general rarity of 37s on passenger trains in Scotland in the late 70s in Scotland, we had a “scoop”. Bringing us back to reality, 27105/207 rolled in from Queen Street on the next push/pull and the final loco recorded was 40099. But number crunching for the day was far from over. We left Waverley and headed towards the city centre in search of a bus to takes us to the Edinburgh suburbs so that we could visit Millerhill depot; there was no train to Newcraighall followed by a dash over the A1 in those days! From memory, transport was an Eastern Scottish Daimler Fleetline foillowed by a 10-15 minute walk.

Soon after alighting from the bus, we got our first loco cop in the form of 26007 working an unspecified freight out of Millerhill Yards. Then 08571 appeared as one of the yard pilots (another cop) followed by 26001 running light. But it was Millerhill shed we had come to see so we pressed on up the road cum track to the small depot. We were only expecting to find a few locos and a couple of yard pilots but here’s the list ….
08564/575/720/734/789
25065/066
40064/137/158
47453/464
Anyway, apart from the fact that there were no further cops, we rated the trip worthwhile and made our way back to the bus stop and back to Edinburgh city. Given what we had planned for the next 24 hours or so, we went back to Andrew’s Gran for an evening meal and to get ready for the start of our seven day rover. At about 9pm we made our way back to Waverley for an overnighter there. All will become clear as to why we were planning to be there for so long. The following locos appeared before the clock struck midnight. Andrew and I managed to photograph several of them but none of the photos survive.

40164 cop Empty coaching stock
55017 Up Night Capitals sleeper
25046/066 Empty coaching stock
55012 Passenger from London
55003 Passenger from London
27109/204 Edinburgh – Glasgow push/pull
26019/046 cop x 2 Passenger from Inverness
27028 Passenger
27106 Light engine
47041 Parcels
47053 Light loco
55010 Sleeping Cars
40150 Empty coaching stock

We managed 25 loco cops on day 2. In addition 30 different DMU cars were recorded as cops and 13 EMU sets from classes 303/311. This trip was already getting good! I’ll be back soon with day 3 and revealing why we were at Waverley on an overnighter.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very good day there! I can't imagine where Cadder Yard is though, nor do I have gen on the one near Barnhill.

Push and pull 27s in this day and age would be incredibly amazing, and the racket through Queen Street Tunnel must have been awesome!

I can only imagine picture 156s, 158s and 170s at Queen Street as that's what my era has generated there. Will soon change with HSTs on internal long-distance services, which still seems weird and of course the new Hitachi EMUs!

Another fantastic read and I can't wait to find out what happened at Waverley!

Established Member
A very good day there! I can't imagine where Cadder Yard is though, nor do I have gen on the one near Barnhill.

Push and pull 27s in this day and age would be incredibly amazing, and the racket through Queen Street Tunnel must have been awesome!

I can only imagine picture 156s, 158s and 170s at Queen Street as that's what my era has generated there. Will soon change with HSTs on internal long-distance services, which still seems weird and of course the new Hitachi EMUs!

Another fantastic read and I can't wait to find out what happened at Waverley!

ditto, more more mooooorrrrreeeee!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Here's the next installment from the Time Machine......

The Scottish Marathon, Day 3 – 1st July 1977 Edinburgh to Inverness

The clock struck midnight and technically our Scottish Region Rover was valid. But we’d definitely not be welcome on the first train that we saw – 40052 was heading up a freight. Then we were treated to 55001 taking over a southbound sleeper. In retrospect, I would not have minded a spin with number 1 as it was one of two Deltics I never had for haulage (55020 being the other one) 26003 (cop) kept us aware as it was pottering around with a few vans and before working an ECS out to Craigentinny. 25021 was next up bringing ECS into the station which seemed to be a motley collection of vans with a couple of passenger carriages up front. Time was marching on and we had almost a whole hour without activity before 47272 stormed through the station on a Freightliner. Cop number two of the day and a rather special one – my last Scottish Duff for sight! My notebook even times that special sighting at 02:55. Further freights followed with 47270 and 26029.

The first of the northbound overnight trains appeared with 47410 at the helm which was removed in favour of 40100. Lucky passengers on that train! 27028 appeared in one of the bay platforms and sat there. 25078 was noted on a mail train before 26038 appeared light engine and was bolted on to the ECS that 25021 has brought in over an hour previously; 25021 then reappeared and went on to the front of the train which was headed by 26038 which by now was steaming away and heating the passenger coaches at the head of the train. 25021 would not have been any good for that on account of it not having a train heating boiler. The train was advertised as the 04:30 to Glasgow Queen Street. Good! We are all systems go and this was to be our first journey on the Rover. Running non-stop to Queen Street we took the opportunity of some sleep but sitting in the front coach with two type twos thrashing away, sleep only came in brief snatches.

Queen Street was a hive of activity: 27212 was waiting to head out to Edinburgh on the first push-pull of the day (the rear loco not being recorded) and 40063 busied itself shunting the vans off our train from Edinburgh. But surprisingly, there were no Metro Cammell class 101 DMUs to be seen. Given that the Central Belt was crawling with them, could we go a whole day without seeing any? Soon, 25087 appeared at the head of a rake of coaches which we presumed to be ECS for one of the early workings out of Queen Street. It transpired that this was actually ECS for our train. We were off to Mallaig! 27003 back on to the train just before 06:00 and soon after then, we were off, scratching new track all the way from Cowlairs. Wending our way out through the Glasgow suburbs, we noted a few class 303 EMUs and managed to cop two of them. Also espied was 25227 on a freight working. Leaving the urban Clydeside behind, we began enjoying the scenery. I’d been up here on a family holiday ten years previously but that was by car. The West Highlands seemed much more impressive from the rails. At Crainlairich, 27040 was waiting in the loop on a southbound freight while at Corrour 27007 was noted running light engine. That was the 3rd cop of the day but today was not so much about the cops, more the track bashing and savouring the outlook. Ten miles further on at Tulloch, we passed 27012 on the first southbound passenger train of the day. Rolling in to Fort William, 27043 was waiting to take over the train for the final leg to Malliag. Slowing for Fort William Junction, we noted 27038 on a short freight and now the ruggedness of Rannoch more gave way to the gentler aspects of the Mallaig road. We found Glenfinnan viaduct pretty spectacular.

All too soon we were trundling into Mallaig and journey’s end. Most folk would have gone for a wander around the town but not us. We headed straight for the harbour as we were to take a short cut. In high summer there happened to be a twice weekly ferry that worked up to Kyle of Lochalsh. And holders of Scottish Rovers were entitled to a discount on the ferry fare – that saved a few pennies and was particularly useful to put towards food later on that day. Today, the Lord Arkaig was to be our chariot. I still can remember Andrew & I sitting on deck taking in the Scottish sunshine and enjoying chugging along up the coast to Kyle of Lochalsh. The Ferry seemed to take ages but that didn’t worry us as we had about three hours to wait for the train out of Kyle. When we arrived at Kyle, we sought out refreshment as we had not eaten since our sandwiches prepared by Andrew’s Gran the previous evening had run out somewhere around Fort William. We found ourselves somewhere to eat and had a belated lunch. 26015 was provided for the later afternoon train out of Kyle.

The overnight at Edinburgh combined with the excitement of the West Highland line and the ferry up to Kyle caught up with us and so we slept most of the way to Inverness. At least we scratched the track. Feeling wide awake by the time we got to the Highland capital, we were ready to start recording things in our notebook again. First entry was a DMU ; but not a class 101. Instead we recorded our first Scottish class 120 cross-country DMU. With the station having nothing else to offer, we headed along the platforms to the remote end of the station, down the ramp and across the boards to the shed. Permission to wander around was swiftly granted. We recorded no less than 20 locos along with another of those cross-country DMUs. Hailing from Bristol, we were familiar with the concept of the cross-country DMU with both the Gloucester and Swindon built variants being frequently sighted in our native city. Our notebooks logged the following locos
08568(cop)/728(cop)/731/882
25064/065/068/098/226/229
26010(cop)/011/017/019/020(cop)/021/043/046
47269/467

This trip was the only time I saw class 25s at Inverness and 26020 was a pleasing cop – we noted it as being withdrawn (and in fact it was moved from Inverness a few weeks later and cut up at Glasgow Works the following year. Also scribbled in our notebooks was 55011. No, not the Deltic but a class 122 DMU which was a cop but what it was doing at Inverness , Lord only knows!

We’d booked a B&B at Inverness which Andrew had arranged for us – all I remember was that it was close to the station and the landlady querying our odd booking. One night on the 1st and another for the following week. All will be revealed in due course. Anyway, I digress. The day produced only seven loco cops; the lowest tally so far on our marathon jaunt but at least we could add in two EMU sets and seven DMU cars to take the tally into double figures.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another fascinating day there, that double header on the 0430 from Edinburgh must have been hellfire! One can only imagine what it must have been like doing 25s on the West Highland Line, quite a difference to the 37s I've had no doubt!

Shame you slept all the way from The Kyle to Inverness, it's a stunning line and well worth doing when awake, more so on a nice day. Sure was my experience when I did it in 2006, although by the time we reached The Kyle there was torrential rain! I reckon I'd have also preferred the Type 2 to the top and tail 47s I had going back south, which incidentally needed 3 tries to actually get moving!

Thoroughly enjoyed the read, as always, although I hope that you'll have a modern day adventure again one day :)

Established Member
Absolutely wonderful stuff, thanks for posting it.
I believe that the one you had to Mallaig, 27043, still exists, albeit buried in a landfill site somewhere in or around Glasgow.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Good stuff, and brings back memories. Sadly, not memories of 55001- the one that got away unseen by me. :(

I remember the remains of 24006 at Eastfield, copping 08004 at Darlington, a trip to Glasgow from Edinburgh (25205/207 there, 47704 back, so I was on the cusp of the changeover). Oh, and the permanent presence of 08525 at York!

Looking forward to more - and might dig out some old notes myself as these seem to be going down well!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
...Also scribbled in our notebooks was 55011. No, not the Deltic but a class 122 DMU which was a cop but what it was doing at Inverness , Lord only knows!

There were some single car DMUs allocated to Scotland, which worked the Aberdeen-Inverness route, but I don't think they worked singly.
see
http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+122
which says
Inverness had an allocation of 122s through the 1970s and these units worked with the Class 120s on the Inverness - Aberdeen route.

Edit: photo of Sc55011 at Inverness in 1979 here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/graham_williams/6174760356/
and here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhayes/13890274502/

You've reminded me of our trip to Scotland maybe a year or two later than yours - took the overnight Edinburgh+Glasgow to Inverness sleeper, then the first train of the day from Inverness to Aberdeen, which was a 26, steam-heating Mk1s, including a genuine fish van - you could tell it wasn't one of the parcels conversions as it smelt strongly fish.

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

The Scottish Marathon, Day 4 – 2nd July 1977 Inverness to Edinburgh

After a restful night at the B&B, followed by a breakfast that set us up for the whole day, we retraced our steps back to Inverness station. We had a good hour before our train was due out so there was plenty of time to fill the notebook. The day started well with the sight of 08620 (cop) acting as station pilot and 26039 (cop) at the head of a train for Kyle of Lochalsh. As we had time on our hands, we paid the shed another visit and were welcomed by the foreman who wanted to know where we were from. He seemed quite surprised that we had made it all the way up from Bristol. My notebook records the following as present that Saturday morning –
25013/035/046/064/068/226/233
26010/017/020/043
40069/157(cop)
47269/469
While some locos were the same as the previous evening, the pack had been well shuffled. Perhaps the most surprising visitor was 37193 which obviously had not made it back to its native North East (see my activities of 30th June). Returning to the station, 47467 was in charge of the southbound Clansman while 47210 was also headed for the Highland Main Line. 26031 and 26038 were both fussing around with empty stock workings while 26015 and 26041(cop) were paired up in readiness for an trip up the Far North line. Our train out though was a little less glamourous being formed of a five car class 120 DMU formation (power cars 51781, 51784, 51788, 51793). We settled back in the plus interior of the cross country DMUs, managing to get the all-important front seat where we could see the way ahead as clearly as the driver and so the formation rasped its way out of Inverness and we bade farewell (temporarily to the ‘ness. On the way out of town, we recorded 08568 and 08728 both engaged on shunting duties. Heading for Aberdeen and continuing the massive track scratch, the only thing of interest that we passed was a class 120 DMU at Elgin.

At Aberdeen we bade farewell to out chariots that had brought us in from Inverness and thoughts turned again to populating our notebooks. 47208 was on a Glasgow bound train, 26034 (cop) was busying itself with empty stock while 08855 was the station pilot. The next stage of the plan was a visit to Aberdeen shed which was a couple of miles out of town and involved the use of a bus. Thankfully the directions were better than those we had for Eastfield earlier in the week. The shed was well populated and we logged -
08515(cop)/710/817(cop)/828
25050/062/079/238
26022(cop)
40103/162(cop)/163
47207/270/544
Of those locos, 47270 still survives with us today as part of the West Coast Rail fleet based at Carnforth, still carrying BR blue but now named SWIFT.

Back to Aberdeen station on the bus and 40142 was waiting to take us south. At Montrose, 40164 was on a parcels train and at Arbroath, 40150 was on a northbound passenger working. We could tell that we were getting closer to the central belt as we had our first sighting of a class 101 DMU for almost two days. Pressing on, Dundee produced 27001 on a stopping passenger service and passing Dundee shed, we noted 08725 (cop, 26030, 27033 and 47041. The passing of Perth did not lead to any further additions to our notebooks. At Stirling we left 405142 behind and had about half an hour before our connecting train to Falkirk Grahamston. In that time we saw no less than four three car class 101 DMUs along with 47464 on a northbound express (I suspect the northbound Clansman) while 47467 was recorded on a Motorail train. A Class 101 DMU (power cars 51468 +51535) took us round to Falkirk Grahamston where we alighted and sought out the bus to Grangemouth in order to attempt another depot visit. The depot visit was easy – there was absolutely no one around so we authorised our own visit! We recorded
08175/246/505
25006/019/244.
37145/148/151/152/161/205/237
Not a cop in sight!

We bussed it back to Falkirk just in time to join the next train to Edinburgh. Fully expecting a class 101 DMU, we were surprised when we were presented with a class 122 bubble car (55000) for the next leg of the journey to Haymarket. At Polmont we passed 27106+27202 pushing and pulling their way to Glasgow Queen Street, Passing Haymarket shed, there did not seem to be much of interest – our notebooks show a class 101 DMU, 27112, 47418, 55003 and 55020. We left the train at Haymarket where the original plan had simply been to get the bus back to Andrew’s Gran’s house from there. But we were running early so Andrew suggested that we pay a quick visit to Waverley on the off chance of a cop or two. We could see a 26 coming in off the Carstairs line so we dashed over the stairs for the pleasure of 26005 into Waverley. At Edinburgh’s main station we logged the ever present class 101 DMUs along with 08711 on station pilot duties. 47410 and 40152 were stabled in the station doing not a lot while 25078 was recorded on a passenger working. In order to keep to our original plan, we got the next train back out to Haymarket formed of a two-car class 101 (power car 51477) thus bringing to an end the second day of our rover. For the day’s efforts, we had a lot of new track in the book - all the way from Inverness via Aberdeen to Polmont Junction – along with 10 more loco cops and 11 DMU cars.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
More fascinating reading! :D I've never had 26 and probably never will, so I've got a bit envious there!

I think there are about a dozen of them preserved. 26043 at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway is AFAIK in working order and is the nearest to Hereford. They normally have a couple of diesel galas each year.

Go on, you know you want to... ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
D841 Roebuck:2086783 said:
More fascinating reading! :D I've never had 26 and probably never will, so I've got a bit envious there!

I think there are about a dozen of them preserved. 26043 at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway is AFAIK in working order and is the nearest to Hereford. They normally have a couple of diesel galas each year.

Go on, you know you want to... ;)

Oh aye I'd forgot about those ones! Need to look into that then!

QJ

This thread is bringing back memories of my own jaunt around Scotland some two years earlier or as close as:

St Rollox Works 3.8.1975

08341 08710 08754 08789 08852 08855 08952 D3045
20124 20125 20137
26002 26005 26046
27003 27005 27038 27041 27107 27112 27207
D8504 D8508 D8516 D8525 D8529 D8531 D8536 D8542 D8546 D8548 D8550 D8551 D8552 D8557 D8563 D8568 D8573 D8574 D8607 D8608 D8612 D8613

Of interest were the withdrawn class 17s, 24115 receiving attention before transfer from Inverness to Haymarket sheds and D3045 which had been withdrawn from Eastleigh shed in 1972.

Keith Jarrett

yet another enjoyable read Keith. Think I only ever had 2 26's for haulage, had more 27's, all of them, bar 1, was up the Sou Western from Carlisle.

I managed a few more 26s than that! Still to come are several haulage bashes from 1979 onwards including two from Scotland in 1980

This thread is bringing back memories of my own jaunt around Scotland some two years earlier or as close as:

St Rollox Works 3.8.1975

08341 08710 08754 08789 08852 08855 08952 D3045
20124 20125 20137
26002 26005 26046
27003 27005 27038 27041 27107 27112 27207
D8504 D8508 D8516 D8525 D8529 D8531 D8536 D8542 D8546 D8548 D8550 D8551 D8552 D8557 D8563 D8568 D8573 D8574 D8607 D8608 D8612 D8613

Of interest were the withdrawn class 17s, 24115 receiving attention before transfer from Inverness to Haymarket sheds and D3045 which had been withdrawn from Eastleigh shed in 1972.

In my intro to this Scottish jolly, I refer to my mate Andrew dragging his dad around Glasgow Works to see all those 17s. I remember him showing me photos - I wanted to see them but alas, the only 17 that I ever saw was the now preserved D8568.

Last edited:

QJ

Keith wrote:

In my intro to this Scottish jolly, I refer to my mate Andrew dragging his dad around Glasgow Works to see all those 17s. I remember him showing me photos - I wanted to see them but alas, the only 17 that I ever saw was the now preserved D8568.

Looking through the notes of my August 1975 Scottish railrover cum shed bash I see I jotted down class 17 D8616, last of the class, stored at Dundee on 02/08. This is corroborated by The Allocation History of BR Diesels and Electrics compiled by Roger Harris. Nice to know I wasn't fudging it. It was scrapped by J McWilliam, Shettleston the following month so I was fortunate to see it.

The Allocation History of BR Diesels and Electrics is a useful publication for checking the accuracy of my number spotting as the first rat, 25217, I had for haulage was also at Dundee that day. When I first had it for haulage it was piloting 46029 through Devon on a June 1976 Newcastle - Plymouth working when it was allocated to Laira. It appears I was "lucky" to catch it whilst allocated to HA as it was dispatched to the WR later in August; first to Cardiff Canton then to Laira, my home town shed, two months later.

Also scribbled in our notebooks was 55011. No, not the deltic but a class 122 DMU which was a cop but what it was doing at Inverness , Lord only knows!

I had a ride in Sc55011 on an Inverness to Aberdeen working whilst on my 1975 Scottish Railrover. It was used by IS to deputise for class 120 power cars under repair.

On the way into Queen Street Low Level we recorded 08721 shunting a yard (any ideas?).

Your sighting of 08721 after catching an inbound service from Barnhill is puzzling. There don't appear to have been any sidings of note between there and Queen Street since the late 60s when High Street and College Goods Yards closed. Still it prompted me to have some fun trawling through the Internet looking for clues. Back in August 1975 08721 was to be found at Polmadie depot. Could you have witnessed a loco transfer between the south side of Glasgow and Eastfield shed (its home depot)? The other explanation might be you glimpsed the 08 in Sighthill Yard (closed 1981) or there was engineering work taking place on the Haghill Jn to Parkhead North Jn line (closed 1981) or on the City of Glasgow Union Railway at High Street Jn (freight only south of High Street Jn).

Techniquest wrote:
I can't imagine where Cadder Yard is though

Cadder Yard was/(is) between Bishopbriggs and Lenzie on the main Glasgow to Aberdeen / Edinburgh line. Back in the 1970s its otherwise redundant sidings were used to store locomotives enroute to the scrapyard in Shettleston or cutting up at St Rollox Works. in August 1975 a number of class 24s could be seen there awaiting their fate. The loops both sides of the main line were used to exchange Ayr based locos for Haymarket ones on the coal trains running to Longannet Power Station from the Ayrshire coalfield and vice versa.

Look what you have caused, Keith? I can't help reminiscing. Apologies for hijacking your thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.