• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keswick Bus 77/77A - Which Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the Lake District and would like to take a trip on the circular route 77/77A between Keswick and Buttermere - one of the most scenic routes in Britain, apparently. I understand the 77 runs anti-clockwise, whereas the 77A runs clockwise.

Which of the two would be better to travel on, and why?

I would've assumed the 77A solely because of the descent down into Honister Pass, but look forward to all further opinions!)

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As long as you do the full loop I'd not express a preference either way to be honest, I've done both ways and both ways are spectacular, one of the most beautiful bus journeys in the world and including some almost Himalayas style experiences on the narrow roads! :)

If I was going to e.g. Buttermere (as I was the other week) I'd go for the one running via Cat Bells as I think that side is somewhat prettier and certainly more dramatic.

As each way is only two hourly I'd just go with whichever is due when you get to Keswick.

RELL6L

I would think either way round is fine.
On the Honister pass the better views are generally on the north side of the bus with the stream running alongside the road. Past Buttermere though the south (west) side has views over the lake.
Through Whinlatter Forest the views to the north are better.
Going past Derwent Water the best views are to the east, but on the B6289 between Grange and Seatoller the best views are to the west.
Agree the 77/A route is more scenic between Keswick and Seatoller past Cat Bells, also through the attractive village of Portinscale, better than the 78 on the main road, but the 78 is open top deckers.
Some very narrow roads!

Last edited:

asb

On a practical note, if you go the long way round to Seatoller, and then change to the open top, there is a toilet at the car park/bus stop!

Agree both ways round are awesome.

Ken H

On Moderation
Consider the Derwent Water launch to get to/from the bus on the west side of the lake. Make a bit of a change from the bus.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
On a practical note, if you go the long way round to Seatoller, and then change to the open top, there is a toilet at the car park/bus stop!
After that long on a Solo it’s nice to stretch one’s legs, too. I’ve not done it since the 711Ds were running it, and I was definitely glad to get off then.

Status
Not open for further replies.