• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keyham - Plymouth Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Was challenged this morning when using an Off Peak ticket on the 0837 Keyham to Plymouth.

Guard said it wasn't valid before 9am due to off peak, however restriction W6 implies it is valid after 8.15am

Can anyone confirm I'm not going mad? Happy to be proved wrong if necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Keyham to Plymouth appears to be restriction W2, not W6, did you have a different ticket which is W6?
Mind you, if it was W2 then the guard was still wrong in saying "9am".
1652343375797.png
1652343400554.png

RPI

Established Member
Was challenged this morning when using an Off Peak ticket on the 0837 Keyham to Plymouth.

Guard said it wasn't valid before 9am due to off peak, however restriction W6 implies it is valid after 8.15am

Can anyone confirm I'm not going mad? Happy to be proved wrong if necessary.
Was the actual ticket Keyham to Plymouth?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It was an Off Peak return from Plymouth to Keyham. I used the 08:24 off Plymouth and the 08:37 off Keyham, as per my itinerary when I bought it online.

Would be this one I assume: Screenshot_20220512-093659_Samsung Internet.jpg

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Yep perfectly valid
Thanks. It's annoying that they don't know their stuff. It seems it wasn't a guard but a Revenue Protection Officer (or whatever GWR call them), as I'm now on another train with the same fellow and his colleague.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks. It's annoying that they don't know their stuff. It seems it wasn't a guard but a Revenue Protection Officer (or whatever GWR call them), as I'm now on another train with the same fellow and his colleague.
It's more likely he simply made a mistake and didn't realise that it was the return portion - after all, how many people will be using the return portion of a ticket at that time of day?

RPI

Established Member
They should know their stuff, however, its a minefield particularly in Devon and Cornwall, 07:54 Exmouth-Paignton is a prime example, peak if you're travelling Exmouth to Exeter, off-peak if you're travelling Exmouth to Starcross!

And the train you were on, if you wanted to buy a return from Keyham to Plymouth its peak!

I hasten to add, I'm rest day so the RPI you encountered wasn't me :lol:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It's more likely he simply made a mistake and didn't realise that it was the return portion - after all, how many people will be using the return portion of a ticket at that time of day?
A fair point. Its a pity the barcode scanner thing doesn't show these things up on their handset.

RPI

Established Member
A fair point. Its a pity the barcode scanner thing doesn't show these things up on their handset.
It does... but you set it to "Peak", "Off-peak" or "super off-peak" so its a bit of a blunt instrument

Andy Pacer

Established Member
They should know their stuff, however, its a minefield particularly in Devon and Cornwall, 07:54 Exmouth-Paignton is a prime example, peak if you're travelling Exmouth to Exeter, off-peak if you're travelling Exmouth to Starcross!

And the train you were on, if you wanted to buy a return from Keyham to Plymouth its peak!

I hasten to add, I'm rest day so the RPI you encountered wasn't me :lol:
Interesting to know the complications.
The guy was friendly enough, no complaints there, just made the wrong call!

RPI

Established Member
Interesting to know the complications.
The guy was friendly enough, no complaints there, just made the wrong call!
Probably going off on a tangent now but another minefield is evening peak from Paddington! So many easements that you need a degree! How the passengers are meant to know this is beyond me!

jfollows

Established Member
Probably going off on a tangent now but another minefield is evening peak from Paddington! So many easements that you need a degree! How the passengers are meant to know this is beyond me!
Unfortunately, whilst the passengers do know, it's the staff who don't know at Paddington, see numerous threads on this forum, recent articles in RAIL, etc.

RPI

Established Member
Unfortunately, whilst the passengers do know, it's the staff who don't know at Paddington, see numerous threads on this forum, recent articles in RAIL, etc.
There are plenty of passengers who don't know (and who can blame them with such complex restrictions), trust me (and several who do that try it on)

Status
Not open for further replies.