• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King Add on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Please forgive if I am being an idiot, but I have the King add on and am having a few issues keeping speed up on both the Cornish Riviera scenario for Oxford to Paddington, and a scenario of my own creation.

The loco seems to get up to speed pretty well, but after a while the boiler level, boiler pressure and fire level all drop, and then the speed will go with it.

Any ideas whether I'm missing something, or at least what I should do to keep the pace up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
It happens to me as well.

The last time it happened was ages ago. I did a HST run from Paddington to Oxford and the problem occurred just a few miles from Oxford. The train came to a complete stop and no matter what I tried I couldn't get it going again.

So infuriating as I was so close to the end!

I actually wrote this scenario, so I can assure you it is achieveable!

I think the main thing most people forget is to open the dampers. I open mine up at the start of the scenario and leave them there. Remember what the coal level is when you start off, and keep it in roughly the same area. Water level, keep that up using the exhaust injector which doesnt use much steam from the boiler.

As for the HST one, no idea why that stopped working. Did you have a spad which put the emergency brakes on? If you release the brakes you should be good to go, though there is an occasional keyboard bug where the keys stop working for a little while. If you use the cab control instead it should be alright.

I think the main thing most people forget is to open the dampers. I open mine up at the start of the scenario and leave them there. Remember what the coal level is when you start off, and keep it in roughly the same area. Water level, keep that up using the exhaust injector which doesnt use much steam from the boiler.

Are the dampers/large injectiors controlled by me in normal mode (i.e. with the automatic fireman), or do I need to take the part of fireman too?

jp4712

I think Kingston Flyer and HST Power are not having the same problem.

@ Kingston Flyer: I too have found that the King gets short of breath compared to some steamers. But you can still make the most of your engine: specifically, you need to ensure that - except when the automatic fireman is injecting water into the boiler - you are creating more steam than you are using. You can check this by pressing F4 (to get rid of the HUD display) and then pressing F5 twice to bring up the 'parameters' display.

To put the dampers on, simply press M. This applies to auto fireman as well as manual fireman.

The two key factors on keeping boiler pressure up are the reverser and brake positions. When you have released the brake, move the brake lever back to about 20% into the 'running' position. This means that you're not using steam to carry on keeping the brake vacuum at 21 inches. Secondly, when you move off, I assume that you're moving the reverser forward to somewhere between 50 and 75%. But as you get moving faster, you should start to gradually wind back the reverser so that if you're cruising on the level, the reverser should be somewhere in the region of 25%. This enables the steam to expand in the cylinders and let it do the work. Keeping the reverser fully forward is like driving a car in first gear - great for setting off, but not really economical once you're on the move.

@ HST Power: it sounds to me very much like you have not responded to an AWS warning at an adverse signal; or possibly at a speed limit reduction warning AWS ramp. If I recall correctly, there is a bug in the 'simple' driving mode that stops you cancelling an AWS warning if you're driving in 'simple' mode. If you're driving in 'simple', then don't - expert mode is not really more difficult and it's much more rewarding.

If you're already driving in expert mode, then cancelling an AWS warning is as simple as pressing Q when the warning sounds. You have three seconds, then the brakes come on. Bear in mind that you only hear the AWS warning when you're in the cab - if you're driving in view 2 or 3 or 4, you'll just have to keep a look-out for the AWS ramp.

HTH

Paul

Are the dampers/large injectiors controlled by me in normal mode (i.e. with the automatic fireman), or do I need to take the part of fireman too?

Ill be honest, I never drive with autofireman. I therefore cant actually remember if dampers are auto controlled when the autofireman has it.

Best turn him off. If you want to do more than 40mph you are never in my view going to get good results with it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.