• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King Charles III Coronation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enthusiast

Overall, I thought the whole thing was well done. Penny Mordaunt looked mighty fine.

I have seen the whole thing called (unfairly imho) the Con a nation.
Don't know about a con, but it was said to have cost £100m. If it did, that means it cost Mrs Enthusiast and me about three quid. It was worth that just to see Ms Mordaunt with her sword.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Never really understand this money cost thing. Money moves around in circles. If it initially came from the governments coffers most of it will end up back there eventually.
Especially given that (made-up statistic) 99% of it will have been spent in the UK, with UK businesses and suppliers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Never really understand this money cost thing. Money moves around in circles. If it initially came from the governments coffers most of it will end up back there eventually.
It'll also include the cost of pay for the military in the parade - but they'd have been paid anyway whether there was a coronation or not. The only real extra costs will have been police overtime for the on the day security and the prior searches to secure the area. Even the flypast cost would be within the regular RAF etc budget - the crews need to do a certain number of hours anyway in order to keep their currency so if they weren't doing a flypast, or training for one, they'd be up there somewhere training anyway for the same length of time.

MikeWM

Established Member
Don't know about a con, but it was said to have cost £100m.

I found that a fairly baffling number given nothing was really *created* or *produced* as part of the Coronation - it was basically just moving people and stuff around. Was there ever a breakdown of that figure - and as others have said, how much of that was money that wouldn't otherwise have been spent anyway?

If it did, that means it cost Mrs Enthusiast and me about three quid. It was worth that just to see Ms Mordaunt with her sword.

The only issue I have with that is the number of supposedly serious political commentators who seem to think that she should now be given a more senior role in government as a result (some suggesting prime minister!). Since when was being able to hold a sword rather well the only qualification required to be a senior minister, or indeed a useful ability in any way whatever?

87electric

I found that a fairly baffling number given nothing was really *created* or *produced* as part of the Coronation - it was basically just moving people and stuff around. Was there ever a breakdown of that figure - and as others have said, how much of that was money that wouldn't otherwise have been spent anyway?

The only issue I have with that is the number of supposedly serious political commentators who seem to think that she should now be given a more senior role in government as a result (some suggesting prime minister!). Since when was being able to hold a sword rather well the only qualification required to be a senior minister, or indeed a useful ability in any way whatever?
If I have learned anything in recent years, it has been a quoted figure can be guaranteed a fudge of an actual cost. No one can prove or disprove a figure confidently so it’s ripe for manipulation for whatever reason.

najaB

Veteran Member
Since when was being able to hold a sword rather well the only qualification required to be a senior minister, or indeed a useful ability in any way whatever?
Or, as M. Python et al put it: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

MikeWM

Established Member
Or, as M. Python et al put it: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

:) A most appropriate quote!

On Moderation
Since when was being able to hold a sword rather well the only qualification required to be a senior minister, or indeed a useful ability in any way whatever?
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Established Member
A comment made by one of my wife's twin great nephews, aged 8:-

"We were on our ipads but then we had to watch the coronation, which was far too long. There was a man being coronated, and he agreed with everything the other man said."

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, we're all serfs of the banks - at least until we own somewhere outright that they can't boot us out of, so we might as well enjoy the spectacle of monarchy.

"bread and circuses" as someone once said.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Are you suggesting that there's a requirement to have some sort of relevant qualification to be a government minister just now? :p

MikeWM

Established Member
Are you suggesting that there's a requirement to have some sort of relevant qualification to be a government minister just now? :p

It doesn't appear so :) but you'd hope political journalists would at least point that out, rather than making things even worse!

Established Member
Well, we're all serfs of the banks - at least until we own somewhere outright that they can't boot us out of, so we might as well enjoy the spectacle of monarchy.

"bread and circuses" as someone once said.
I didn't notice much bread being handed out. It might be considered a (rather infrequent) circus, but the real circuses these days are the weekly football matches.

Purple Train

Established Member
A comment made by one of my wife's twin great nephews, aged 8:-

"We were on our ipads but then we had to watch the coronation, which was far too long. There was a man being coronated, and he agreed with everything the other man said."
I thought hearing people agreeing on things on television was most refreshing - but then I may have been watching too much PMQs :lol::lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I didn't notice much bread being handed out. It might be considered a (rather infrequent) circus, but the real circuses these days are the weekly football matches.

Maybe, but they all entertain the masses.

And by God, we need entertaining these days.

317 forever

Established Member
Don't know about a con, but it was said to have cost £100m. If it did, that means it cost Mrs Enthusiast and me about three quid. It was worth that just to see Ms Mordaunt with her sword.
She could benefit from that sword when Rishi Sunak falls on his sword next year. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.