• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Knaresborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSDonovan

Hi

I am intending to visit Knaresborough as part of a Yorkshire trip next week. I believe the town and station are well worth a visit as well as the beautiful viaduct. Can anyone supply more details, such as other local places (rail or non-rail) to visit, and how long should I stay there for.

thanks in advance

Richard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Town centre is quite nice, and the station is pleasant enough.
If you get bored there is also Harrogate next door, but its mostly shopping.
The rail line to York is a bit quirky with unusual signalling.
Ripon is nice, and has a cathedral. But a bit far away. There are some buses from Knaresborough but probably quicker via Harrogate. Harrogate bus station is next to the train station.
If you have a car then Boroughbridge & Easingwold are nice small towns. Further afield there is Pateley Bridge and Richmond

Not too far from Knaresborough is a 4 miles-long walk along parts of two disused lines, Harrogate to Ripon and Thirsk, and the Nidd Valley Railway. The walk takes you over Bilton Viaduct.

Don't miss Knaresborough signal box.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
There's a lovely little pub on the York-bound platform (Track & Sleeper) - a pint of their ale starts at about £3.90.

RSDonovan

Sounds a great place. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Looks like I’ll be there for a good few days!

John Webb

Established Member
I've enjoyed numerous visits to Knaresborough while holidaying further up Nidderdale. A nice, compact town but with some steep climbs up from the riverside to the town centre. Pateley Bridge is a smaller town but worth getting to - their local museum has displays about both the Nidd Valley Railway and the light railway which went from Pateley Bridge up the valley to aid the construction of Angram and Scar House reservoirs to supply Bradford. (The latter are freely accessible by a road which the railway ran next to from Lofthouse - good walks round the reservoirs!)
A bit north of Knaresborough is Ripley Castle and adjacent village, and to the SW of Ripon there is the large Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal gardens estate (run by the National Trust) which is well worth a visit.
In general Nidderdale is a much-overlooked area. It was excluded from the Yorkshire Dales National Park when that was set up but much of it has since been declared an "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" which it certainly warrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.