• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Koblenz and Rhine Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

iknowyeah

I'm visiting Koblenz in a few weeks time, and I will be visiting all the usual areas, Mainz, Boppard, Cologne etc, using a FIP.
Does anyone have advice on days out or fares, or even the best trains for the scenic lines

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I'm visiting Koblenz in a few weeks time, and I will be visiting all the usual areas, Mainz, Boppard, Cologne etc, using a FIP.
Does anyone have advice on days out or fares, or even the best trains for the scenic lines

Thanks

Well, the Mosel Valley was very nice in days of yore between Cochem and Bullay (out of the tunnels). I was there for the 01s and 042s n stuff in 1971-72, but the area is full of vineyards. I expect it is bit more touristy now, but probably less so than the Rhine. There was a tiny halt called Neef - I slept in the shelter there a couple of nights to save dosh :) No idea if it remains open today.

AlexNL

Established Member
Try to ride EC8 (Zürich -> Hamburg) or EC9 (Hamburg -> Zürich) between Cologne and Koblenz in coach 263. This is an SBB Panorama coach, giving you great views along the Rhine Valley.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Certainly the mosel line to Bullay and then the branch to Traben Trarbach are a must. To the north, Remagen with its famous ruins of a bridge known from WW ii history and Hollywood. If you can take a boat towards Bingen or Rüdesheim. You get a wonderful view in both lines in the Rhine.
By the way, the train ride among the Lahn from Koblenz to Limburg is also very scenic.
Koblenz station has Lots of freight passing.
There ist also a DB railway museum in Koblenz.

Veteran Member
Try to ride EC8 (Zürich -> Hamburg) or EC9 (Hamburg -> Zürich) between Cologne and Koblenz in coach 263. This is an SBB Panorama coach, giving you great views along the Rhine Valley.
The Panoramawagen is 1st class, so unless you have 1st class FIP I would save it for the Rhine Gorge from Koblenz to Bingen (better done downstream for uninterrupted views of the river though). I think I'd opt to spend the extra on a meal in a restaurant car (but not many of the trains have one, so check - EC8/9 and 6/7 are SBB cars) and use both right and left bank routes for eg Mainz and Cologne to get the best views - or a steamer of course, do you get FIP on them?

Otherwise, I'm with duesselmartin, especially about the Lahn Valley route, much less touristy - and Limburg is worth a visit.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Certainly the mosel line to Bullay and then the branch to Traben Trarbach are a must. To the north, Remagen with its famous ruins of a bridge known from WW ii history and Hollywood. If you can take a boat towards Bingen or Rüdesheim. You get a wonderful view in both lines in the Rhine.
By the way, the train ride among the Lahn from Koblenz to Limburg is also very scenic.
Koblenz station has Lots of freight passing.
There ist also a DB railway museum in Koblenz.

So is Neef still an unstaffed halt that way, DuesselM ? And I think there was another, Eller.

How do I remember these places from 7,000 years ago when I can't remember someone I met last week? :) I don't think I even got off at Eller. Mind you, maybe I've mis-remembered it!

Veteran Member
So is Neef still an unstaffed halt that way, DuesselM ? And I think there was another, Eller.

Neef and Ediger-Eller are still very much in business; in fact, so are all the Moselle valley stations. E-E, being between the Kaiser Wilhelm Tunnel and the river bridge, is still a Station in operational terms (but it probably only has a ticket machine and shelter).

Edit: beaten to it by duesselmartin.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Neef and Ediger-Eller are still very much in business; in fact, so are all the Moselle valley stations. E-E, being between the Kaiser Wilhelm Tunnel and the river bridge, is still a Station in operational terms (but it probably only has a ticket machine and shelter).

Edit: beaten to it by duesselmartin.
Oh dear ..... maybe I'll have to try and visit those place now some time .... the work does seem to keep piling up :)

iknowyeah

Thanks for the tips! The branch line along the Moselle is one I'd not heard of and looks interesting

duesselmartin

Established Member

Established Member
Stayed in Koblenz in Summer 2016, would thoroughly recommend it and the surrounding region! For rail-based days out, you'd be best off with a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (page in German): https://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/regio/regionale-tickets/rhldpfalz/rheinland-pfalz-ticket.shtml

It's valid on regional trains, as well as a lot of regional buses and city buses/trams throughout the region, after 9:00 on weekdays or any time at the weekend. It isn't valid on long-distance (ICE/IC/EC) trains, and from memory to use it you have to write the name(s) of all passengers on it, so keep a pen handy!

I did make a trip on the Goethe paddle steamer mentioned above, but unfortunately it's been converted to be diesel-powered and is no longer really a paddle steamer!

Status
Not open for further replies.