• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KWVR - Infrastructure Upgrades Funded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
Of course a commuter service is not going to happen, but no harm in speculating........!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is indeed no harm in speculating, however we do ask that any speculation takes places exclusively in our Speculative Discussion section, please.

In the meantime, I will lock this thread; in the event that there are any actual updates regarding commuter services, this post can be reported and we'll consider reopening the thread at that time.

Veteran Member
Reopened for an update:

The KWVR magazine "Push and Pull" contains an update from the Society Chair which confirms what working members already knew:
"I can assure you that commuter traffic was not part of our submission."

Summary: it is assumed that the funding covers: upgrade to Keighley signalling, signalling Haworth loop, Diesel facility between Ingrow and Keighley including a rail access (!). Fairly sure this was mentioned upthread (more than once).

D Williams

Reopened for an update:

The KWVR magazine "Push and Pull" contains an update from the Society Chair which confirms what working members already knew:

Summary: it is assumed that the funding covers: upgrade to Keighley signalling, signalling Haworth loop, Diesel facility between Ingrow and Keighley including a rail access (!). Fairly sure this was mentioned upthread (more than once).
Ah, but never let the truth get in the way of a good discussion!

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Ah, but never let the truth get in the way of a good discussion!
It is Bradford Council who brought up commuter services.

Not surprising really as Bradford Council over egg a lot of things and, to be fair, if public money is being given to a heritage railway the public are going to expect something in return so a story about commuter services is a way of suggesting they will get something, even if it is untrue.

Iskra

Established Member
Reopened for an update:

Would signalling Haworth loop allow for 3 trains in operation along the full line? If so, that's something of a game-changer and helps the railway step things up a gear to compete with the likes of the ELR, SVR NYMR in terms of timetable frequency and number of daily locomotives in operation, further increasing the railway's pull.

- - - -

Also, I have changed the the thread title to better reflect what is actually happening, but I've left the OP alone so that the subsequent discussion still makes sense.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
As long as it can be staffed of course more trains and triple the number of signalboxes requires more volunteers!

Veteran Member
Would signalling Haworth loop allow for 3 trains in operation along the full line? If so, that's something of a game-changer and helps the railway step things up a gear to compete with the likes of the ELR, SVR NYMR in terms of timetable frequency and number of daily locomotives in operation, further increasing the railway's pull.
Both would significantly ease operations on busy days: I think you could operate a 4-train service throughout (using Keighley P3 and 4 alternately) at (say) a 40-minute interval whereas at present for robustness it's nearer hourly. You'd get a long station stop at Haworth.
There's perhaps a reduced safety risk, compared with a signaller controlling running movements at an unsheltered ground frame.
The ordinary 2-train service doesn't need it.
Also, I have changed the the thread title to better reflect what is actually happening, but I've left the OP alone so that the subsequent discussion still makes sense.
Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.