• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Labour *Could* reinstate HS2 Northern legs after Government fails to sell off land

tspaul26

Established Member
You're missing the major points and ploughing into details.
And you are talking only of ‘the grand design’ and deliberately avoiding the practicalities.

To take just one example: you say that compensation claims for people affected (whoever they might be) should be more ‘direct’ (whatever that means) because this would be ‘better’.

I have set out a summary of the current system on this point and you have refused to intimate how (if at all) this might be made more ‘direct’.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arkeeos

I’d have a fiver on 2a being reinstated, as there‘s no other realisitic proposals for that section that can provide sufficient capacity. Then I’d have a ton on the route of 2b being used as the NPR route from Manchester towards Liverpool. And that leaves a gap of less than 20 miles…
The government has basically created the London orbital motorway situation again.

Meerkat

Established Member
I’d have a fiver on 2a being reinstated, as there‘s no other realisitic proposals for that section that can provide sufficient capacity. Then I’d have a ton on the route of 2b being used as the NPR route from Manchester towards Liverpool. And that leaves a gap of less than 20 miles…
What needs to be done to get 2a on the go again? Can the PM just say "do it!" or will a new business case be needed with new contracts negotiated?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What needs to be done to get 2a on the go again? Can the PM just say "do it!" or will a new business case be needed with new contracts negotiated?

From a legal / consents perspective not much; from a Treasury approval perspective - that’s a political decision on terms of what approval is needed. I would expect new contracts to be needed for the supply chain, as anything done so far will have expired.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No main works contracts have been agreed or signed, so nothing to re-negotiate there. Its all been enabling/survey work so far.

Chester1

Established Member
From a legal / consents perspective not much; from a Treasury approval perspective - that’s a political decision on terms of what approval is needed. I would expect new contracts to be needed for the supply chain, as anything done so far will have expired.

Legally you are correct but the politics of reinstating it are dependent on phase 1 being electorally acceptable. If Labour manages phase 1 to the extent that most of the public see it as going well then I think phase 2a will be reinstated.

Backroom_boy

Legally you are correct but the politics of reinstating it are dependent on phase 1 being electorally acceptable. If Labour manages phase 1 to the extent that most of the public see it as going well then I think phase 2a will be reinstated.
Short and perhaps even medium term I think the best that could be hoped for for 2a is;
* Route fully safeguarded
* Design continued to be refined
* Enabling or passive work undertaken
* Crewe Hub taken forward probably rebranded as a non HS2 project

Mikey C

Established Member
The UKs motorways were built in a single generation as a rolling programme using both central and local authority planning and engineering capabilities.
The UK motorway network was built in a different era, when construction costs were much cheaper, and there were far fewer issues with planning, the environment, health and safety etc

The time started turning from the 1980s, with far more environmental resistance, resulting in costs rocketing and it taking longer and longer to do anything. Major projects like the Stonehenge tunnel are proving as difficult and as expensive to build as any major rail project!

The Planner

Veteran Member
* Crewe Hub taken forward probably rebranded as a non HS2 project
It already is, its a NR job.

The UK motorway network was built in a different era, when construction costs were much cheaper, and there were far fewer issues with planning, the environment, health and safety etc

The time started turning from the 1980s, with far more environmental resistance, resulting in costs rocketing and it taking longer and longer to do anything. Major projects like the Stonehenge tunnel are proving as difficult and as expensive to build as any major rail project!
Indeed, the M40 across Otmoor, Twyford Down etc being cases in point.

SynthD

The key bit around capturing land value uplift is that it partially deals with the political problems of funding railway building purely with Treasury money.
Optimistic people say that the increase of local land value pays for it, pessimistic people say the Treasury pays now and hopes to collect later.

It’s about 18 miles direct from Crewe to the NPR junction. That sounds easy to sneak into a whole line from Liverpool to Leeds, just don’t deliver it first.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Won't be cancelled, but it will be massively descoped.
to the extent that reinstating phase 2a would require more engineering works at the station?

In addition, would they descoped version allow 400m HS2 trains to arrive at Crewe and split there? That would be useful regardless of phase 2a construction as it would allow more efficient use of paths on Handsacre-Crewe

HSTEd

Veteran Member
to the extent that reinstating phase 2a would require more engineering works at the station?

In addition, would they descoped version allow 400m HS2 trains to arrive at Crewe and split there? That would be useful regardless of phase 2a construction as it would allow more efficient use of paths on Handsacre-Crewe
That is apparently the position that HS2 is pushing for.

They have apparently recommended against alterations to the rolling stock contract.

The Planner

Veteran Member

No, as HS2 arrives at Basford Hall, that wouldn't be altered. Not aware of any works to P5 being taken out of scope yet, 6 is long enough I believe.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Labour will not bring HS2 to the North of England, Keir Starmer has said. The Labour leader told the Manchester Evening News today (January 11) that he has ruled out putting the ill-fated plans for a new high-speed railway line between Birmingham and Manchester back on track.

It comes three months after Rishi Sunak cancelled the Northern section of the scheme, blaming spiralling costs and severe delays. The Prime Minister's decision in October was widely criticised by politicians and businesses leaders from across the North of England.

Following the decision, Sir Keir said his party could not commit to building the second phase of the scheme if it wins the next election. During an interview at the M.E.N. office on Thursday (January), he said that it is now 'impossible' to build HS2 as originally conceived.
He said: "The government has blown the budget, the contracts are being cancelled, the land may or may not be sold and I think that it's not fair for me to commit to something that I don't think is going to happen."

However, when asked whether he has now ruled out bringing back the HS2 plans, he said: "Yes. It's not going to happen."

Well there goes any hope of HS2 North and East. Such a shame as it would have been revolutionary.

castlefieldlad

Per the Manchester Evening News, there is no chance of an incoming Labour government reversing the recent decision to cancel the line to Manchester.

Labour will not bring HS2 to the North of England, Keir Starmer has said. The Labour leader told the Manchester Evening News today (January 11) that he has ruled out putting the ill-fated plans for a new high-speed railway line between Birmingham and Manchester back on track.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That’s disappointing. Calling it “impossible” almost certainly isn’t true, even it might be “very difficult”.

Arkeeos

Well there goes any hope of HS2 North and East. Such a shame as it would have been revolutionary.
Unfortunate.

There is some fallacious thinking where the fact that the government cuts the contracts or sells the land is really quite irrelevant given that money has already been spent, what matters is what to do next, any project you do will require you to issue contracts or buy land, why wouldn't you want that to be a project that already has parliamentary consensus, already has the route planned, and already has some legislation passed. Unless you plan to not build any infrastructure of course.

irish_rail

Established Member
Unfortunate.

There is some fallacious thinking where the fact that the government cuts the contracts or sells the land is really quite irrelevant given that money has already been spent, what matters is what to do next, any project you do will require you to issue contracts or buy land, why wouldn't you want that to be a project that already has parliamentary consensus, already has the route planned, and already has some legislation passed. Unless you plan to not build any infrastructure of course.
How about we sell off all the land, and with the money raised attempt to keep the current Mainlines running. The Great Western is literally falling to bits at the moment, some serious money needs spending to keep the railway open between London and the West. Throwing money at a dead Hs2 isn't going to benefit the majority of our network which is crying out for investment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
How about we sell off all the land, and with the money raised attempt to keep the current Mainlines running. The Great Western is literally falling to bits at the moment, some serious money needs spending to keep the railway open between London and the West. Throwing money at a dead Hs2 isn't going to benefit the majority of our network which is crying out for investment.
The land is overwhelmingly agricultural and worth essentially nothing as a result.

And throwing more money into the money pit that is the classic railway is hardly going to help matters.
HS2 and the railway industry have botched a once in history chance to secure the future of the railway, now there is only decline ahead.

Sorcerer

Despite expecting this sort of thing from Starmer, I am still strangely annoyed at this decision. As a left-leaning voter with an interest in railways and a desire to see Britain's network be better, Labour are honestly not selling themselves to me as a genuine option for the next election, and that is a real shame.

PGAT

Established Member
Give it several decades and we will have people begging to buy the land back for a new desperately needed railway link. Just look at all the threads on this forum about ideas to reopen X link or X curve.

Rail Quest

Such a shame. I can't tell if his decision is actually a sensible one from a prospective government perspective or if its another example of Labour trying to keep the public happy (and, by extension, themselves ahead in the polls) by not reigniting proposals around an already controversial infrastructure project.

I'm starting to think, when (well, if I suppose) Labour win the election, from a railway/public transport perspective - they'll be too concentrated on keeping their polls high that they do nothing at all to improve the railways and just always blame the tories for getting the railways in the state they are in without even bothering to do anything about it. Just a theory I guess.... :'(

Despite expecting this sort of thing from Starmer, I am still strangely annoyed at this decision. As a left-leaning voter with an interest in railways and a desire to see Britain's network be better, Labour are honestly not selling themselves to me as a genuine option for the next election, and that is a real shame.
I agree with this fully.

irish_rail

Established Member
The land is overwhelmingly agricultural and worth essentially nothing as a result.

And throwing more money into the money pit that is the classic railway is hardly going to help matters.
HS2 and the railway industry have botched a once in history chance to secure the future of the railway, now there is only decline ahead.
Yet I reckon if for example Old oak common was sold off for high rise flats a decent amount of money could be raised. Any pockets of land in the south east would surely be worth a fortune. Trouble is I suppose they have cancelled the wrong bit of HS2, the London to Birmingham bit is the least needed, yet this is the bit being forced through.

But there is a world outside London Birmingham and Manchester. The rest of the country creeks on with its ageing network falling to bits, meanwhile we have an expensive all singing all dancing network connecting just 3 cities. Anyone who has travelled on the Western in the past couple of months realises just how desperate things are getting. The money needs to come from somewhere to keep it all going, and this goes for other parts of the UK too.

Sorcerer

But there is a world outside London Birmingham and Manchester. The rest of the country creeks on with its ageing network falling to bits, meanwhile we have an expensive all singing all dancing network connecting just 3 cities. Anyone who has travelled on the Western in the past couple of months realises just how desperate things are getting. The money needs to come from somewhere to keep it all going, and this goes for other parts of the UK too.
Investment into HS2 doesn't have to come at the expense as the rest of the network, and money for HS2 isn't necessarily money that can be spent on the rest of the network, so cancelling HS2's northern leg won't necessarily mean it will improve the Great Western. Also while you are right in saying that there is a world outside London, Birmingham and Manchester, they are still ultimately the most important cities in the UK and among the busiest routes on the network in need of capacity and better connectivity.

najaB

Veteran Member
The rest of the country creeks on with its ageing network falling to bits, meanwhile we have an expensive all singing all dancing network connecting just 3 cities.
HS2 has never been about linking London, Manchester and Birmingham. It's all about increasing capacity on the busiest railway in the country (and one of the busiest in Europe).

Had it been built to plan, with both the eastern and western legs, pretty much everywhere north of Watford would have benefited.

irish_rail

Established Member
HS2 has never been about linking London, Manchester and Birmingham. It's all about increasing capacity on the busiest railway in the country (and one of the busiest in Europe).

Had it been built to plan, with both the eastern and western legs, pretty much everywhere north of Watford would have benefited.
But my point is, we have to choose between a decent nationwide rail network, or get HS2 whilst the rest is allowed to slowly rot and decay. There isn't the money to carry on the way we are going. I genuinely fear we are sleep walking towards an horrific accident if money isn't spent soon. Apparently some HS2 money was to be diverted to be spent on road potholes , so I see no reason why the money couldn't be diverted into making the classic network better.