• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancashire surnames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Stansfield is quite a common name in the Rochdale and Todmorden areas (as in Stansfield Hall Junction). Gracie Fields was actually called Grace Stansfield.

Howardh

Established Member
If we are named after place names, I can't wait to meet Mr and Mrs Nobend!

Gonzoiku

Stansfield is quite a common name in the Rochdale and Todmorden areas (as in Stansfield Hall Junction). Gracie Fields was actually called Grace Stansfield.

Another notably "local" surname from Todmorden is Greenwood, strangely enough. Nothing about it appears to be specific to Todmorden, but a quick glance at the local phone book will reveal that the Greenwoods are concentrated there. Still!

GZ

Altrincham

I am a Winstanley. It’s an interesting topic and a subject that does seem unique to Lancashire when looking at the number of surnames derived from places. The place-names link with surnames often crosses my mind. I have known people (at one time or another) with surnames such as Pendlebury, Roby, Irlam, Egerton, Heywood, Hulme, Hollingworth, Litherland, Charnock.

Interesting to note that most of these surnames originate from southern areas of Lancashire.

Close to the Lancashire border, I’ve also known people with surnames such as Antrobus, Warburton, Mottram.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I note that Pennington is mentioned in post #27. A famous holder of this surname is a geographical "twofer", being the comedian Michael Pennington: better known as Johnny Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.