• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lancaster Railway Station. Pub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
All being well, I shall be changing trains at Lancaster Railway Station around 07 April and will have over an hour between services. Does any one know if the proposed new pub on Platform 3 will be open then? or if there is a pub within easy distance of the station, don't want it too far or up/down big hills as we will both have luggage.

Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you don't mind not having alcohol, the Costa on the up side (forget the numbering) is pleasant enough and has a pubby ambiance.

Otherwise as @jonesy3001 says, out of the station on the up side to your right, out of the gate, turn left and downhill until you see a pub on the left.

If you prefer a Spoons there is one not too far away by the Ibis Budget, for that follow directions to the other pub, cross the main road and turn right and it is on the left a fairly short way up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's on its way but I'm not sure when it will be ready by.

As an alternative, the Sun Inn is about ten minutes from the station and is also owned by the Lancaster brewery who are opening the station pub (and who do some fabulous ales ) :)

The Merchants is probably the nearest and does good ale but can get a bit busy at times.

SouthernR

Just to add - It's ~300m over a gentle hill to the Merchants (with architectural interest), and ~30m further to the Robert Gillow (which now seems to be called the Jailor's Barrel). The lifts to the footbridge are painfully slow. The up side entrance/exit is at footbridge level.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Just to add - It's ~300m over a gentle hill to the Merchants (with architectural interest), and ~30m further to the Robert Gillow (which now seems to be called the Jailor's Barrel). The lifts to the footbridge are painfully slow. The up side entrance/exit is at footbridge level.
Many thanks, The Jailers Barrel looks great.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'm in Merchants right now. Pint of Tirril Brewery Windermere IPA and a Deli Board.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Apparently this pub is now open, does anyone have any information as to its quality, pricing and what kind of offering it has? Does it do Real Ale? Food?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My friend who was in the area at the weekend confirmed that it's open.

It's owned by Lancaster Brewery who do a very nice range of cask ales, so they will undoubtedly be offering some of these there.

They do quite nice food in their other pubs as well.

Iskra

Established Member
My friend who was in the area at the weekend confirmed that it's open.

It's owned by Lancaster Brewery who do a very nice range of cask ales, so they will undoubtedly be offering some of these there.

They do quite nice food in their other pubs as well.
Excellent, sounds worth a visit then :) Thank you

D6130

Established Member
Apparently this pub is now open, does anyone have any information as to its quality, pricing and what kind of offering it has? Does it do Real Ale? Food?
It's called the 'Tite and Locke' - named after the architect and engineer of the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway. According to the publicity blurb, it has six different rooms and two outside drinking areas and has access from both the platform and the street outside. There is no mention of food, so maybe that will come later. It is eventually intended to open from 10 00 to 22 00 seven days a week, but initially will be opening at mid-day. It looks very impressive but, if it's anything like the other Lancaster Brewery establishments, it won't be cheap. The publicity photos show that it's been done out to a very high standard....plus they'll be paying a hefty rent to Network Rail.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I can report that the pub is very pleasant indeed. It does a good range of beers. I'm on one of Lancaster's own which is under £4 a pint. Pricewise in my experience this is pretty good for a station pub, and not at all bad in the context of Lancaster's better pubs.

Very impressed personally !

D6130

Established Member
I can report that the pub is very pleasant indeed. It does a good range of beers. I'm on one of Lancaster's own which is under £4 a pint. Pricewise in my experience this is pretty good for a station pub, and not at all bad in the context of Lancaster's better pubs.

Very impressed personally !
Excellent news! I shall have to pay a visit in the not-too-distant future.

Was in here myself late Friday afternoon(sat outside by plat 1 and 2) very very nice indeed and friendly staff though I was on the Carlsberg.

Lancaster was always missing something like this , much prefer changing trains here as opposed to the gloomfest that is Preston station and it's 'pub'

Status
Not open for further replies.