• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Hatfield Colliery (near Doncaster) line to Hull/Scunthorpe now reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk Sandall

I know I have said this before but if it goes beyond September then are they any new chances of extending a stopper service from Sheffield to Doncaster then to Kirk Sandall? Also how long does the planning take to extend such a service if need be? :D just an idea

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hull trains used this route when Selby line is closed at weekends as there drivers know the route that way to Croften and then pick up a West Coast
driver ( I think it was one of them) to conduct them via Hare Park route to Doncaster.

Yes. That was 16th Feb and 17th Feb, reversing at Wakefield Kirkgate on the Saturday to swap conductors (indeed from West Coast) but only at Calder Bridge on the Sunday.

David Barrett

Not sure if this has been posted but this is an update of news from North Lincolnshire

http://www.briggpeople.co.uk/Train-...g-businesses/story-18672798-detail/story.html

Also.... I was in Gainsborough today and has a walk upto Gainsborough Central to view all the diverted freight trains from the unsafe footbridge , however....Gainsborough Central was locked up so could not take any pictures

At last, some sort of recognition from a local trades group that the railway is an asset to the economy and community.

Gainsborough Central has been only unlocked and accessible to the public on Saturdays for some time now.

neonison

Thanks very much Eagle.

I guess times have moved on from being happy just crossing off numbers in a book.

Each to their own I suppose.
I stopped taking numbers and started going for track, viz.

RouteCoverage20130126.gif

Yesterday on my travels to Lincoln I noticed a Transpennine driver leave the cab at Gainsborough Lea Road to cross over and wait for the next service back to Sheffield.
Is this for route training?

Boothby97

Established Member
Yesterday on my travels to Lincoln I noticed a Transpennine driver leave the cab at Gainsborough Lea Road to cross over and wait for the next service back to Sheffield.
Is this for route training?

Sounds like it. The Cleethorpes crews were using a 185 on a Cleethorpes-Sheffield-Barnetby-Gainsborough-Cleethorpes route learner up until Tuesday, don't know if it has carried on after the Great Coates accident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Rich_D3167

Sounds like it. The Cleethorpes crews were using a 185 on a Cleethorpes-Sheffield-Barnetby-Gainsborough-Cleethorpes route learner up until Tuesday, don't know if it has carried on after the Great Coates accident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam

It certainly has carried on. It even ran on Wednesday (the day after the incident) using 185139 (the unit involved in the incident)! However, it was swapped with 185105 at Sheffield, so presumably went back to Ardwick depot soon afterwards.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Since I have been out of the country for a while I haven't really been inconvenienced by this incident, up until yesterday. Despite it happening a couple of months ago, the whole operation still seems to be mildly shambolic.

Take the 2115 SHF-BEV. I had cause to catch this train last night from Sheffield to Cottingham, and from my experience, quite a few people tend to travel through to Cottingham and Beverley from Doncaster, Sheffield and Meadowhall. I had a choice of taking the 2207 Hull Trains from Doncaster, which misses the 2300 HUL-BEV by 6 minutes, or extending my journey by 90 minutes on an all-stops bus. I opted for the train and irritatingly saw the last Cottingham train pull out of Hull completely empty as we were held on the approaches. Now, surely it wouldn't take too much thought to retime this train to leave 10 minutes later so the connection can be made? I do not feel an arrival time on the bus of 0034 is acceptable either. I paid for a local bus and arrived at home about 10 minutes later than normal, but it's the principle of paying for the bus that I am against.

Meanwhile, today at Doncaster station I requested a copy of the revised timetable for Hull-Sheffield to be told that they didn't have any printed copies. Meanwhile, another customer was told that the rail replacement bus times varied between the copies on the station and on the system.

Sadly, yet again, it appears to be another case of poor coordination between different TOCs, resulting in unnecessary inconvenience for paying customers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

dysonsphere

You do feel sorry for the locals, out of intrest could they not load on the line as its now in effect 2 long sidings. I would have something temp could be arranged even if its just a tippers and grab loading.

lincolnshire

You do feel sorry for the locals, out of intrest could they not load on the line as its now in effect 2 long sidings. I would have something temp could be arranged even if its just a tippers and grab loading.

Think you will find its most probably in the area now of the Worksite so not able to access it, you know all the H & S c*** these days, paperwork galore.

It just goes to show how much the country relies on its railways to transport coal to the powerstations, just think how many lorry movements would be required if we had no railway system

I believe they are using the railway for a coal train, but using lorries for moving spoil around. The coal train has to be top and tailed, and there were a lot of concerns over achieveing a safe method of working (e.g. the signals are out), so it takes a long time. I think it is only one train a day.

eastwestdivide

Established Member

Tomnick

Established Member
Think you will find its most probably in the area now of the Worksite so not able to access it, you know all the H & S c*** these days, paperwork galore.
Have you ever been involved with a possession, or is the above just uninformed gibber? For starters, the rules around possessions are there for a reason - to protect those working within a potentially very dangerous environment - and aren't just unnecessary H&S cake (best guess at what you've censored). Trains can and do work in worksites (the clue's in the name), so that's no barrier. The lack of signalling, incidentally, isn't either - signals are ignored within possessions anyway, so as long as it's extended to cover the area with no signalling, all will be well. Whether there's other practical reasons preventing trains loading up, I don't know - the suggestion that they will be doing so suggests not though.

lincolnshire

Have you ever been involved with a possession, or is the above just uninformed gibber? For starters, the rules around possessions are there for a reason - to protect those working within a potentially very dangerous environment - and aren't just unnecessary H&S cake (best guess at what you've censored). Trains can and do work in worksites (the clue's in the name), so that's no barrier. The lack of signalling, incidentally, isn't either - signals are ignored within possessions anyway, so as long as it's extended to cover the area with no signalling, all will be well. Whether there's other practical reasons preventing trains loading up, I don't know - the suggestion that they will be doing so suggests not though.

Yes often been involved in possesions, but how many possesions are fenced accross the track by 6 foot high steel fences from cess to cess across all the rails as you will see in the pictures if you look at them. How many times have you had to remove steel fence pannels to get a train in your possesion?

This been a worksite ( the same as on building sites not a railway worksite ) and is fenced across at both ends when you look at pictures relating to this landslip.

The signalling is back on now as they have put a 650 volt supply in to feed it at Stainforth Relay Room, as the normal supply comes from Thorne Junction direction, so they now have signalling again controlled from Doncaster PSB.

Not been to site myself but know the area in particular.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.