• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Peter C

Established Member
Well if anyone wants to read 7(!) pages of Lapford stuff with some superb photos it’s on the shelves today (never thought I’d be saying that).
I must say that I’m really pleased with it. :)

View attachment 109983
Congratulations Mr @Cowley! I shall endeavour to purchase a copy of this most finest of magazines at the appropriate juncture.
(Although, in all seriousness - good work, it's great to see your hard work getting such recognition ;))

I knew the day was looking up when I saw the NMT this morning.
And I saw a funky thing outside a fire station so I assume it was meant to be, etc. etc.?

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations Mr @Cowley! I shall endeavour to purchase a copy of this most finest of magazines at the appropriate juncture.
(Although, in all seriousness - good work, it's great to see your hard work getting such recognition ;))
Thanks Peter. It’s actually a very good edition this month anyway so well worth getting.

And I saw a funky thing outside a fire station so I assume it was meant to be, etc. etc.?
Is that a line from a song?

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. It’s actually a very good edition this month anyway so well worth getting.

Is that a line from a song?
So sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - it's this magazine; it's so good, I've been reading it for the past ten days :lol:
I don't think it is a line from a song, but maybe there's something in it - RailForums Modelling Section's Christmas Album, 2022?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - it's this magazine; it's so good, I've been reading it for the past ten days :lol:
I don't think it is a line from a song, but maybe there's something in it - RailForums Modelling Section's Christmas Album, 2022?

-Peter

I missed this but thanks Peter. Maybe all the staff could sing a different song for the album.
I’ll pick something by Slayer…

I bought me a couple of new mail vans this week. I need to stop buying mail vans now because it’s starting to get a bit silly!

C77340D7-6AD6-42ED-B0F1-594B7BDFD56C.jpeg

9DB98009-B7E3-4B47-B3C9-1A651A71A328.jpeg

I was so moved by my new found parcel and newspaper carrying ability that I made a short video about it:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I missed this but thanks Peter. Maybe all the staff could sing a different song for the album.

I bought me a couple of new mail vans this week. I need to stop buying mail vans now because it’s starting to get a bit silly!

View attachment 111223

View attachment 111222

I was so moved by my new found parcel and newspaper carrying ability that I made a short video about it:

News travels much faster in Devon these days... ;)

(Worthy and very nice additions.)

Gloster

Established Member

Why not get a couple of the Dapol blue Fruit D, dirty them up and represent the situation in the second half of the seventies? (I have been whiling away a day spent inside (my house due to a fever/cold, not Parkhurst) looking into the history of the Fruit D.)

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You could always pretend it's Christmas...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
News travels much faster in Devon these days... ;)
It certainly does. Express Parcels doncha know. ;)

Why not get a couple of the Dapol blue Fruit D, dirty them up and represent the situation in the second half of the seventies? (I have been whiling away a day spent inside (my house due to a fever/cold, not Parkhurst) looking into the history of the Fruit D.)
I have considered that but then I’d have to get a 25 and they seem to be quite hard to get hold of at the moment (just had a look on eBay and there is one blue one for sale which I’m watching).

You could always pretend it's Christmas...
I’d have to de-leaf all my trees!

Now you just need some post office vans outside the station to meet it.
View attachment 111228
Mmm, that’s tempting…

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have considered that but then I’d have to get a 25 and they seem to be quite hard to get hold of at the moment (just had a look on eBay and there is one blue one for sale which I’m watching).
Did 33s not haul them?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As you can tell, my expertise ain't BR Devonshire.

Maybe you need an Hymek? ;)
I think so too. I’m waiting for Paul to buy a 22 and then I’ll get one.
We can then do an in between era at shows. :)

Peter C

Established Member
And I'll do something by Max Bygraves? Good - sorted ;)

View attachment 111223

View attachment 111222

That does look rather nice, I must say. There's something about parcel and newspaper vans I quite like; something a bit different, and not something you see all that often now. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounds good to me 8-)

Edit: speaking of which - which show?
It’s the Exeter show towards the end of June and it’ll be our first show for three years (for obvious reasons).
It’ll also be the first time Moors View will have had an outing…

F6F8DAE2-C535-4855-8174-3CCEFA0442DA.png

And I'll do something by Max Bygraves? Good - sorted ;)

That does look rather nice, I must say. There's something about parcel and newspaper vans I quite like; something a bit different, and not something you see all that often now. :)

-Peter
Me too. Especially one that takes a while to go past. :lol:
I made a reference to the Red Bank Parcels services in the video. Those often had a great variety of vans:

1646943308850.jpeg
(The photo didn’t embed properly but it’s by John Turner circa 1970)

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s the Exeter show towards the end of June and it’ll be our first show for three years (for obvious reasons).
It’ll also be the first time Moors View will have had an outing…
Very nice, I was at MRS two weekends previously and it was most enjoyable to be back again. Though that was only a two year hiatus, only the 2021 exhibition was cancelled.

Moors View looks good; I was able to sample a number of similarly high-quality layouts at MRS - including one I last saw 20 years ago there, that was a long wait but worth it! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice, I was at MRS two weekends previously and it was most enjoyable to be back again. Though that was only a two year hiatus, only the 2021 exhibition was cancelled.

Moors View looks good; I was able to sample a number of similarly high-quality layouts at MRS - including one I last saw 20 years ago there, that was a long wait but worth it! ;)

Was the Blair Atholl layout there?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was the Blair Atholl layout there?
Yes, that was the one I was alluding to. I believe it was last there in 2002, and I have some photos of myself at the 2002 show - so presumably I would've seen it there.

It is a magnificent layout and plenty of photos were taken!

My friend who went with me was called into action as an emergency rerailer, TWICE! ;) Some slight issues with getting the boards level at the joins I think.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, that was the one I was alluding to. I believe it was last there in 2002, and I have some photos of myself at the 2002 show - so presumably I would've seen it there.

It is a magnificent layout and plenty of photos were taken!
It’s a superb layout and it’s been around for years. I remember looking at it in a magazine when I was young!

My friend who went with me was called into action as an emergency rerailer, TWICE! ;) Some slight issues with getting the boards level at the joins I think.
Why didn’t they ask you..? ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s a superb layout and it’s been around for years. I remember looking at it in a magazine when I was young!
I actually was reacquainted with it via a thread on rmweb asking after it a few years ago. It seemed familiar and the backstory led me it's website which in turn led me to video footage of it from MRS '02.

Why didn’t they ask you..? ;)
He was closer to the action ;)

I did offer my expert advice in other ways - telling them which bogie was off! :lol:

takno

Established Member
I usually try to get down to my parents around then. Might manage to pop in if the timings work out. This freedom to travel again thing still feels strange...

Iskra

Established Member
That is a long mail train! Liking the inclusion of the composite passenger coach in the formation too!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is a long mail train! Liking the inclusion of the composite passenger coach in the formation too!

Yes that was a bit of an SR thing when you could travel on a mail train in the wee hours of the morning back in the day.

I usually try to get down to my parents around then. Might manage to pop in if the timings work out. This freedom to travel again thing still feels strange...

It’d be great to meet you @takno. I should be able to offer you a cup of tea and a drive of a train if you say hello. ;)

Peter C

Established Member
Me too. Especially one that takes a while to go past. :lol:
I made a reference to the Red Bank Parcels services in the video. Those often had a great variety of vans:

View attachment 111260
(The photo didn’t embed properly but it’s by John Turner circa 1970)
That certainly does look like a lovely mix of vans. There's probably a thread in there somewhere - "What was the longest/most varied mail train?' :lol:
I've only just got round to watching the video, I must admit - my apologies - but it's brilliant to see the whole mail train in action. Especially with all those different angles!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That certainly does look like a lovely mix of vans. There's probably a thread in there somewhere - "What was the longest/most varied mail train?' :lol:
I've only just got round to watching the video, I must admit - my apologies - but it's brilliant to see the whole mail train in action. Especially with all those different angles!

-Peter

Thanks Peter. I might start that thread at some point actually. I think I know the answer but it’d be interesting to see what comes up…

Erm, I may have had one too many glasses of wine last night and ordered this from Osborns Models in Bideford.

A1CF95A7-2686-4FD1-86F3-7A91DF8664AE.jpeg

This is what it comes with, I’ll be weathering the life out of the 47 before it goes anywhere near the railway, it’s the first thing I’ve bought with half an eye on modelling the West of England line:

26C3CDF1-204F-4382-B619-126991DAB78D.jpeg

I really need to get a breathalyser attachment for this phone.

Gloster

Established Member
Why do we appear to be seeing the back of the signal box? Although it does look as though it may be a GER/LNER design, which would go with the locos if they are Stratford’s finest, as they appear. And yes, Stratford’s finest did reach Devon, if not often.

reddragon

Established Member
Thanks Peter. I might start that thread at some point actually. I think I know the answer but it’d be interesting to see what comes up…

Erm, I may have had one too many glasses of wine last night and ordered this from Osborns Models in Bideford.

View attachment 111336

This is what it comes with, I’ll be weathering the life out of the 47 before it goes anywhere near the railway, it’s the first thing I’ve bought with half an eye on modelling the West of England line:

View attachment 111337

I really need to get a breathalyser attachment for this phone.
I've been on that train!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why do we appear to be seeing the back of the signal box? Although it does look as though it may be a GER/LNER design, which would go with the locos if they are Stratford’s finest, as they appear. And yes, Stratford’s finest did reach Devon, if not often.

I didn’t notice that when I was posting it. Here’s a better photo of the box:
3C0F5FD1-9B82-47BA-9CC3-2C384EF3CDBD.jpeg

It’s based on Downham Market signalbox.
Yes I had runs behind most of the Network Southeast 47s down here but surprisingly not this one. 47576, 47579 and 47582 were all locos that I travelled behind around Exeter though.

I've been on that train!
I never managed to make it out to Cambridge when it was still loco hauled unfortunately. Although I did manage a run from Liverpool Street to Colchester behind 47580.