• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Le Shuttle, Eurolines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any public coaches (Eurolines or others) that run via the Shuttle or do all use cross channel ferries?

Cheers :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Their fares are not very competitive when compared to Eurostar, given the much longer journey times from London. This is partly because they don't use any yield management.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Their fares are not very competitive when compared to Eurostar, given the much longer journey times from London. This is partly because they don't use any yield management.

so in that case I'll probably be better of sticking to my FIP Eurostar fares, pity as I fancy bashing Le Shuttle but not being able to drive is just a slight barrier :lol:

radamfi

Established Member

They do some cheap fares. I used them from London to Lille last Sunday and it cost £9. Given that it went at 0600 I assumed it wouldn't be very popular but it was almost full.

Just checked the website and it is £9 for many days starting Monday.

The highest fares are favourable when you compare to booking Eurostar at short notice.

I like iDBus because they have adjustable width seats!

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
They do some cheap fares. I used them from London to Lille last Sunday and it cost £9. Given that it went at 0600 I assumed it wouldn't be very popular but it was almost full.

Hmm that sounds promising :)

Oscar

Fares Advisor
iDBus do not set appear to set quotas for their fares (apart from the coach being full of course) but fares do differ for different services. For example, some coaches between London and Lille cost £9 and others cost £41.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
looking at their website the SNCF logo appears on the back, wonder if there is any FIP concession!

I've looked at the prices on a random date and being resonable I've seen cheaper on Eurolines that would cater for Dover to Calais journey as opposed as London to say, Lille. I'll certainly save their page though as maybe I'll try and sample them sometime in the future

radamfi

Established Member
When you book you get an allocated seat number. However, when I booked there seemed to be no way of choosing the seat. The driver did tell the passengers to observe the seat number.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Is there any form of catering on the bus too? Incidently if you are a coach passenger can you buy a brew on Le Shuttle itself?

radamfi

Established Member
There is no food available on the coach. You have to bring your own. When you arrive at the Eurotunnel Terminals you can go into the terminal building while you wait for your train, where there are cafes. There are also vending machines in the traffic queues just before boarding.

There are no facilities on the train itself except toilets at either end of the train. The trains used for small cars are better as they are double deck and have toilets throughout the train. Taller cars and vans and coaches have to go into the single deck trains.

daniel78

so in that case I'll probably be better of sticking to my FIP Eurostar fares, pity as I fancy bashing Le Shuttle but not being able to drive is just a slight barrier :lol:

Couldn't you just turn up with a hitchhiker type sign? Surely someone would let you sit in the back of their car for 20 quid ;)

stut

Established Member
If you cycle, Eurotunnel run a bike-carrying minibus through the shuttle twice daily.

Downside is that it dumps you in the middle of that godawful booze market in the middle of nowhere.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Couldn't you just turn up with a hitchhiker type sign? Surely someone would let you sit in the back of their car for 20 quid ;)

hey, thats an idea! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you cycle, Eurotunnel run a bike-carrying minibus through the shuttle twice daily.

Downside is that it dumps you in the middle of that godawful booze market in the middle of nowhere.

any good bike hire shops in Folkestone? :lol:

sarahj

Established Member
Dont get too excited, its dull, oh so dull.
To practise, sit in a car in a garage for 30 mins. If the garage has a window, then it must be dark. If you need the loo, put a portaloo in the smallest cupboard you can find.
To highten the trip, get someone to bounce your car about.
Remember no radio is allowed on in the car.

Its handy if your in a hurry, if your not I get the ferry.

tripleseis

I use Le Shuttle as an opportunity to kip for 30 minutes. I rather do that than sit on a ferry for over an hour on choppy waters.

Ironside

Dont get too excited, its dull, oh so dull.
To practise, sit in a car in a garage for 30 mins. If the garage has a window, then it must be dark. If you need the loo, put a portaloo in the smallest cupboard you can find.
To highten the trip, get someone to bounce your car about.
Remember no radio is allowed on in the car.

Its handy if your in a hurry, if your not I get the ferry.

I agree with you, the guage of the train is impressive but once you have done the journey once its very boring to repeat.

EWS 58038

I'm planning a trip from Holland to the GCR Swithland steam Gala in April. Was thinking of using the tunnel as it comes cheaper then most ferrys.... unless you guys have any good places for cheap fares....

Status
Not open for further replies.