• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leander visiting the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway this weekend (23rd/24th March 2024).

12C

This seems to have been kept relatively under the radar, but ‘Jubilee’ Leander is visiting the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway this weekend. This will also coincide with Ivatt 2MT 46441 being returned to service after its overhaul. The locos will haul timetabled trains alternately, although it’s not clear which will start first.

It’s very unusual for this line to get a visiting loco, and certainly not one this big so it’ll be quite a unique experience.

Details advertised on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/haverthwaiterailway

Our 2024 season commences this Saturday, 23rd March!

We are thrilled to announce that 'Leander' will join the recently restored Ivatt 46441 for this weekend only!
These two magnificent engines will haul alternate passenger trains following our scheduled timetable.
Hope you can join us for this very special experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Well that’s interesting. I’ll be visiting a heritage railway this Saturday, but this has set the cat among the pigeons somewhat in terms of which one…

Is there any particular reason for the Jubilee visiting?

12C

Well that’s interesting. I’ll be visiting a heritage railway this Saturday, but this has set the cat among the pigeons somewhat in terms of which one…

Is there any particular reason for the Jubilee visiting?
If I remember rightly it was due to visit last year as part of the 50th anniversary of the line re opening, but plans didn’t materialise. Leander is owned by Dr Peter Beet, who was one of the original founders of the L&HR, as is the Ivatt.

barrowjack

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the explanations. I’m just waiting for another railway to update their locomotive roster before making a decision on where I will end up.

Are there any recommended lineside spots for photo’s/filming the passing trains after I’ve rode on them for a bit? I’ll have my car and walking boots with me.

Also do trains call at Newby Bridge or is it a request stop.

Apologies, it’s been a long time since I’ve visited.

Last edited:

12C

Thanks for the explanations. I’m just waiting for another railway to update their locomotive roster before making a decision on where I will end up.

Are there any recommended lineside spots for photo’s/filming the passing trains after I’ve rode on them for a bit? I’ll have my car and walking boots with me.

Also do trains call at Newby Bridge or is it a request stop.

Apologies, it’s been a long time since I’ve visited.
The area around Newby Bridge station is quite a good photo spot, if I remember correctly there is a small lay-by near the entrance to the station where you can watch trains setting off, or the by road bridge crossing the railway just after the Swan hotel on the road heading to Lakeside gives a good view of trains accelerating away from the station, although take care as this is narrow and busy with traffic.

All trains usually stop at Newby Bridge, as far as I know it’s a booked stop, although maybe worth mentioning to the guard if you want to play safe, it’s quite rare anyone gets on of off there.

Iskra

Established Member
The area around Newby Bridge station is quite a good photo spot, if I remember correctly there is a small lay-by near the entrance to the station where you can watch trains setting off, or the by road bridge crossing the railway just after the Swan hotel on the road heading to Lakeside gives a good view of trains accelerating away from the station, although take care as this is narrow and busy with traffic.

All trains usually stop at Newby Bridge, as far as I know it’s a booked stop, although maybe worth mentioning to the guard if you want to play safe, it’s quite rare anyone gets on of off there.
Thank you for the information :)

I had a great visit today, thanks for the heads up @12C

Full details in my trip report thread in due course, linked in my signature below. Was everything okay with the Ivatt today? It seemed a bit off at times, with very liberal use of the cylinder drain cocks and quite a bit of wheelslip on departing Haverthwaite?

thumbnail_IMG_4420.jpg

Last edited: