• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lee -> City Thameslink commute: Is there a cheaper fare / way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you guys can help.

I currently use a London Z1-3 annual travel card which is loaded onto a Oyster card. At the cost of £1648 a year, this year that increased to £1696. This is purchased via a Work Travel scheme which means I only pay for 10 months and that is deducted via wages.

I am always trying to find a way each year to cut the cost if possible.

I live in Lee - South East London And work in City Thameslink. My Shift is 8-4, 5 days a week Monday to Friday. leaving my home about 6:30. Is there a cheaper alternative available? Such as switching route, using pay as you go or switching ticket. Can someone help? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I live in Lee - South East London And work in City Thameslink. My Shift is 8-4, 5 days a week Monday to Friday. leaving my home about 6:30. Is there a cheaper alternative available? Such as switching route, using pay as you go or switching ticket. Can someone help? Thanks.

An annual rail-only season ticket from Lee to London Terminals is £1124, a saving of £572 over a zones 1-3 Travelcard.

From Lee this is valid to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East, Charing Cross, Vauxhall (via Waterloo East and Waterloo Main), Blackfriars and City Thameslink. Note that it's not valid any further north on the Thameslink route though.

At the moment, this is only issued as a paper ticket (and thus you'll probably need to get it replaced a few times throughout the year as it suffers from wear and tear - this is easy enough to do though).

See the National Rail season ticket calculator:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/seasonticket/tickets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.