• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to Bedford return- Saturday EMR strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkmarie80

Hiya
Okay so. I may have to go to Bedford on Saturday from Leicester. I’m not 100% sure yet, I will find out Friday. But I need to plan for the eventuality.
If I bought an Off Peak Return, could I use it to come back via Bletchley, Milton Keynes and Nuneaton which is the route I am looking to use because the likely time of the last direct train is too early for me.
I seem to recall the routing restriction on such a ticket is ‘not via London’ and as I don’t intend to go via London presumably that would be okay?
Any help appreciated (if anyone knows another route also that would be helpful- I chose the MKC route as it’s one I know well but I don’t know if there’s any other way) thank you!
PM80

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HughT

There are only two mapped routes for that journey - one via Market Harborough, the other Oakham. Both require you to travel via Kettering. Neither of your suggested routes is permitted. I don't think "Not via London" is meant to be taken quite so literally!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have a play with searching https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/ (or another TrainSplit brand) with a via point of Milton Keynes - it's showing plenty of Advance fares at £26.10 total (each way, no railcard) currently with a split at Nuneaton (and you can buy these up to an hour before departure if there's still availability).

pinkmarie80

I might have to knock it on the head then- there’s no way on this earth I can afford £52. I do have a railcard though.
Edit- just seen the time of the last direct train. I should be able to make that fortunately.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It appears that EMR now have ticket acceptance in place with XC & WMT, which should allow you to go via Birmingham or at least via Tamworth & Nuneaton if you can't make the last EMR service.

kieron

Established Member
I might have to knock it on the head then- there’s no way on this earth I can afford £52. I do have a railcard though.
Edit- just seen the time of the last direct train. I should be able to make that fortunately.
If you're only going for the day, one option would be to buy a Leicester-Bletchley return for £27.95 w/ railcard. They're valid via Bedford or Nuneaton, so your return journey could be Bedford-Bletchley (on the outward ticket) and Bletchley-Nuneaton-Leicester on the return.

_toommm_

Established Member
If you're only going for the day, one option would be to buy a Leicester-Bletchley return for £27.95 w/ railcard. They're valid via Bedford or Nuneaton, so your return journey could be Bedford-Bletchley (on the outward ticket) and Bletchley-Nuneaton-Leicester on the return.

Although Bedford to Bletchley is now buses due to the maintenance providers for the trains on that line (Vivarail) going into administration; something which the OP may not want to endure.

Status
Not open for further replies.