• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leicester to Grantham in the steam days

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

In the late 50s/early 60s I used to travel from Leicester to Grantham to view the ECML in its prime, sometimes we travelled direct by bus, other times it was Leicester Central to Grantham via Nottingham Victoria.

On one such journey between Nottingham and Grantham, it was the usual compartment stock, and I had in my duffle bag the usual picnic of Egg sandwiches, Banana sandwiches, some Fairy cakes and a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock pop.
We were in a compartment towards the front of the train and whilst travelling along we were hanging out of the windows and exchanging pleasantries with some spotters a coach or so behind.

At this point we had a cunning plan:lol: crumple the fairy cakes and release the crumbs out of the window into the faces of the spotters towards the rear of the train.:lol:

Of course in those days the guards compartments had those observation windows that jotted out and the guard could see what was going on. At the next station he came up to our compartment, hoofed us out and made us sit with the other train spotters, good old days.:lol:
Grantham shed never had a turntable, just a large tri-angle to turn the locos, as I remember it, the shed was pretty easy to get around.;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Funny story

Funnily enough my dad used to go to Grantham and Clay cross in the late 50's and early 60's as a kid.

Back in that day if you had crumbs in your face, youd see the funny side or get on with it. Nowadays thats assault because there are some stupid people out there

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This story really brought a smile to my face - especially as it was in my local area.

Thanks for sharing Gus :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Back in that day if you had crumbs in your face, youd see the funny side or get on with it. Nowadays thats assault because there are some stupid people out there

I don't know, if someone tried that sort of stunt on me I probably wouldn't see the funny side either, however I would never take it to the level of calling it a crime. You forgot though it isn't the victim that's the problem, it's the lawyers who represent them. Perhaps Shakespeare was correct in Henry VI (Part 2): 'First thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers'...

38Cto15E

Trust me there was nothing dangerous about the stunt, otherwise the other spotters would not have kept looking out of the window.
Probably a bit more dangerous was sneaking around the shed whilst A3 s etc were moving around. :)

Johnuk123

Established Member
Trust me there was nothing dangerous about the stunt, otherwise the other spotters would not have kept looking out of the window.
Probably a bit more dangerous was sneaking around the shed whilst A3 s etc were moving around. :)

When I think about what I used to get up to in steam sheds it's a wonder I wasn't killed.
Being a member of a Grammar school Railway club we used to be off on a Saturday any time from 1.00-2.00am onwards on a coach all over the country.
Although the shed and works visits were all properly organised and official we'd still be up on tenders and climbing all over the place - literally heaven.

38Cto15E

Yes John I have a magazine somewhere with a picture of Derby Open Day, absolutely amazing days, like St Trinians on speed.
I can remember once taking a spanner or two for a shed plate off the smokebox door. :)

Johnuk123

Established Member
Yes John I have a magazine somewhere with a picture of Derby Open Day, absolutely amazing days, like St Trinians on speed.
I can remember once taking a spanner or two for a shed plate off the smokebox door. :)

Like St. Trinians on speed - excellent.

I have never been to an open day as such my visits to works were all on Saturdays with the school railway club.

We went to Eastleigh/Doncaster/Derby/Swindon/Crewe all in the space of a few weeks.

Those trips guzzling tizer and sandwiches on a coach were a time of my life that will never be forgotten.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I don't know, if someone tried that sort of stunt on me I probably wouldn't see the funny side either, however I would never take it to the level of calling it a crime. You forgot though it isn't the victim that's the problem, it's the lawyers who represent them. Perhaps Shakespeare was correct in Henry VI (Part 2): 'First thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers'...

You wouldnt see the funny side, because you would have nothing to see it wth as there are signs clearly stating not to stick your head out of the window :D

Status
Not open for further replies.