• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Less than 50% of delay repay being claimed

trainJam

Smallest I have claimed was just under 50p (12.5%); Largest was £20 (100%)

Part of it for me is the novelty of getting a rail travel voucher.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tony2

Similar experience when I booked tickets for me and two pals.
Advised that delay repay is recompense for an individual therefore each of us had to separately make a claim.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll give that a try.

camflyer

Very impressed with a recent claim on Greater Anglia. The final leg of a return trip was cancelled due to flooding so I had to take a taxi home for £20. I put in a claim expecting it to be rejected but got full repayment of the ticket (£45) within a few days.

alansmithee

I do all of mine online and find it a very easy process because all of my tickets are digital. I must be over £2000 on avanti itself this year alone.

On Northern we go for tickets rather than cash and the burscough junction to Omskirk is cancelled so often we have about 40 free tickets knocking about that we use for longer journeys so it works out better than cash.

Last edited:

Tony2

I’ve just made four separate claims to Avanti, for 2 outward and 2 return journeys. The outward was cancelled so we got the next train 2 hours later. The return was delayed for 114 minutes behind 4S43 which failed on the ascent of Beattock bank.

My wife booked for both of us against the same booking reference, I uploaded all of the tickets separately showing the different seat numbers but obviously quoted the one reference.

I’ve had 1 successful claim, 1 still under consideration but 2 unsuccessful as I’ve been accused of making duplicate claims!

I’ve appealed and taken a new photograph showing both tickets in the one photo against each unsuccessful claim.

This is my first claim online for delay repay.

For my future reference and asking someone out there with more experience of these claims, is there anything else I should have done to make it clearer that there were two tickets? I couldn’t see anything in the claim software myself to make this clear.

I’m astounded the software doesn’t check the seat reservation numbers which are different or even the original booking to show that 2 outward and 2 return tickets were purchased!

Thanks for any advice.
I thought I’d post an update on this case as it was resolved yesterday.

I decided to stick to my guns and upload appeals to the case, which the software allows. Afterwards I was still frustratingly receiving ‘this claim is unsuccessful as it is a duplicate’ messages. It is obvious the automated software still handles the case at this point.

The appeal decision offered a link to submit a compliant, which I duly did with plenty of venting about the substandard software not being able to recognise the different seat reservations and the fact I’d photographed both tickets proving this was not a duplicate. I even included the useful statistic posted on here that only 47% of delay repay is being claimed- and no wonder with such an inadequate website!

That seemed to do the trick and I’ve now received the full refund of the purchase price of both tickets as a result of the complaint process. I take it human intervention occurs at the complaint stage so an obvious error the automation isn’t picking up is at last evident.

All in all this process required me to fill 14 forms, either original claims, the appeals then the final complaints themselves and took 12 days to resolve.

On Moderation
Just submitted a claim with CrossCountry as a result of them cancelling last night's 1D87 BHM-NOT last train of the day (in fairness they did at least put on a coach which is better than Northern who usually just declare "do not travel") and can confirm they still have the 3.5 MB file size limit for ticket photo uploads. My smart phone photo was 3.7 MB and it was a bit of a faff to reduce the resolution. I can only suspect that this limit has been deliberately set to deter claims.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just submitted a claim with CrossCountry as a result of them cancelling last night's 1D87 BHM-NOT last train of the day (in fairness they did at least put on a coach which is better than Northern who usually just declare "do not travel") and can confirm they still have the 3.5 MB file size limit for ticket photo uploads. My smart phone photo was 3.7 MB and it was a bit of a faff to reduce the resolution. I can only suspect that this limit has been deliberately set to deter claims.
To be fair, it is trivial to resize images. If your phone doesn't have a simple tool, there are many websites, e.g. https://imageresizer.com/

OrangeJuice

I've found TfW to be frustrating. In August I was 15 minutes late into Barmouth from Southampton and what should have been a simple claim with a single ticket wasn't because GWR were 3 minutes late into reading on a 7 minute minimum connection. Despite making the 4 minute connection and my ticket being stamped on the GWR Swansea train TfW sent my claim to GWR who sent it back, to send it to GWR and so on. I appealed to TfW to repeat the same process of sending to GWR, in the end I gave up on the £9 due.

Most recent journey from Southampton to Crewe with 3 split advance tickets and 30 min late arrival into Crewe, can't put multiple ticket numbers in, enter the first one, GWR service we didn't delay you. Re-entered the three ticket numbers on appeal and will see what happens, probably argue only 29.75 min delay and only payout on the Newport to Crewe part. One can hope.