• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Letter of prosecution for wrong railcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
I deeply apologise for my mistake I made & any inconveniences caused by this. I have learnt from this and will do better next time I have never had anything like this happen before so this has surely taught me a lesson. I realise my faults and am keen on settling the matter out of court via a fine. I am happy to pay the outstanding amount and any extra costs for your trouble and time which you deem appropriate. Once again I am truly sorry and thank you.

We usually tell posters to reduce their responses because they are too long - in your case, it is much too short.

You need to quote the case reference number, and assume the reader has not had a chance to read the case notes. Set out what happened - when was it, where was it, what were you caught doing etc.

You have apologised, but in fairness it does not seem sincere. You won't do better next time - you will do it right next time. Please look at other posters' letters in this forum for examples of how to write your letter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AB6

Thank you all for the advice I greatly appreciate it also where would I find the other posters letters?

Veteran Member
Thank you all for the advice I greatly appreciate it also where would I find the other posters letters?
You read the threads. Use the search facility to narrow it down - eg GTR or 16-17 Saver...

AB6

You read the threads. Use the search facility to narrow it down - eg GTR or 16-17 Saver...
Thank you

I am writing to offer my sincere apology for not producing a valid ticket entitling my travel I also apologise for any inconveniences caused by it. I accept responsibility of my actions and have learnt from this and will do right next time, I have never had anything like this happen before so this has surely taught me a lesson. I realise my faults and also understand the rules and regulations kept in place for the railway. I would be very much grateful on settling the matter out of court. I have also taken extra precaution when selecting my railcard to make sure I have a valid ticket. I am happy to pay the outstanding amount for the fare and the train companies administrative costs which you deem appropriate for the trouble and time wasted on this case as soon as possible. Once again I am truly sorry and hopefully this case can be resolved smoothly and quickly, thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thank you

I am writing to offer my sincere apology for not producing a valid ticket entitling my travel I also apologise for any inconveniences caused by it. I accept responsibility of my actions and have learnt from this and will do right next time, I have never had anything like this happen before so this has surely taught me a lesson. I realise my faults and also understand the rules and regulations kept in place for the railway. I would be very much grateful on settling the matter out of court. I have also taken extra precaution when selecting my railcard to make sure I have a valid ticket. I am happy to pay the outstanding amount for the fare and the train companies administrative costs which you deem appropriate for the trouble and time wasted on this case as soon as possible. Once again I am truly sorry and hopefully this case can be resolved smoothly and quickly, thank you for your understanding.
You need to set the prose out logically as you are writing a formal letter. You’re in trouble here, so you need to show genuine contrition.

This just sounds like a hodgepodge of sentences mashed together in the vague hope it reads properly. Set it out properly and use paragraphs.

You need to directly address and acknowledge the correspondence in the opening line. “Thank you for your letter/email of (date)” and explain in the second sentence why you are replying.

Always close on a call to action - reiterate, politely, the specific outcome you are hoping for.

Read what you’ve written and be honest - if you received that, does it sound like someone humbly asking for a bit of grace who genuinely understands why ripping off the recipient of the letter (the company) is wrong?

You’re a student so this is basic English language proficiency: write a letter.

MotCO

Established Member
You also need to break the letter into 3 or 4 paragraphs, and this will lead you into filling out the letter a bit.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Some of the wording is a bit clunky imo. Eg “this has surely taught me a lesson” and the “rules and regulations” sentence.

If by any chance you have used AI to help you draft the letter, and the wording feels like that, then I would redraft and put it into your own words.

AB6

To whom it may concern,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to address the letter sent to me on ... relating to the reference ... on ...

Firstly I want to offer my sincere apologies for not being able to produce a valid ticket entitling my travel, and I deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused. I take full responsibility for my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. I have never had a situation like this before and this incident has served as a valuable lesson for me.

I now fully comprehend the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set forth by the railway. I would be very much grateful to resolve this matter quickly and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to settle the case out of court. I have taken extra precautions to ensure the validity of my railcard, to prevent any recurrence of such incidents in the future. I have made sure to always check the ticket is my 16-25 railcard and not a 16-17 savers. I understand doing this causes the company to lose a lot of money and I will do right next time.

I am happy to pay the outstanding amount for the fare and the administrative costs incurred by the train company for their time and efforts. I acknowledge the trouble and time invested in this case and I would be most grateful if you could take into consideration, allowing me to settle this as an out of court action.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can swiftly and smoothly resolve this matter out of court. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Your sincerely ...

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Not a bad effort, but I think it needs a little more tuning. I think it’s all your own work and you’ve taken inspiration from other drafts here - which is a good idea, except some of them were written by AI, and that relies too much on American source material. So I suggest some fairly big edits - see below

To whom it may concern,

Ihope this letter finds you well. I am writing to address the letter sent to me on ... relating to the reference ... on ... Thank you for your letter of… , your reference …

Firstly I want to offer my sincere apologies for not being able to produce a valid ticket entitling my travel, and I deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused. I take full responsibility for my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. I have never had a situation like this before and (delete as not true) This incident has served as a valuable lesson for me.

I now fully comprehend the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set forth by the railway. I would be very much grateful to resolve this matter quickly and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to settle the case out of court. (doesn’t really fit in this paragraph)I have taken extra precautions to ensure the validity of my railcard, to prevent any recurrence of such incidents in the future. I have made sure to always check the ticket is my 16-25 railcard and not a 16-17 savers. I understand doing this causes the company to lose a lot of money and I will do right next time.

I am happy would be very grateful if you would allow me to settle this matter by paying (you’re asking them to be kind - it’s not you offering to be generous)the outstanding amount for the fare and the administrative costs incurred by the train company for their time and efforts. I acknowledge the trouble and time invested in this case and I would be most grateful if you could take into consideration, allowing me to settle this as an out of court action.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can swiftly and smoothly resolve this matter out of court. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

Your sincerely ...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Take out “to whom it may concern”, and address it to the person who sent it to you, the Fare Evasion Manager.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I’d suggest replacing ‘I will do right next time’ with ‘I will always buy the correct ticket in future’

AB6

Dear GTR Fare Evasion Manager,

Thank you for your letter on (date) (reference)

Firstly I want to offer my sincere apologies for not being able to produce a valid ticket entitling my travel, and I deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused. I take full responsibility for my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. This incident has served as a valuable lesson for me.

I now fully comprehend the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set forth by the railway. I have taken extra precautions to ensure the validity of my ticket, to prevent any recurrence of such incidents in the future. I have made sure to always check the ticket is correct and valid for my travel. I understand not doing this causes the company to lose a lot of money and I will always purchase the correct ticket next time.

I would be very grateful if you would allow me to settle this matter by paying the outstanding amount for the fare and the administrative costs incurred by the train company for their time and efforts. I acknowledge the trouble and time invested in this case and I would be most grateful if you could take into consideration, allowing me the opportunity to settle this as an out of court action.

Your sincerely ...

gray1404

Established Member
I would also take out: Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can swiftly and smoothly resolve this matter out of court. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

AB6

I would also take out: Once again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can swiftly and smoothly resolve this matter out of court. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.
Should I instead end it with "Once again, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your time and consideration."

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I still think ‘I will always purchase the correct ticket next time’ gives the impression that you’ll only do the right thing next time.
You should stick with ‘I will always purchase the correct ticket in future’ which is clear and unambiguous

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would be very grateful if you would allow me to settle this matter by paying the outstanding amount for the fare and the administrative costs incurred by the train company for their time and efforts. I acknowledge the trouble and time invested in this case and I would be most grateful if you could take into consideration, allowing me the opportunity to settle this as an out of court action.
Two things here - you are writing to the company, so don't refer to the company in the third person, it's "your time", not "their"; and what are you asking them to take into consideration? It's probably best to just leave out the second sentence completely.

AB6

I still think ‘I will always purchase the correct ticket next time’ gives the impression that you’ll only do the right thing next time.
You should stick with ‘I will always purchase the correct ticket in future’ which is clear and unambiguous
Should I also include I have been purchasing the correct ticket ever since.?

Two things here - you are writing to the company, so don't refer to the company in the third person, it's "your time", not "their"; and what are you asking them to take into consideration? It's probably best to just leave out the second sentence completely.
Thank you I will

Hi everyone sorry I have not been active much this is my new response. Could I also have advice on what to do for the letter as I have already written out my response but it is incorrect (example: crossing it all out and attaching a print copy etc) and I want to put this one.

Dear GTR Fare Evasion Manager,

Thank you for your letter on (date) (reference)

Firstly, I want to offer my sincere apologies for not being able to produce a valid ticket entitling my travel, and I deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused. I take full responsibility for my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. This incident has served as a valuable lesson for me.

I now fully comprehend the importance of adhering to the rules and regulations set forth by the railway. I have taken extra precautions to ensure the validity of my ticket and to prevent any recurrence of such incidents in the future. I have made sure to always check that the ticket is correct and valid for my travel. I understand that not doing this causes the company to lose a lot of money, and I will now always purchase the correct ticket.

I would be very grateful if you would allow me to settle this matter by paying the outstanding amount for the fare and the administrative costs incurred by the train company for their time and efforts.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can swiftly and smoothly resolve this matter out of court. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this regard.

Your sincerely...

Any other improvements or corrections I should make?

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I think the last sentence needs amending. They are wanting you to cooperate.
Change it to ‘I appreciate your understanding and would welcome the chance to make a final settlement in respect of the above’ ?

AB6

I think the last sentence needs amending. They are wanting you to cooperate.
Change it to ‘I appreciate your understanding and would welcome the chance to make a final settlement in respect of the above’ ?
Cheers I will amend that

Status
Not open for further replies.