• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leven, Fife and St. Andrews

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

My mother-in-law was born in East Weymss in Fife. It was a small coal town on the coast of the North Sea. There was a rail line that ran along the Fife coast. I have been searching on-line for information about it. I have found some interesting facts. It was shut down in 1963 from the beeching report. It utilized Reid D30 Superheated Scott locomotives. I am curious about the rest of the rolling stock as well as maps that showed it route as well as old maps showing streets as well as the rail line. My wife told me that when she lived in Kennoway, she saw the remains of the rail line. Her daughter lives in Leven and of course the coastal line stopped there as well. I have seen a book about the line, but it would be a bit dear to spend any cash on it right now. We live in Pennsylvania. I have been on this site before, but lost connection when we changed servers. Any infor that can be passed along would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I really wouldn't say that Fife doesn't have scenically exciting parts. More subtle (or less mountainous) than some other parts of Scotland, maybe, but still some of it really is rather scenic.

I don't really know very much about what is left of the route between St Andrews and Leven, but when I was lived up there (15 years ago or so), a lot of the route of the former trackway between St Andrews and Leuchars was still clearly visible from the roads or countryside nearby - the route being marked out by stone dividing walls.

The stationmaster's cottage at the original railway station at St Andrews (on the edge of the town, by the Old Course: it was later replaced by a more central station near where the bus station is now, on City Road) became a pub called "The Jigger Inn" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsore...s-pubs/8634562/The-Jigger-Inn-St-Andrews.html I used to enjoy a drink there back in the day. In a town with many pretty decent pubs, it was one of the better ones.

subway156

My wife and I have been tryin go to find images of the Leven and Kennoway stations. There are many pictures around of the more important stops but very little of the the rest of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.