• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leyland pneumatic throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9016

Can anyone confirm if it was just buses that had Leyland epicyclic gearboxes that had an air controlled throttle (TL11, 6LXB Olympians, Atlanteans, Tigers and Nationals)? Or were there any others (ZF/Voith Olympians, Lynxes & retrofit re-engined Nationals/Tigers)? I am also curious to know if the clutched manual Tigers had pneumatic throttle or clutch operation or if this was hydraulic from PSF. Also, was this a thing with Wilson boxed Bristol, Volvo and Daimler buses too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if it was just buses that had Leyland epicyclic gearboxes that had an air controlled throttle (TL11, 6LXB Olympians, Atlanteans, Tigers and Nationals)? Or were there any others (ZF/Voith Olympians, Lynxes & retrofit re-engined Nationals/Tigers)? I am also curious to know if the clutched manual Tigers had pneumatic throttle or clutch operation or if this was hydraulic from PSF. Also, was this a thing with Wilson boxed Bristol, Volvo and Daimler buses too?

It's over 10 years since I drove one but from memory the two manual TL11 Tigers I've driven had pneumatic throttle at least. The clutch on them was virtually like an on/off switch, tricky to drive until you got used to it.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I'm not sure about the rest, but I recall a conversation with a driver some years ago, where he mentioned that the Royal Tiger (80s version) had an air throttle that required slightly different handling during gear changes to that of a standard Tiger. The two that my local bus company owned had hydracyclic transmissions.

d9016

It's over 10 years since I drove one but from memory the two manual TL11 Tigers I've driven had pneumatic throttle at least. The clutch on them was virtually like an on/off switch, tricky to drive until you got used to it.
Was the clutch hydraulic?

I'm not sure about the rest, but I recall a conversation with a driver some years ago, where he mentioned that the Royal Tiger (80s version) had an air throttle that required slightly different handling during gear changes to that of a standard Tiger. The two that my local bus company owned had hydracyclic transmissions.
Were the hydracyclic ones air throttle as well?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

As far as I'm aware, but bear in mind this was in 1985 and it was anecdotal evidence only! The Royal Tigers only had Hydracyclic or ZF transmissions because of the higher output of the 245/260 TL11 engines. When the Cummins L10 (290bhp) was introduced later on, I think it was only ZF that was available for similar reasons (was an auto available as well as the 6-speed manual?)

Leyland Bus

Hydraulic clutch, air throttle on the Tiger.
Last non Air throttled Leyland was probably the Atlantean bought by Greater Manchester who religiously stuck with a cable throttle on those... hth.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Pretty sure the clutch wasn't pneumatic. Was an absolute nightmare trying to get them (and other Leylands) started on a very cold winters morning as you couldn't rev the engine up to keep it running so they'd keep cutting out.

Either that or you'd wear the battery down by trying to turn it over :lol:

Got a very poor quality potato phone video of me driving this back in the day, the sound isn't too bad though, you can just make out the noise when the clutch is engaged ;

Last edited:

d9016

A pneumatic clutch sounds like it would be a nightmare to feel where the bite point is, anyone know what the fully automatic ZF/Voith Leyland Olympians had? I can see the Voith examples working with a pneumatic throttle setup since they shift hydraulically without trying to intervene with the throttle but I think ZF had a servo on the gearbox which controlled the throttle on some 4HP or 5HP, would these have used an electronic throttle pedal that was wired straight up to the gearbox control module?

Leyland Bus

A pneumatic clutch sounds like it would be a nightmare to feel where the bite point is, anyone know what the fully automatic ZF/Voith Leyland Olympians had? I can see the Voith examples working with a pneumatic throttle setup since they shift hydraulically without trying to intervene with the throttle but I think ZF had a servo on the gearbox which controlled the throttle on some 4HP or 5HP, would these have used an electronic throttle pedal that was wired straight up to the gearbox control module?
I'm pretty sure all Leyland Olympians had air throttles, the later Volvo model had fly by wire throttles.

Status
Not open for further replies.