• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leyland TL11

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
Are there any preserved buses running about with the Leyland TL11 engine? I'd be rather interested to get a feel for what the original Pacer used to sound like before they were re-engined.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
The 141s retained the Leyland PUs, are any of the preserved ones still active?

Are there any preserved buses running about with the Leyland TL11 engine? I'd be rather interested to get a feel for what the original Pacer used to sound like before they were re-engined.
There's certainly a few preserved Leyland Tigers knocking about. If you go on YouTube with Leyland Tiger TL11 you can get the idea... and even better is a sound recording of BR Pacer 142 084 which is pre-change of engine / gearbox. Just search that.

richa2002

Established Member
Thank you all. Unfortunately 141108 was the last remaining example, which as m79900 says, is now with LSL with an unknown future.

ChrisPJ

Theres a couple of former Lothian Olympians with that engine.

Aaron Ashton

AFM 2W is still running around, it made the trip to its birthplace at Lillyhall for Leyland National 50, and I think LN51 as well. Not bad going to say I used to clean it some 22 years ago, it has now been restored to as-delivered condition including the reinstatement of centre doors.

richa2002

Established Member
AFM 2W is still running around, it made the trip to its birthplace at Lillyhall for Leyland National 50, and I think LN51 as well. Not bad going to say I used to clean it some 22 years ago, it has now been restored to as-delivered condition including the reinstatement of centre doors.
Thank you! Very useful.

Titfield

Established Member
Shame you werent at Imberbus as Delaine's Tiger Bus E100 AFW was operating. I had a ride on it from Warminster to Tilshead.

Richard Scott

Established Member
There's a good video on YouTube of a Leyland Lion (C177VSF) with a TL11 engine. Seem to remember Cotterels (sorry can't remember spelling) of Mitcheldean had one and it was an absolute beast of a bus!! Guessing it's been scrapped now?
There are also a couple of the prototype Pacer single car units around, which retain the TL11.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I found this video a while back - a nice reminder of the TL11 sound.

820KDV

This video of former OK Travel Tiger LFT 5X has appeared on YouTube in the past day:

Worth watching the whole thing, but I think the camera positions further back from 9 minutes onwards probably capture the sound of the TL11 better.

What a superbly restored motor, and what wonderful a reminder of a rather special operator from my student days on Tyneside.

Status
Not open for further replies.